Thailand reports 8,656 new COVID-19 cases, 80 more deaths

webfact

12 minutes ago, anchadian said:

The public outcry before the @armypr_news denial shows 2 things:  

1) The reported demise of Thai-US military ties seems a bit exaggerated.

2) More Thais increasingly don’t trust those in power to play fair, especially when it comes to handling #COVID19 and vaccinations.

https://twitter.com/SaksithCNA/status/1414489077492027393

They would be fools not to get the mRNA as a booster while there. It’s free!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Glad you posted those numbers together. Just to pick out one of my favourite towns ...Udon Thani.....to rise from 20 to 106 is concerning.

Yes, my wife is there now. I was shocked to see 105 cases. She says people wear masks to the market and shops etc, but around the village among themselves, hardly at all. It only takes one infected person, down goes a whole village.

It’s a very big province of course. I don’t know how widespread these cases might be.

6 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

Unless hospitals max out capacity, we will hit 10,000 cases this week. Today’s lower numbers are probably just an artifact from low processing yesterday.

Sounds like the hospitals and field hospitals already have:

"NHSO secretary-general Dr. Jadet Thammathat-Aree said that over 2,500 COVID-19 patients, with mild symptoms and are waiting for a hospital bed..." in the greater BKK area

https://www.facebook.com/nbtworld/posts/10158136287362050

Going to be sent to home isolation or community isolation centers instead.

Today, new cases exceeded new recoveries 8,656 vs 3,687. Total hospitalizations, including field hospitals and hospitels, now at 90,578.

51,288 in regular hospitals and 39,290 in alternate facilities.

Screenshot_2.jpg.e6f80e3eb0f0b8daefac097102635898.jpg

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Sounds like the hospitals and field hospitals already have:

"NHSO secretary-general Dr. Jadet Thammathat-Aree said that over 2,500 COVID-19 patients, with mild symptoms and are waiting for a hospital bed..." in the greater BKK area

https://www.facebook.com/nbtworld/posts/10158136287362050

Going to be sent to home isolation or community isolation centers instead.

There are some factors at play that may not mean that hospitals are full. 

First off, inefficiency in the system, such as a doctor not admitting a patient although beds are available. 

Secondly, hospitals are constantly inventing new beds. 

As a result, over 12,000 patients have been admitted into full hospitals in the last 4 days. 

• Haha 2

Covid vaccine: Thailand decides to mix jabs as cases spike

Thailand has changed its vaccine policy to mix China's Sinovac with the AstraZeneca vaccine in a bid to boost protection.

The decision comes after hundreds of medical workers caught Covid despite being fully vaccinated with Sinovac.

Instead of two Sinovac shots, people will now receive the AstraZeneca vaccine after their first Sinovac shot.

More:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-57801251

Edited by anchadian
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, anchadian said:

Thailand has changed its vaccine policy to mix China's Sinovac with the AstraZeneca vaccine in a bid to boost protection.

The decision comes after hundreds of medical workers caught Covid despite being fully vaccinated with Sinovac.

Instead of two Sinovac shots, people will now receive the AstraZeneca vaccine after their first Sinovac shot.

More:

I hope this is the case. It seems medically a sound decision based on what I have read.

Can they implement it though? In Thailand (perhaps many countries) these types of decisions often become the equivalent of  turning a supertanker. How long before rural provinces receive the news and implement it.

And, the 64 thousand dollar question, will there be enough AZ to go around? I doubt it based on what the government has said about future  AZ supplies, to date.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, anchadian said:

More:

So making their own study sample and testing an unknown combination seems like the right idea...Wonder who gave them the idea.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Story now playing on the MCOT news relating that foreign nationals, namely Myanmar folks and such are being required to pay to be vaccinated now as well as having to pay for any and all medical treatment.  Sure glad my GF has a PCH health policy and the Roojai Covid insurance to cover her, but she still will have to pay to be vaccinated.  Most of these workers make 300 baht a day, and having to pay the requested money for a vaccination will take a half month of work wages.......just ludicrous.  Only Thais will get the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines for free.

received_544258833264905.jpeg

received_1168457210298867.jpeg

there were lots of Burmeses workers on KP being vaccinated on Friday morning 9 July they were been given the Chinese rubbish i had mine done in the same place Friday afternoon with many more Farangs we were given the AZ at no cost 

16 minutes ago, anchadian said:

More:

The bright sparks that thought this up? Oh ok say no more. Unbelievable nonsense. The only country in the world with such a diabolical brainwave, that additionally risks the lives of its people.

One dose Sinovac = 3% - 16% effectiveness in real world trials but thats against the basic Chinese strain so against delta even less

One dose AZ = 33% effectiveness in real world trials against Delta (same as pfizer)

You need both doses of AZ to get adequate protection not a mix of Chinese fluid

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

if the rumours are correct 7 medical staff have died not just one as reported 

One of which was a beloved Doctor in Samut Sakhon who had been vaccinated fully with Sinovac. He died just the other day. Sad.

• Sad 1

AstraZeneca to be 2nd dose after Sinovac 1st dose, booster for medics

On Monday, Thailand’s National Communicable Disease Committee (NCDC) approved the use of the AstraZeneca vaccine as a second dose for people who have already received just their first dose of the Sinovac vaccine, with an interval of 3-4 weeks between doses.

