Forum maintenance tonight from approx. 11pm - 1.30am ×

Thailand reports 14,150 new COVID-19 cases, 118 more deaths

webfact

5 minutes ago, anchadian said:

#PhuketSandbox update on Tuesday: Today saw 38 local cases, which is a new high, and two more sandbox cases. 229 patients are now in hospital. So far, the majority of patients are locals as only 28 people in the sandbox tested positive in the last 27 days #Thailand

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1419995036658257924

Any source to find out if ICU and/or critical care beds are maxed out?

10 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Sinovac will be disregarded by all countries using it except those who are being pressured by the CCP or there is a finacial arrangement to fill pockets. mRNA is too far away for mass vaccination in Thailand. I said a week ago or so that if I could get 2 AZ this yr and mRNA booster nxt yr that's not too bad. 1 AZ down. 2nd in October and who knows about the booster nxt yr. Someone on here said "You're dreaming." You know who you are. You were wrong. It is happening it's just that it should have happened a long time ago and it didn't because of.........corruption. No COVAX just SinoVac.

Most likely Coronavac will be superseded in the not so distant future. But as numerous health experts say, if that's all there is, then take it.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Study shows AZ+mRNA vaccination regimen is as good as two doses of mRNA

An immunogenicity study, conducted in Germany, shows the mixed use of viral vector and mRNA vaccines induces a significantly high level of anti-spike and neutralizing antibodies, close to the level induced by two doses of mRNA vaccine, according to Professor Dr. Manop Pithukpakorn, head of the Excellence Centre for Genomics and Precision Medicine at Siriraj Hospital.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/study-shows-azmrna-vaccination-regimen-is-as-good-as-two-doses-of-mrna/

Question would be,  how much time between the AZ and MRNA vaccinations should there be.

10 minutes ago, placeholder said:

You sure about that?

WHO validates Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine for emergency use and issues interim policy recommendations

WHO today validated the Sinovac-CoronaVac COVID-19 vaccine for emergency use, giving countries, funders, procuring agencies and communities the assurance that it meets international standards for safety, efficacy and manufacturing. The vaccine is produced by the Beijing-based pharmaceutical company Sinovac.

https://www.who.int/news/item/01-06-2021-who-validates-sinovac-covid-19-vaccine-for-emergency-use-and-issues-interim-policy-recommendations

For emergency use. That is as maybe but the fact still remains that it would not be good enough to fly to UK. And who has passed it being suitable for over 60s? Is this just a crafty ploy to use the surplus Sinovac and appease the Chinese masters?There is still a great deal of mystery around all this and to be honest, I would not trust any of the authority figures here at the moment!! 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Question would be,  how much time between the AZ and MRNA vaccinations should there be.

"The study found a strong immune response in people who were dosed with the vaccine developed by pharmaceutical company Pfizer, based in New York City, and biotechnology firm BioNTech in Mainz, Germany, 8–12 weeks after receiving a dose of the Oxford–AstraZeneca vaccine."

Mix-and-match COVID vaccines: the case is growing, but questions remain (nature.com)

• Like 1

I was going to post the photos but then I thought not.  Photos in the link.

This suggests an appalling lack of communication/education. It’s Covid, it’s not Ebola. This so reminds me of the early ‘80s fears around people with HIV. Panic out of all proportion to risk. The other issue that jumps out is people working til they die. This too is appalling.

Quote Tweet

We do not know. What we do know is people are afraid to offer immediate assistance if someone collapsed on the streets due 2 fears of #COVID19 infections. So my advice is, try not to collapse in public areas. #Thailand #whatishappeninginthailand #โควิด19 #โควิดวันนี้ #ม็อบแท็กซี่

https://twitter.com/richardjcoker/status/1419990201145839617

• Like 1

1 hour ago, worrab said:

But Sinovac is still under review. Not supported by WHO. Not acceptable to many countries as being counted as vaccinated. No real testing has been done regarding Sinovac followed by AZ despite that wishy washy report today. Not supposed to be gioven to over 60s. Need I go on. We have every right to opt for what is considered to be the best option. Hence my wait for Moderna. None of this would have needed to be discussed if the Thai authorities had ordered the vaccines last year instead of resting on their laurels. 

