Soldiers to man checkpoint onto Phuket

webfact

1626329869_1-org.jpg

Phuket Governor Narong Woonciew (left) at the meeting yesterday (July 14). Photo: PPHO

By The Phuket News

PHUKET: Soldiers from the Royal Thai Army will be called in to help conduct checks of people arriving or departing the island through the Phuket Check Point at Tha Chatchai.

The move was confirmed at a meeting of Phuket Communicable Disease Committee held at the EOC Command Center chaired by Phuket Governor Narong Woonciew yesterday (July 14), said a report by the Phuket Provincial Public Health Office (PPHO).

Also present were Phukt Vice Governor Piyapong Choowong and key island health officials PPHO Chief Dr Kusak Kukiattikoon  and Dr Chalermpong Sukontapol, Director of Vachira Phuket Hospital in Phuket Town, the main government hospital on the island.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/soldiers-to-man-checkpoint-onto-phuket-80691.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2021-07-16

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah, history repeat itself in such situations, checkpoint charlie, today only soldiers, tomorrow could be a tank hiding in the bushes, yes, a bit outlandish, this is the thing, we know how theses things start, very hard to predict when and how they will finish...

Edited by ezzra
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Yeah, history repeat itself in such situations, checkpoint charlie, today only soldiers, tomorrow could be a tank hiding in the bushes, yes, a bit outlandish, this is the thing, we know how theses things start, very hard to predict when and how they will finish...

Jesus!

Does your mind REALLY think like that...................

8 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

How it will finish?

They will try and drive a 4 tonne truck cross country up to the rear of the tank to resupply it with fuel, water and rations. That will bog in up to its axles in the soft ground, due to it being the wet season,  which the tank churned up turning to get into position,. They will have to drive the tank up onto the main road in order to get a tow line to the truck, the tank will throw a track trying to climb the roadside crash barrier at the wrong angle, slide back through the soft ground taking out a pole route and bang into the bogged in truck, smashing in the front and writing it off., then it will start to rain...

Just another day in paradise!

Dad's Army.

2 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

Real Army, I assure you - there is no limit to the scope for cock ups when the military (any military) really get their teeth into things. Trust me, I was a soldier for thirty years!

Hahaha......my brother (died last week) joined up at 15, served through to 55........so under no illusions of their ability to cock-up. I was also 'attached' to the MOD for 25 years and have some notion from my own experiences.......555

Just now, Surelynot said:

Hahaha......my brother (died last week) joined up at 15, served through to 55........so under no illusions of their ability to cock-up. I was also 'attached' to the MOD for 25 years and have some notion from my own experiences.......555

Sorry about your Brother.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ah, soldiers again.

Why is it there are not enough police to man checkpoints? Why is it the military have to do it? What happened to civilian authority. Oh, yes, right, I forgot. Got to keep the military sweet, so throw them a bone, let them think they are involved, needed...

Just what tourists want to see, though. Soldiers in the streets, at checkpoints. I

But, then again, depends where you are from. Perhaps you are used to armed troops everywhere.

Edited by Scott Tracy

My own theory is that there is the expectancy of significant numbers of people in the Bangkok area particularly are going to attempt to use Phuket as a 'safe refuge', and that the use of the military might help deter that.   The 10,000 new infections barrier has just been breached today, and the proposed ramping up of testing sure to escalate the numbers even more, those with the means to escape the worse areas for the freedom that Phuket currently offers will be sorely tempting.

• Like 2