Thailand reports again new daily record of COVID-19 cases

webfact

1 hour ago, James105 said:

I don't know how many hundreds of thousands now have zero income following this latest list of closure orders, but I have yet to see what measures the government is taking to support these people.   Has anything been announced from the government about what they are doing to provide people with money to buy food and pay their rent?  

Those who are in the Social Security system get some funding, but the dates keep getting moved forward. It was supposed to be today, but it's now 2 August.

All social security members can receive 2500 baht. This is only a one-time payment.

Those who have paid into the system at least 6 of the last 15 months, and whose employer has closed because of the pandemic, can receive a maximum of 7500 baht (a function of their salary). This payment can be made for 3 months.

Perhaps it can be done, but living on 2500 or 7500 in Bangkok seems like a magic act.

Edited by Walker88
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, The Cipher said:

Had a thought as I prepare to rush out the door to get a haircut...

Can you guys imagine if humanity as a species had taken all of the funds and all of the lost output that we spent fighting the relatively minor issue of Covid-19 and directed those resources with the same single-minded intensity to fighting the actually material issues of climate change, aging, and interstellar settlement?

But no. Something something peoplearescared. ????‍♂️????‍♂️????‍♂️

No, I can’t imagine. Well, climate change, yes. Aging would be a low priority for me. Interstellar settlement? Why would you want to mess up another planet, we haven’t finished this one yet.

6 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

Those who are in the Social Security system get some funding, but the dates keep getting moved forward. It was supposed to be today, but it's now 2 August.

All social security members can receive 2500 baht. This is only a one-time payment.

Those who have paid into the system at least 6 of the last 15 months, and whose employer has closed because of the pandemic, can receive a maximum of 7500 baht (a function of their salary). This payment can be made for 3 months.

Perhaps it can be done, but living on 2500 or 7500 in Bangkok seems like a magic act.

The government is broke, and a lot of people are not in the system. Unlike in the west (or at least my country) where people got covid support its really bad in Thailand. I am pro lockdowns however its the goverment its obligation to make sure that people get money. Then slash the military budget as they are the ones who failed. Let them suffer instead of the populace.

40 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Yes, but still a big difference in effectiveness against the Delta variant between the two:

--Pfizer, 88%

--AZ, 67%

BTW, MoPH yesterday had an update on variant testing in Bangkok as follows:

1397570571_2021-07-21BKKvariantbreakdown.jpg.fee514d040edaaac7c4a674af64d489b.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/informationcovid19/photos/a.106455480972785/369693257982338/?type=3

Not sure if I am interpreting it correctly, but my immediate take away from that chart is that delta still has a lot of unexplored territory for it to conquer.

1 hour ago, James105 said:

I don't know how many hundreds of thousands now have zero income following this latest list of closure orders, but I have yet to see what measures the government is taking to support these people.   Has anything been announced from the government about what they are doing to provide people with money to buy food and pay their rent?  

There has been some announcements of plans and promises I've seen but I have seen any announcements of it actually occurring which is one of the biggest complaints about the leaders.On the rare occasions it does occur it's usually a snouts in the trough exercise.Like people who can afford to travel get a susbsidy ( it should be subsidy but it's rather sus).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, robblok said:

A lockdown still needs to make sense, by allowing just food deliveries you keep contact to a minimum.

if you are not kidding, than you are very wrong. you do not want to be locked down oh no.

feels like thailand is traveling back in time to the wuhan days...no you cannot do that thailand.

there is much more knowledge now about the virus. crazy china lockdown will destroy what's left from thai economy.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

Chonburi Public Health Office has just announced they have 620 new cases and three more deaths. Most new cases are in Chonburi City (101), Bang Lamung/Pattaya (151), and Si Racha (204). The total cases so far is now 17,783 with 7,821 remaining in care

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1417998944521506819

Are there any links for Chiang Mai figures?

3 minutes ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

if you are not kidding, than you are very wrong. you do not want to be locked down oh no.

feels like thailand is traveling back in time to the wuhan days...no you cannot do that thailand.

there is much more knowledge now about the virus. crazy china lockdown will destroy what's left from thai economy.

I think you misunderstood me, i am for a partial lockdown not a Wuhan style.

