Thailand reports record high 98 coronavirus deaths and 9,186 new cases

webfact

10 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Surprised that you unlike us were not sent to get tested as we had another individual on our floor taken away by ambulance 2 days ago and so we were all asked to go to get a test yesterday at PCT here in Bangkok.  Awaiting the test results now and isolating until we find out.  sucks but it is what it is. 

Interesting. Not sure why there wouldn't be universal guidelines on this. 

Our particular condo is almost empty. In normal times the tenants are 80%+ university students. They have evaporated

I'm not sure what my attitude would be if asked to go take a test.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Another admission of just how weak the first dose of Sinovac is and how much its boosted by second dose of AZ:

On Wednesday, ten medical school deans who advise the government on their Covid-19 response reaffirmed their faith in the drug cocktail of Sinovac and AstraZeneca which they say was 8 times more effective.

https://twitter.com/ThaiEnquirer/status/1415580477788803074

8 times more effective than what? Two doses of sinovac? In which case, how many more times effective would two doses of AZ be?

and seriously, how much research can these guys have done in the time available? A months worth?

Just now, wensiensheng said:

8 times more effective than what? Two doses of sinovac? In which case, how many more times effective would two doses of AZ be?

and seriously, how much research can these guys have done in the time available? A months worth?

Considering that the Chile University study said the first dose Sinovac was only 3% effective with the original strain then a fag packet calculation would probably have been good enough..555

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand on Thursday (July 15) reported 9,186 new COVID-19 cases and 98 additional deaths over the past 24 hours.

It's gone awfully quiet from the two at the top.... not even an "it's under control post"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Quick replication is definitely a problem with this new <deleted>.  Add in now he newest Lambda and Gamma strains being found and it does get worrying.  It would have been great had the world banded together and created just 1 or 2 vaccines that they could be continuously updating as the new variants appear much like the flu vaccines.

I actually think it’s useful that there is competition among the multiple vaccine manufacturers because we will ultimately get better products that way.  The Thai government should have known a long time ago that the mRNA vaccines would be superior.  It was complete insanity to ever put faith (and money) in the Chinese vaccines.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Macrohistory said:

I actually think it’s useful that there is competition among the multiple vaccine manufacturers because we will ultimately get better products that way.  The Thai government should have known a long time ago that the mRNA vaccines would be superior.  It was complete insanity to ever put faith (and money) in the Chinese vaccines.

Actually it wasn't so long ago that it was doubted that mRNA vaccines would even succeed. It seems inevitable in retrospect, but it wasn't at the time.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Actually it wasn't so long ago that it was doubted that mRNA vaccines would even succeed. It seems inevitable in retrospect, but it wasn't at the time.

Really?  Who doubted?  From the get-go, I had my mind set on Moderna or Pfizer.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

It seems that 7,481 new patients were squeezed into the hospital system yesterday (about 2,000 net new patients), but only 1,604 positive cases from proactive testing, a big drop from earlier this week.

My read on that data today is... Thailand once again set a new pandemic record for self-referred COVID cases at 7,481, even while the number of outreach testing cases declined.

The prior daily highs for self-referred COVID cases were 7,159 yesterday and 7,113 on July 11. 

The comparable numbers from late June, about two weeks ago, were 3,683 on June 29 and 3,303 on June 30. Just about doubled in the past two weeks.

2021-07-15e.jpg.425a4213ad451be67a4feea32b1e6390.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/informationcovid19/photos/a.106455480972785/365290835089247/?type=3

• Like 2

Pathetic, so thin skinned

Army files defamation complaint against social media users over “fake news”

Following rumours spread on social media saying Thai soldiers travelling to the US for Pfizer Covid-19 vaccines when they were actually going overseas for parachute training, the Royal Thai Army filed a defamation complaint against 9 people who allegedly spread the so-called “fake news.”

A representative from the army filed a complaint with the Nang Loeng police station yesterday on chief Gen Narongpan Jittkaewtae’s behalf. 8 of the people named in the complaint face charges for posts made on Facebook while the other used Twitter, a source told the Bangkok Post, adding that more people will also face charges.

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/army-files-defamation-complaint-against-social-media-users-over-fake-news

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, anchadian said:

Today there are 98 deaths in #Thailand

61 males & 37 females 2 foreigners died

Median age is 68 (27-108 years)

Most deaths in Bangkok (51), Samut Prakan (14), Nakhon Pathom (7), and Pathum Thani (5)

41 died in less than 6 days of diagnosis

3 died at home

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1415547870086787073

And the breakdown by nationality:

96 Thai, 1 Japan, 1 Myanmar

2021-07-15h.jpg.90b150374090d64cab36074e2bae04bf.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/informationcovid19/photos/a.106455480972785/365290688422595/?type=3

Age range of latest day COVID fatalities as noted above -- 27 to 108... Living to age 108 and then being taken out by COVID. Wow!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 2 is 1 said:

Bangkok numbers has goin down many days i think. What will be case tomorrow if they really try to start testing! Hope they show how many more test they do! Maybe just a dream.

