Thailand reports again new daily record of COVID-19 cases

webfact

2 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Thailand now shows in Top 50 for covid infections. And critical is now 3700, that's like a 250% rise from 3 weeks ago. 

If you ignore historical infection and concentrate on the here and now, Thailand is currently #13 in new daily infections and #14 in new daily deaths.

In weekly terms,the last 7 days put Thailand at #15 for new infections and #16 in reported deaths. The weekly increase in infections and deaths is +24% (All figures from Worldometers)

1 hour ago, robblok said:

Im not sure your right does not not depend on the actual ages. Not just the highest and lowest. I mean if you have a lot of 80 year old's the median could be higher. Or am i wrong in how a median age is calculated ? Like a weighted average ?

The median is simply the middle value from a data set. I would say its used here as the ages are not normally distributed. The mean is affected by outlier values - a few young ages, but lots of older people, will drag the mean age down but not have much effect on the median, which is based on ranks (not the actual values). 

5 hours ago, anchadian said:

Saksith Saiyasombut

The charging of a Thai celeb for criticizing the Thai govt’s #COVID19 handling and @MDESChaiwut's

’warning to prosecute other #ดาราcallout has only added more fuel to the fire of public opinion turning against them.

@MDESChaiwut tried to defend his words in a heated interview with

@jomquanlast night, saying political expressions are one thing, but ”misleading, ill-intended fake news are still wrong”, to which she then quipped that should apply to the govt as well

https://twitter.com/SaksithCNA/status/1418054222340186115

Quote Tweet

Coconuts Bangkok

Singer Milli 1st celeb charged for criticizing Thai gov’t following minister’s threat #saveมิลลิ became a top trending hashtag on Twitter in Thailand today. https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/singer-milli-1st-celeb-charged-for-criticizing-thai-govt-following-ministers-threat/

UPDATE: Chaiwut has since retracted his original threats and said that celebrities and influencers are allowed to call the government out without being punished. He was just “worried” that the people will believe everything that celebrities say without fact-checking.

https://twitter.com/ThaiEnquirer/status/1418136739307081733

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

I didn’t refer to the official count of deaths in Brazil, which are wildly undercounted, but rather to excess mortality. 

WELL, to clarify the point, in countries like brazil mexico and thailand, many more people will die from lockdown than from the virus. this is the conclusion of some politicians and sceintists there. and of course there are a lot of politics around this corona crisis,and each side interpret the numbers different.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, mrfill said:

If you ignore historical infection and concentrate on the here and now, Thailand is currently #13 in new daily infections and #14 in new daily deaths.

In weekly terms,the last 7 days put Thailand at #15 for new infections and #16 in reported deaths. The weekly increase in infections and deaths is +24% (All figures from Worldometers)

That's why I also posted this chart above:

Screenshot_1.jpg.8381ad891416e5b57b1d9955bb1f2236.jpg

8 hours ago, anchadian said:

PM says Thailand will reopen fully to foreign tourism as infections and deaths continue to rise

General Prayut asked top CEOs to work with the government and try to avoid conflict at this time. He said cooperation between all parties was the only course right now for helping Thai people overcome the current crisis which he acknowledged had left the economy in a ‘volatile’ situation. It comes as a top Federation of Thai Industries official is warning the government that the sole remaining economic engine driving the economy, exports, is now being hampered by rising infection levels and the costs responsible employers are facing to keep testing their workforces.

https://www.thaiexaminer.com/thai-news-foreigners/2021/07/22/pm-reaffirms-reopening-to-foreign-tourism/

Covid infections among the workforces in the Factories was always a priority to control.

However, the Companies did very little testing back when the Virus was more manageable, and now they have production Plants closures and reduced Staffing levels due to Covid.

This situation within the Factories is going to get worse, and the Exports will plummet, which in turn will stress the Economy really badly.

Its only the Export Sector that is bringing any Money into the Country at the moment

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, LosLobo said:

Bangkok Community Help Foundation on Locked Worker Camps

"We went and visited this camp yesterday........... The soldier posted at the gates informed us that the workers currently receive one meal every two days from the developer. So, one half a meal per day. Which is of course unacceptable.

"The members in the camp say that the developer has been gone for five days and they have had no information, since nobody brings them food they fish in the Khlong."

Bangkok Community Help Foundation ???????? on Twitter

Sure that is an incident and will probably be rectified. I was talking about the "normal" population.  This is however unforgiveable but more a bad implication of the lockdown. Im pretty sure that this help foundation will help them. But of course its the duty of the army and the developer.

• Like 1

All medical evidences and experts all over the world are telling us that regular exercise is vital for mental and physical health. We are also told that exercise helps massively in reducing covid symptoms if one gets infected and reduces chances of hospitalisation and death.