The British-Swedish AstraZeneca vaccine will also be used as the third “booster” shot for medical personnel, the majority of whom have been inoculated with China’s Sinovac, according to Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul, in his capacity as the chair of the NCDC meeting.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/astrazeneca-to-be-2nd-dose-after-sinovac-1st-dose-booster-for-medics/

• Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

The bright sparks that thought this up? Oh ok say no more. Unbelievable nonsense. The only country in the world with such a diabolical brainwave, that additionally risks the lives of its people.

One dose Sinovac = 3% - 16% effectiveness in real world trials but thats against the basic Chinese strain so against delta even less

One dose AZ = 33% effectiveness in real world trials against Delta (same as pfizer)

You need both doses of AZ to get adequate protection not a mix of Chinese fluid

Ah. I misread it first time round. Thought it was two of sinovac, a booster of AZ.

in any case, it sounds like a decision made to shut people up, without the intent or ability to follow through. They don’t have enough AZ full stop.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

There goes the 1 million donated by Japan

Yep indeed.

They are talking here of Sinovac first dose then a 3 to 4 week wait before a single dose of AZ, yet.

According the Chile University study Sinovac provides just 3% efficacy in that period, so basically next to useless, thats also not with the Delta variant.

The study by the University of Chile found inoculation to be 56.5 percent effective in protecting recipients two weeks after the second dose, and 27.7 percent effective within the first two weeks.

But for a single dose, efficacy in the 28 days between the first and second dose was only three percent 

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

8,656 positive cases today with 73 of those from prisons, 80 more deaths. Thailand in crisis, ICU's and critical bed shortage at record levels and no end in sight yet to this increasing spread of the virus. Just about everyone here must now be hoping that the measures in place will start to kick in soon but the reality is that looking at other countries ravaged by delta this is going to be a very long and painful haul back to normality.

Rolling 7 day average (up to 10th July only) which includes prison cases and bar chart of community cases.

https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus/country/thailand

data 12 july.png

data 12 july 2.png

Vaccine graphic?

Why were there few cases before February 28, but after February 28 they increased exponentially?

Edited by zhounan

37 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

AstraZeneca to be 2nd dose after Sinovac 1st dose, booster for medics

On Monday, Thailand’s National Communicable Disease Committee (NCDC) approved the use of the AstraZeneca vaccine as a second dose for people who have already received just their first dose of the Sinovac vaccine, with an interval of 3-4 weeks between doses.

The British-Swedish AstraZeneca vaccine will also be used as the third “booster” shot for medical personnel, the majority of whom have been inoculated with China’s Sinovac, according to Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul, in his capacity as the chair of the NCDC meeting.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/astrazeneca-to-be-2nd-dose-after-sinovac-1st-dose-booster-for-medics/

It's not hard to see where this is going: there is going to be a recommendation for a 3rd shot, of AZ. As if the first shot didn't count. 

• Like 2

Posts containing graphs and charts have been removed. This is because the posts did not contain a link to their source.

Replies to these posts have also been removed.

There is a regular contributor to the daily Covid threads who consistently ignores my removal notices. He has also ignored a private message on this matter.

The next time this member posts a chart, graph or graphic relating to Covid and they do not include a source that member will receive a posting holiday.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, anchadian said:

#BreakingNews #newsupdate A new Covid-19 variant – a hybrid of the Alpha and Delta strains – has been discovered in Bangkok, the Department of Medical Sciences reported on Monday.

The new variant was found among seven workers who tested positive at a construction camp in the capital.

New Covid variant reported in Bangkok

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40003142

I hope they not name this variant  Omicron!

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

Yep indeed.

They are talking here of Sinovac first dose then a 3 to 4 week wait before a single dose of AZ, yet.

According the Chile University study Sinovac provides just 3% efficacy in that period, so basically next to useless, thats also not with the Delta variant.

The study by the University of Chile found inoculation to be 56.5 percent effective in protecting recipients two weeks after the second dose, and 27.7 percent effective within the first two weeks.

But for a single dose, efficacy in the 28 days between the first and second dose was only three percent 

Seems like a cust cotting exercise so instead of two AZ doses they just give one AZ and one Sino.They still haven't learnt cheap is not cheaper. 

• Like 2

I have always enjoyed my times in Singapore. It was, until Covid, on my regular visit list. I have followed the ups (praises) and downs of the Covid situation there. Many are ready, rightly or wrongly (not for me to decide), to critisise every effort or lack of that happens here in Thailand in the fight. I think the link below serves to emphasise that may be, it is not quite so easy. Not really Thailand related but I thought it might be interesting for some to read.

https://www.khaleejtimes.com/coronavirus-pandemic/man-gets-9-month-jail-term-for-violating-covid-19-rules-in-singapore

4 hours ago, Macrohistory said:

That article (and the original NYT article on which it's based) doesn't say that people get severe symptoms 3-4 days after initial Delta infection.  It says they are more likely to get severe symptoms 3-4 days after the initial appearance of symptoms than those infected with the Alpha variant.  There is no difference in the time between initial infection and the appearance of symptoms.

Your remark this morning was that you predicted that cases would start falling as soon as they put restrictions in place; therefore, you were taking credit for having predicted the fall in cases on Sunday.  But this makes no sense from a number of perspectives, including that it's still going to take a week to ten days from infection to the appearance of symptoms.  And in any case, the restrictions (or most of them) hadn't even taken effect yet when the Sunday cases were counted.

Try putting your sarcasm filter on!