Thai FDA expected to approve locally-made Favipiravir antiviral drug this month

webfact

Website-Thumbnail-Set-14.jpg

Credit: Government Pharmaceutical Organization (GPO)

Thailand’s Food and Drug Administration (TFDA) is expected to approve the registration of locally-produced Favipiravir antiviral medication this month, to be used in the treatment of COVID-19 patients, according to Deputy Government Spokesperson Rachada Dhnadirek today (Tuesday).

Research and development of local raw materials, to produce precursor ingredients needed to make Favipiravir, jointly undertaken by the National Science and Technology Development Agency (NSTDA), the Government Pharmaceutical Organization (GPO) and PTT Public Company, have been progressing well, Dr. Rachada said.

The cooperation also covers laboratory scale trials, technology transfer up to industrial production level and feasibility studies of commercial development of the Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients (API), she said, adding that this is a model of cooperation between the private and public sectors in the development of Thailand’s pharmaceutical industry.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thai-fda-expected-to-approve-locally-made-favipiravir-antiviral-drug-this-month/

Logo-top-.png
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, Caldera said:

Has Favipiravir actually been shown to have any positive effect on the outcome, anyplace credible?

Anecdotally my wife was treated with Favipiravir in the hospital and she was cleared and able to leave after just a week. Doctor told her that she don't need the additional 2 weeks quarantine which is necessary for recovered patient. Only downside is that she have to taken 12 pills on the first day and 8 twice daily. That caused her to lose appetite and sleep. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Caldera said:

Has Favipiravir actually been shown to have any positive effect on the outcome, anyplace credible?

https://bmcinfectdis.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12879-021-06164-x

This study came to a somewhat different conclusion. That it holds promise for patients with mild to moderate symptoms. Not really what's needed.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, placeholder said:

https://bmcinfectdis.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12879-021-06164-x

This study came to a somewhat different conclusion. That it holds promise for patients with mild to moderate symptoms. Not really what's needed.

I agree with you after my real life experience. I did my research after she was given Favipiravir which is an antigen that evokes an immune response. Even when she was infected, she only experience loss of smell and no fever nor bad cough.