Yet, all gyms, pools and parks are closed. Go figure.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

45 minutes ago, mrfill said:

Not sure what you saw on Worldometers, but the Our World in Data site puts Thailand much lower in terms of its current per capita (rolling 7 day average) COVID death rate, ranked around 40+ among all countries:

But, I will say, Thailand's in some very good company among the various other countries higher up on the list... including the four other bolded ASEAN countries with higher death rates. ????

Screenshot_2.jpg.4c231e85f12e81a431895545cbb339c9.jpg

Ecuador 72.08
Namibia 21.36
Fiji 13.86
Seychelles 13.07
Tunisia 12.91
Colombia 8.83
South America 8.19
Argentina 8.12
Paraguay 7.61
Suriname 6.82
Bahamas 6.54
South Africa 6.25
Brazil 5.52
Russia 5.24
Cuba 5.21
Zimbabwe 4.58
Botswana 4.56
Georgia 4.51
Indonesia 4.37
Myanmar 4.29
Chile 4.20
Eswatini 4.19
Malaysia 4.14
Trinidad and Tobago 4.08
Kuwait 3.25
Bolivia 3.17
Kazakhstan 3.13
Honduras 2.58
Iran 2.46
Costa Rica 2.33
Guyana 2.18
Peru 2.13
Uruguay 2.10
Mongolia 2.09
Panama 2.05
Sri Lanka 2.04
Mexico 1.88
Cyprus 1.77
Zambia 1.66
Kyrgyzstan 1.58
Cambodia 1.55
Jamaica 1.40
Thailand 1.38
Europe 1.30
Cape Verde 1.28
Libya 1.27

https://ourworldindata.org/covid-deaths

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, anchadian said:

Subtract low number from the high number in this case 93 minus 24 = 69, divide by 2 = 34.5 and add the low number 24 = 58.5

Median means there the same number of people with ages more than that number and below that number.  Your calculation assumes there is the same number of people in each age which is very unlikely.  Not the way to find a median.

2 minutes ago, Danny Australia said:

All medical evidences and experts all over the world are telling us that regular exercise is vital for mental and physical health. We are also told that exercise helps massively in reducing covid symptoms if one gets infected and reduces chances of hospitalisation and death.

It's not about science, it's about looking like they are doing something.  Besides, since alcohol has had a cast iron alibi for the last 3 months they need a new patsy to blame for the infection spreading.  Now that people are being forced to exercise on the streets it won't be long before there are images of joggers on crowded streets/paths either without face masks or that have their face masks pulled below their mouths so they can take in oxygen plastered all over the media as "proof" that they are the ones responsible for all the covid spreading.   

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, mojaco said:

Median means there the same number of people with ages more than that number and below that number.  Your calculation assumes there is the same number of people in each age which is very unlikely.  Not the way to find a median.

Median is the middle score when results are placed from lowest to highest.

For odd number of scores it's the one result in the middle.

For even number of scores you average the two middle scores.

Mean (average) is total of all scores ÷ total number of scores

Edited by DrJack54

5 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Prayut told Covid task force he did not want to see pics of Covid patients waiting for hospital beds on the street again. Two ways this could happen:

1) increase access to hospital beds,

2) control sharing of such pics on social media.

Which do you think?

96jt4lXT?format=jpg&name=small

https://twitter.com/Thai_Talk/status/1418142621982085120

Looks like media and social media will have the photos removed, account locked a and banned and possibly fined is how I read that. Yes I am being negative, but then it's what his tone tells me.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, aussienam said:

The Thai government needs to be doing everything possible to get vaccines now.  EVERYTHING. 

The government spokesman has apologised.  Ok, but that does not stop daily deaths and massive infection numbers (Australian Prime Minister just 'apologized' today as well, due to public outcry, albeit a deflected one)

The ICU units and oxygen supplies are becoming unavailable to many critical patients - for both COVID related and non-COVID patients.  People will die unnecessarily (as is currently happening). 

Get the money wherever you can and order realistic amounts of effective vaccines.  That means well over 100 million vials.  Not token gesture amounts of 20 million etc.  Make a serious commitment and get it done.  

The government can blame over and over and over the behaviour of people for not isolating etc.  This is rinse/repeat government blaming the people -globally. 

As a local Bangkok international lawyer recently and aptly pointed out in response to hard lockdowns, "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different outcome".  The lockdowns will NOT get rid of COVID.  You will never get 100% eradication. 

You can put out spot fires here and there but the embers are still burning and ready to flame back up. Humans are fallible creatures and there will always be those who will not comply, who make mistakes, etc.  Hence why outbreaks will just keep happening.  

The government's recent threat to implement a Wuhan-style lockdown is draconian, inhumane, traumatic, only a temporary measure and just fuels more economic devastation.  If you are in the shoes of those facing bankruptcy it becomes very real.  Not dismissive HISOs, those benefiting from COVID and other recipients of government or passive incomes unaffected from lockdowns.  

The only way out of this living hell is huge scale and rapid vaccination.  Banging my already sore head against the wall.  