I am just saying that its strange that food deliveries from Malls are not stopped. I am saying that food deliveries have minimal contact.

There is actually an article in the BKK post about this where people working in the food sector are questioning this as well. 

47 minutes ago, Denim said:

Glad we don't live in Bangkok anymore. Life here goes on more or less as normal. I'd hate to be banged up in a 25 square meter condo room. At least in the village I can go for a long walk with the dogs through shaded woods and quiet footpaths without meeting a soul. Later a trip to our local

Big C which is usually pretty quiet these days.

Shaded woods and quiet paths sound idyllic.  Now parks are closed, all I can do is take a long stroll down Sukhumvit Road - usually Nana to Phra Khanong or On Nut, and back.  Not idyllic although often interesting!

2 minutes ago, robblok said:

I am just saying that its strange that food deliveries from Malls are not stopped. I am saying that food deliveries have minimal contact.

not sure what you are saying, or want to say, but what i am saying is that all those lockdowns are useless because this virus cannot be controlled. this is what most countries understand now. the thing now is to live besides the virus, not trying to eliminate it.

definately not to the point of food deliveries. do not even think about stopping food deliveries.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

not sure what you are saying, or want to say, but what i am saying is that all those lockdowns are useless because this virus cannot be controlled. this is what most countries understand now. the thing now is to live besides the virus, not trying to eliminate it.

definately not to the point of food deliveries. do not even think about stopping food deliveries.

Then we disagree partly, the virus cannot be controlled it can be slowed down. If you open up high risk things it only gets worse. The health system is overloaded. People die on the street. Without a lockdown of high risk stuff it would be worse. Pure science can't be argued against. Less contact is less spread.

However lockdowns are only good if you got your vaccination on order otherwise lockdowns will slow the spread but it will keep rising (at a slower pace but still rising). I doubt you want Indian situation. Where now they say that instead of the 400k deaths they think 3 to 4 million is more accurate.  That was because the health system could not cope anymore.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

In Pattaya aren't you allowed to exercise on the beach or seafront "promenade"?

Think you missed ,banged up, but yes, so far no change I’ve noticed to getting out n about. I don’t go to beach road tho as Central cases spook me.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Except as @ThailandRyan points out above, everything is not locked down including supermarkets in malls, so allowing mall restaurants to sell take-out food and food for delivery, would make sense.

At my local tesco, all other shops inside the premises are closed.

Swensens, coffee shops, bread shop, hairdresser, food for take away, mobile phone shops. Even in Tesco, clothes department closed.

Pretty much everything besides food inside tesco.

• Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

In Pattaya aren't you allowed to exercise on the beach or seafront "promenade"?

You are, but this is likely to start getting very, very crowded as there is only a small window of time to do this where the sun is not blazing prior to curfew.   The closure of gyms along with the curfew led to the parks becoming much busier with walkers and joggers and these people (including myself) will naturally move on to the beach roads to exercise.    Closing outdoor spaces like parks is a stupid thing to do and if they were genuinely concerned about people spreading corona in parks then they have now made the problem worse.  

The next step is of course to ban exercise completely, but since inactive people are more likely to have severe illness from covid then this will of course lead to more deaths and more hospital beds being taken.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

Interstellar settlement? Why would you want to mess up another planet, we haven’t finished this one yet.

If the planet is a seed then we as life might do to it what life does to other seeds and that is use it up to spread life further.We could also, if we get our act together, preserve this source of life whilst trying to spread life further, kind of like the virus is doing now, and as we can see the virus doesn't always kill the host, in fact it maybe making humanity stronger and better equiped to survive.On and individual level that seems pretty nasty but life can be pretty nasty as can be witnessed in Forrest Gump's box of chocolates, you never know if what you get is going to be nasty or not? 

Just now, James105 said:

You are, but this is likely to start getting very, very crowded as there is only a small window of time to do this where the sun is not blazing prior to curfew.   The closure of gyms along with the curfew led to the parks becoming much busier with walkers and joggers and these people (including myself) will naturally move on to the beach roads to exercise.    Closing outdoor spaces like parks is a stupid thing to do and if they were genuinely concerned about people spreading corona in parks then they have now made the problem worse.  