The new case count in Bangkok, with today's update, has declined for the past two days, and is down about 30% from its daily peak of 3,191 on July 10. Today's 2,224 BKK new case number was the lowest of the past week.

But the case numbers are still climbing elsewhere. The North, Northeast and East region provinces have all seen daily case counts more than double in the past nine days.

2021-07-15c.jpg.d7f9a278609eeb556415ff78d27eeb7d.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/informationcovid19/photos/a.106455480972785/365290778422586/?type=3

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Just another field report. In itself means little. 

So the attached pic has gone up in the elevator of our condo. 

The two people sharing a room have tested positive and also have mild symptoms. They were told to isolate in their own room by hospital..

Calls few days later (feeling slightly worse) told to remain/isolate in room. No beds at hospital. I'm guessing if become worse something will be found.

Condo management have been great (as I knew they would) and been bringing them supplies. 

We are on same floor and would expect this to become more prevalent in Bangkok as time goes on.

Screenshot_20210715-150740.png

Keep distance to walk up and down!? So they close elevator! Thinking "our residents need exercise".

Ok joking but why that kind notification who want walk up and down lol. Maybe in stairs has much space easy to keep social distance.

Edited by 2 is 1

Just now, 2 is 1 said:

Keep distance to walk up and down!? So they close elevator! Thinking "our residents need exercise".

Ok joking but why that kind notification who want walk up and down lol.

Still using elevator.

• Haha 1

Since all the  construction site workers left Bangkok and surrounding communities(to free up bed space in the capital imop )and migrated to different  provinces several weeks ago, especially up in the Northeast ,where they quadrupled covid numbers . Me thinks the Govt has run out of options. The provinces are almost near crisis now !

อาจเป็นรูปภาพของ ‎สถานที่ในร่ม, โรงพยาบาล และ‎ข้อความพูดว่า "‎SIN NBT WORLD BAD صحعم Hospital Bed Situation for COVID-19 Patients in Bangkok Is at Critical Level‎"‎‎

Edited by riclag
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Just another field report. In itself means little....

Screenshot_20210715-150740.png

Does "keep distance to walk up and down" mean don't use the elevators (that's assuming your building has them)?

BTW, I've lived here many years now, and am still trying to figure out... just who are the "relevant" and "responsible" agencies in such matters?  Now "irrelevant" and "irresponsible," those I know....  ????

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, wensiensheng said:

In the past week or so, there have been a whole slew of reports by various Thai medical researchers talking about the immunity levels they have found over time in blood test subjects who've had two Sinovac doses and then other variations.

The latest I saw in the week was one such researcher claiming re the Delta virus variant that two doses of Sinovac followed by a booster of AZ (the government's current plan for most medical workers) would confer much greater protective immunity than two Sinovac doses alone.

But the same report by the same researcher said the Sino/AZ regimen would still provide less protection than two regular AZ doses. 

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thai-study-finds-2-doses-of-sinovac-cant-beat-delta-variant-astrazeneca-can/

"The study reveals that two doses of Sinovac, plus a booster dose of AstraZeneca, can prevent the Delta infection better than two doses of Sinovac, but still less than two doses of AstraZeneca, the doctor said."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Does "keep distance to walk up and down" mean don't use the elevators?

BTW, I've lived here many years now, and am still trying to figure out... just who are the "relevant" and "responsible" agencies in such matters?  Now "irrelevant" and "irresponsible," those I know....  ????

Like a lot of things, I think it's lost in translation. 

We are still using the elevators.

The couple is isolating. The condo owner has again contacted hospital but told to wait for beds. 

The reason we have stayed in same condo for 10 years is condo management. The couple is being very well cared for.

Not that we need it but it's nice to see our partners step up. First thing my gf did upon hearing was to run off and get some items for them from Ginger to treats. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, anchadian said:

The first foreigners to arrive as part of the #SamuiPlus scheme landed today on the island. On the first flight were four foreign media who were on a fam trip. They were invited to tell the world that Samui has finally re-opened to fully vaccinated tourists #Thailand

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1415563979888349186

Did they have a treasure map as well as immunity idols?