I think most people agree with you. But you can’t just snap your fingers and 70 million people are vaccinated. Even with efficient government, it takes time. The UK is supposed to have done an excellent job, even now they’re at, what, 65% or so.

so how to bridge the gap between now and when vaccinations are completed?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, robblok said:

Sure that is an incident and will probably be rectified. I was talking about the "normal" population.  This is however unforgiveable but more a bad implication of the lockdown. Im pretty sure that this help foundation will help them. But of course its the duty of the army and the developer.

To see people going hungry and struggling from the restrictions during this pandemic I only have to look next door to me and see someone in our family who was working in Bangkok and had a job and had just bought a new pickup.He lost his job and the pickup and moved back to the village where he hunts rats eats dogs cuts down trees to sell and eats our food because he is hungry and because he is a bit of a smart ar$ (a bit like FFF was/is) he can't can't rely on other members of his family. Of course he is responsible for the position he is in being to proud and wilful to change his ways he has about five kids by three different women and the last of these lives with us because the mum has bolted and left him with the kid.This guy's younger brother is the exact opposite.

Like the covid numbers the numbers of people suffering from hunger or even dying from it could easily be manipulated.The numbers of people going hungry might not be so much of a concern right now but I think that could change quickly if a full lockdown were to be implemented and that is where my concern lies.

The fact that it's the Thai administration's responsibility to take care of its poorer citizens does little to help those when they fail to do so.

I hope you can appreciate that I'm not a beer swilling barstool operator though I have swilled a lifetimes worth of beer and operated many a barstool including many in Bangkok I've since had my barstool operators licence revoked by Mrs FFF. 

36 minutes ago, Danny Australia said:

True. And closing  parks doesn’t make sense to me. But I think you need to have been exercising for a while for it to be effective in terms of your overall resistance to disease. You can’t just start today and alter your chances.

but if you haven’t been exercising, it’s a good idea to start sometime.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

WELL, to clarify the point, in countries like brazil mexico and thailand, many more people will die from lockdown than from the virus. this is the conclusion of some politicians and sceintists there. and of course there are a lot of politics around this corona crisis,and each side interpret the numbers different.

I wouldn’t mind reading what the politicians and scientists from Brazil said. Do you have any links in English?

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Looks like media and social media will have the photos removed, account locked a and banned and possibly fined is how I read that. Yes I am being negative, but then it's what his tone tells me.

Surely those present would have respectfully reminded him that as Covid Czar that it was his job, before exiting the room swiftly.

• Haha 1

UPDATE: Chaiwut has since retracted his original threats and said that celebrities and influencers are allowed to call the government out without being punished. He was just “worried” that the people will believe everything that celebrities say without fact-checking.

https://twitter.com/ThaiEnquirer/status/1418136739307081733

Thai police says it will launch probes into 25 artists and celebrities for criticizing the govt’s #COVID19 handling online, despite @MDESChaiwut back pedaling from his warning against them.

One person earlier today was already fined.

#ดาราcallout #WhatsHappeningInThailand

https://twitter.com/SaksithCNA/status/1418149819520978947

Just now, FarFlungFalang said:

Surely those present would have respectfully reminded him that as Covid Czar that it was his job, before exiting the room swiftly.

Run forest run the man has an armory at his disposal since he is also the defense minister.

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Danny Australia said:

From a COVID public health standpoint, you really don't want a lot of people clustered together in one place indoors doing a lot of heavy breathing and sweating on the equipment.

But I'll agree, the argument relating to parks and pools seems much more dubious, unless people are using those venues to congregate socially (which they shouldn't) instead of simply exercising solo.

1 minute ago, anchadian said:

Thai police says it will launch probes into 25 artists and celebrities for criticizing the govt’s #COVID19 handling online, despite @MDESChaiwut back pedaling from his warning against them.

One person earlier today was already fined.

#ดาราcallout #WhatsHappeningInThailand

https://twitter.com/SaksithCNA/status/1418149819520978947

Countries going to hell in a hand basket at this rate.  Just adding more fuel to the fire for the public to burn them with.  Amazing hubris.

Following the success of #PhuketSandbox & #SamuiPlus, the TAT Governor said that he’s preparing to propose a 7+7 model which is to connect vaccinated foreign tourists in Phuket to other destinations after only seven days. If approved, this could start as early as 1st August [1/2]

If they pass their covid test, vaccinated tourists could go to: Surat Thani Province: Koh Samui, Koh Phangan and Koh Tao Krabi Province: Koh Phi Phi, Koh Ngai and Railay Phang Nga Province: Khao Lak, Koh Yao Noi and Koh Yao Yai #PhuketSandbox #SamuiPlus #Thailand [2/2]

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1418132660749180930

Having seen the minuscule number of tourists in Phuket and the almost non existent numbers in Samui, I almost get the feeling that provinces want to get in on the sandbox idea because then their provinces will receive priority for vaccines, and from that be able to live normal lives rather than have lockdowns.

The actual tourists are irrelevant both in terms of danger to local population and income generated.

• Like 1