The next step is of course to ban exercise completely, but since inactive people are more likely to have severe illness from covid then this will of course lead to more deaths and more hospital beds being taken.   

Exactly.  Closing Bangkok's parks just brings all the joggers onto the city's footpaths where there is much less space!  Crazy.

2 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Anutin and Prayut to offer their sincere apologies with no excuses

That's simply NOT going to happen. They should be arrested and charged with "criminal negligence resulting in death".

2 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Had they taken such actions in closing everything and restricting travel before Songkran we probably wouldn't be in the situation we are now. Finally joining COVAX will hopefully help in the vaccine supply and that really should be the biggest priority for the country right now, as the current levels are pathetic.

They are far too late to join COVAX which has already moved on from the phase of supplying self financing participants on the grounds that they have now had adequate time to procure their own vaccines, e.g. South Africa has had a lot of Pfizer for about 2 months.  COVAX is now focusing on supplying impoverished countries that cannot pay for vaccines, especially Africa where a horrendus situation is unfolding that threatens the rest of the world. Also under COVAX rules you have to accept Sinovac, Sinopharm or Sputnik, if that's what they have available.

1 hour ago, Denim said:

Glad we don't live in Bangkok anymore. Life here goes on more or less as normal. I'd hate to be banged up in a 25 square meter condo room. At least in the village I can go for a long walk with the dogs through shaded woods and quiet footpaths without meeting a soul. Later a trip to our local

Big C which is usually pretty quiet these days.

There are units bigger than 25sqM, but I get what your trying to say.  Its what one makes of the situation we are in.  Stay safe.

24 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Saksith Saiyasombut

The charging of a Thai celeb for criticizing the Thai govt’s #COVID19 handling and @MDESChaiwut's

’warning to prosecute other #ดาราcallout has only added more fuel to the fire of public opinion turning against them.

@MDESChaiwut tried to defend his words in a heated interview with

@jomquanlast night, saying political expressions are one thing, but ”misleading, ill-intended fake news are still wrong”, to which she then quipped that should apply to the govt as well

https://twitter.com/SaksithCNA/status/1418054222340186115

Quote Tweet

Coconuts Bangkok

Singer Milli 1st celeb charged for criticizing Thai gov’t following minister’s threat #saveมิลลิ became a top trending hashtag on Twitter in Thailand today. https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/singer-milli-1st-celeb-charged-for-criticizing-thai-govt-following-ministers-threat/

Milli, an 18-year old rapper, is being charged for allegedly defaming Prayut. The plaintiff said one of Milli's posts on social media could be considered as defamation and the police are looking if her other posts have violated any other criminal laws.

https://twitter.com/ThaiEnquirer/status/1418061303826944000

• Confused 2

2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Two doses of Pfizer, AstraZeneca shots effective against Delta variant: study

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/two-doses-of-pfizer-astrazeneca-shots-effective-against-delta-variant-study/

But big difference in effectiveness between the two different vaccines, nonetheless:

"Wednesday’s study found that two doses of Pfizer‘s shot was 88% effective at preventing symptomatic disease from the Delta variant, compared to 93.7% against the Alpha variant, broadly the same as previously reported.

Two shots of AstraZeneca vaccine were 67% effective against the Delta variant, up from 60% originally reported, and 74.5% effective against the Alpha variant, compared to an original estimate of 66% effectiveness."

Too bad none of the Thai government purchased Pfizer doses are likely to begin being distributed in Thailand until almost a full year after the vaccine was originally approved!

Well, in virtually all the studies I have seen, all the vaccines are a lot closer in effectiveness re: preventing hospitalizations and deaths than they are in preventing any symptoms at all.

1 hour ago, anchadian said:

Walk-in vaccination began today (July 22) until July 31 at #Bangkok's Bang Sue Grand Station for people aged 60+, pregnant women (12 weeks+), and those weighing 100 kg+. Long queue in front of the site this morning. #Thailand #ThailandUpdate

https://twitter.com/ThaiPBSWorld/status/1418036891060891648

Don't you think these walk-ins are not the most efficient way to vaccinate the population?

I don't know, they look arbitrary, not a well structured vaccination program organized by age groups, calling people age group by age group starting with the elderly...

Edited by dan42
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1