Of course you have every right to choose what vaccine you wish to have, I haven't said otherwise I'm just asking a question.Recently an article said 600 medical staff tested positive I'll ask how many died?How many of those dying recently have been vaccinated with sinovac?Until we see this type of data we don't know one way or the other how well sinovac stops deaths and serious illness.Experts here in Thailand says that sinovac works well at preventing serious illness and death, are we not supposed to listen and trust the experts?If not who?Is it only some experts we should listen to?If so which experts should we listen to?Who decides which experts we should listen to and trust?

The point of my original question was about risk assessment something most of us do each day and what risks we are able to accept and are we willing to say we will accept a certain level of risk.The poster I asked this elected not to say that he was prepared take a risk of endangering peoples lives by not accepting the sinovac jab.He could have said as much but choose not to, fair enough, because it's a touchy subject though I'm not sure why it is a touchy subject, maybe because people are apprehensive about how they will be judged as there seems to be a lot of judgemental things being said in the last 18 months.Soon people will be told how much risk they will be asked or told they have to accept by those governing people.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Well it aint all there is.  If it is it's down to pressure from the CCP and corruption i.e. We are not joining COVAX and will only buy the Chinese juice. As for what the numerous health experts say I've heard this come out of the WHO. Remember the WHO who listened to the CCP at the very beginning. The WHO who said global travel is ok because we believe the CCP and this is not human to human transmissable. The WHO who said you don't have to wear masks. The WHO who sent in an investigative team to Wuhan led by a person directlty linked to the Wuhan lab and gain of function resrearch on bat viruses in said lab. The WHO which gave Coronavac a 52% pass rate. Maybe I am being a tad too cynical. 

If it was only the WHO that was saying this, your point would still be bad. But it's irrelevant.

https://www.voanews.com/covid-19-pandemic/sinovac-vaccine-falls-short-expectations-options-limited

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, morrobay said:

The comparison with seasonal flu and covid 19 (delta) is the R0: seasonal flu, 1.3 and delta 4 to 5. If the seasonal flu was as contagious as delta, infecting higher numbers in general population which of course include s the very unhealthy . Then all these numbers and statistics would be about the same.https://www.qps.com/2020/10/05/covid-19-versus-the-seasonal-flu-facts-and-figures/

There about 4 million dead who would argue that even early variants of Covid are not the same as the flu.

2 hours ago, anchadian said:

According to the Royal Gazette, around 35,000 inmates are being pardoned on the occasion of the birthday of His Majesty the King http://ratchakitcha.soc.go.th/DATA/PDF/2564/A/050/T_0001.PDF… #Thailand

https://twitter.com/ThaiPrisonLife/status/1419979379241734145

That’s 35,000 potential infections going back home, to everywhere in Thailand.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Danderman123 said:

That’s 35,000 potential infections going back home, to everywhere in Thailand.

Ah spreading the love that Prayut and company is returning to the people with the help of the main man.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, placeholder said:

If it was only the WHO that was saying this, your point would still be bad. But it's irrelevant.

https://www.voanews.com/covid-19-pandemic/sinovac-vaccine-falls-short-expectations-options-limited

Go and get your CoronaVac then. Nothing stopping you. Is there any reason you will not get jabbed with this Chinese juice? "better than nothing" as you keep saying which is the only three words in the article that supports this view.

"Better than nothing." 

That's one infectious disease expert's assessment of Sinovac Biotech's COVID-19 vaccine, following reports that hundreds of Indonesian health care workers who had received the vaccine caught the disease anyway. 

As for the WHO they are not independant and the CCP holds quite a lot of sway there. Why you would think this is irrelevant in the whole pandemic situation I don't know. Maybe you can enlighten us. 

