Thailand reports again new daily record of COVID-19 cases

webfact

COVID22.JPG

File photo//REUTERS/Chalinee Thirasupa

Thailand on Thursday (July 22) reported 13,655 new COVID-19 cases and 87 additional deaths over the past 24 hours. 

● 13,110 new infections
● 545 prison / prison infections

Thursday’s cases bring the total number of COVID-19 infections in Thailand to 453,132 with 3,697 deaths. 

(Total infections since April 1: 424,269)

The news comes as Thailand’s National Vaccine Institute (NVI) Director Nakorn Premsri offered an apology to the public on Wednesday for the slow and insufficient national COVID-19 vaccine rollout, saying mutations of the virus were unforeseen, while promising that the country will join the COVAX program to receive donated vaccines next year

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright ASEAN NOW 2021-07-22

- Whatever you're going through, the Samaritans are here for you

218178744_370199551265042_6915110882695994183_n.jpg

202024327_363436595295036_7316039368414465284_n.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

10 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

-Highway checkpoints set up to discourage travel out of dark red zone provinces. Public asked to register online in advance any such trips to obtain a QR code document.

The registration can now be completed in English:

https://covid-19.in.th/en

Thank you @brewsterbudgen for the link.  Just in case I need to leave BKK for one of the reasons listed.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, anchadian said:

PM says Thailand will reopen fully to foreign tourism as infections and deaths continue to rise

General Prayut asked top CEOs to work with the government and try to avoid conflict at this time. He said cooperation between all parties was the only course right now for helping Thai people overcome the current crisis which he acknowledged had left the economy in a ‘volatile’ situation. It comes as a top Federation of Thai Industries official is warning the government that the sole remaining economic engine driving the economy, exports, is now being hampered by rising infection levels and the costs responsible employers are facing to keep testing their workforces.

https://www.thaiexaminer.com/thai-news-foreigners/2021/07/22/pm-reaffirms-reopening-to-foreign-tourism/

Yes, parts of the economy affected by Covid go far beyond Tourism. As Covid hits factories, many are shutting down. Often these are parts suppliers to other industries or services within Thailand, who then have to scramble to find alternate sources, or else shut down themselves. This creates a snowball effect.

The long term danger of this is that Thai-based parts suppliers who export will come to be viewed an unreliable, or perhaps a better way to say it is international manufacturers, seeing how supply chains can be disrupted, will look to source closer to home, or even invest in vertical integration so that they need not rely on far-flung supply partners. Covid could put a dent in 'globalization', which could affect many Thai (and Chinese) manufacturers/exporters.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, FarFlungFalang said:

It's a lockdown, a lockdown shuts things down.To beat this virus everything must lockdown, it has been mentioned a total lockdown maybe implemented to stop the virus and then you will be required to survive on the food and water the government delivers to you home.I notice those calling for lockdowns are now complaining about things being locked down.Becareful what you wish for.I for one would not wish to be lockdown in a city and rely on an inept administration to feed me because if that happens you won't get to choose between a boiled egg and rice or a fermented fish head and rice.

A lockdown still needs to make sense, by allowing just food deliveries you keep contact to a minimum. I have already taken measures for food. Got a big freezer.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

CCSA Update on Closures and Exemptions:

On Wednesday, the government’s COVID oversight agency, the CCSA, further clarified what businesses and public venues must be closed, or can remain open, in the 13 so-called dark red zone provinces that include Bangkok, five adjoining provinces, four provinces in the south and three others including Chonburi:

Not included in the closures list below are any kind of factories or manufacturing facilities, even though those have had some of the largest and most prevalent COVID outbreak clusters in the country.

But the government added many new types of venues to its closure list including sports stadiums, sports fields, public parks (to the disbelief of many), swimming pools, beauty salons and barber and tattoo shops, libraries, museums, art galleries, exhibition centers and historical sites. Officials said Bangkok province will begin enforcing those closures effective this Friday.

I don't know how many hundreds of thousands now have zero income following this latest list of closure orders, but I have yet to see what measures the government is taking to support these people.   Has anything been announced from the government about what they are doing to provide people with money to buy food and pay their rent?  

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

-Highway checkpoints set up to discourage travel out of dark red zone provinces. Public asked to register online in advance any such trips to obtain a QR code document.

The registration can now be completed in English:

https://covid-19.in.th/en

Well done on an English version.

But I couldn't input a date (by default it gave today's date), so it seems to only work for day of travel?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, anchadian said:

PM says Thailand will reopen fully to foreign tourism as infections and deaths continue to rise

General Prayut asked top CEOs to work with the government and try to avoid conflict at this time. He said cooperation between all parties was the only course right now for helping Thai people overcome the current crisis which he acknowledged had left the economy in a ‘volatile’ situation. It comes as a top Federation of Thai Industries official is warning the government that the sole remaining economic engine driving the economy, exports, is now being hampered by rising infection levels and the costs responsible employers are facing to keep testing their workforces.

https://www.thaiexaminer.com/thai-news-foreigners/2021/07/22/pm-reaffirms-reopening-to-foreign-tourism/

If this is the PM's strategy for less than 90 days from now, he needs to get on the ball and get vaccines into the country and the country vaccinated to a large percentage.  If not then why not just open it all now since he will not backtrack on his statement he made in June apparently and the increasing cases and deaths seem to be just a minor nuisance.  The man seems truly intent on opening, so as I said why does he just not do it now and see where the chips may fall.  From the link in the above post.  IT says it all from my view.

"PM restates commitment from June that Thailand will fully reopen to foreign tourism within 120 days

During the meeting, the prime minister was particularly certain that Thailand’s plan to reopen to foreign tourism which was announced by him on June 16th last when he stated that the country would fully reopen within 120 days, was still the goal of his government."  He again reiterated his pledge to reopen Thailand in 120 days but stressed that the government will listen to anyone with concerns. 

He said his promise will be kept but also explained that all such measures will ultimately be a matter for the government and the cabinet to decide upon collectively. ‘I would like to confirm the 120-day opening of the country, which has already started in Phuket and Samui. This will continue to expand to other areas where the government and the private sector are determined to move forward in the country for the happiness of all Thai people. We are ready to accept and deal with concerns on every issue. This will be discussed with the Cabinet and the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) in the future,’ said the prime minister.

5 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I wouldn't call this a "lockdown."  Assuming the rules were actually followed and enforced (which they're apparently not in many areas), I'd call it more of a selective closures policy....

It's kind of hard to fathom why NONE of the closure orders involve any kind of factories, which have been hotspots for COVID outbreaks, while at the same time they're closing swimming pools, museums, public parks, etc., NONE of which have had any major role in spreading the virus nor are likely to have.

I agree that it's a partial lockdown or a pretend lockdown, a mere window dressing lockdown.They know full well they can't afford an effective lockdown.They are just going to ride it out the best they can, and that best may be as good as their vaccine program and we know how that's going.

• Like 1