By the way this article is late June. Think you will find health worker deaths and serious illness due to the Delta variant in Indonesia has increased quite a bit this month. This pandemic/Delta variant moves fast and one month old articles may no longer be entirely relevant.

Edited by dinsdale

31 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

There about 4 million dead who would argue that even early variants of Covid are not the same as the flu.

Ok  I guess not now. But covid should in time downgrade to a common circulating flu like the other Coronaviruses.

3 minutes ago, morrobay said:

Ok  I guess not now. But covid should in time downgrade to a common circulating flu like the other Coronaviruses.

Maybe if just about everyone were vaccinated with effective vaccines, but it looks like the path from here and now to your wished for outcome is going to be littered with dead bodies.

To make it worse, here’s a new Chinese study saying Sinovac fades in 6 months.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rhacsyn said:

For residents in Phuket, there is, as usual, no info regarding the location of the majority of cases. However, for the first time that I know, there is a report stating that 13 cases have been detected in a small labour camp of about 200 people in Patong. The sad bubble and seal will kick into place and the camp will be closed for a month.

https://th-th.facebook.com/PhuketTimeNews/

Yes just read that, the index case was a woman from Mynamar who had received both doses of vaccine, she had a fever and went to the hospital, this lead the authorities to start testing in the workers camp. Another 12 found so far, however since this is now a bubble and seal I wonder if they'll even bother testing the rest?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, morrobay said:

Ah now your just being a pragmatic individual.  Anything has the potential over time to not be as bad as it initially was.  Look at Smallpox, Polio, and a few others where after vaccines were introduced it waned.  That is after all the real hope here with Covid that it just decides to go on its merry way and not keep the world guessing.

1 hour ago, anchadian said:

I was going to post the photos but then I thought not.  Photos in the link.

This suggests an appalling lack of communication/education. It’s Covid, it’s not Ebola. This so reminds me of the early ‘80s fears around people with HIV. Panic out of all proportion to risk. The other issue that jumps out is people working til they die. This too is appalling.

Quote Tweet

We do not know. What we do know is people are afraid to offer immediate assistance if someone collapsed on the streets due 2 fears of #COVID19 infections. So my advice is, try not to collapse in public areas. #Thailand #whatishappeninginthailand #โควิด19 #โควิดวันนี้ #ม็อบแท็กซี่

https://twitter.com/richardjcoker/status/1419990201145839617

We don’t know if the people shown in those photos are Covid victims, or suffered some other affliction. One person looks like they are a gunshot victim.

with 600,000+ dead in America, I don’t remember seeing photos of people dropping dead in the streets.

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Numbers keep on climbing and that's worrying to me. Sandbox aside the residents must be concerned as well. If the islands cases go up like the trajectory of Bangkok what does that say for the all-in vaccination plan they underwent.

You are right, residents are very concerned, stricter measures should be brought in immediately but I suspect because of the sandbox tourists they are holding back on this, however its the wrong move as we all know. Why can't they see this and risk leading us down a full outbreak, its very frustrating and very dangerous!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, edwinchester said:

Seems my post got deleted for not having a link so let's try again.

I live in Kanchanaburi where the official figure is 102. A locally produced chart from local authorities own figures,637, is below. A huge discrepancy.

I for one do not trust the daily Govt figures.

https://www.facebook.com/276275726406361/posts/731596564207606/?app=fbl

FB_IMG_16273942593093881.jpg

Its probably the same as Phuket, they publish the new cases late afternoon and they go on the next days figures, lets check tomorrow to see if they go on?

52 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Of course you have every right to choose what vaccine you wish to have, I haven't said otherwise I'm just asking a question.Recently an article said 600 medical staff tested positive I'll ask how many died?How many of those dying recently have been vaccinated with sinovac?Until we see this type of data we don't know one way or the other how well sinovac stops deaths and serious illness.Experts here in Thailand says that sinovac works well at preventing serious illness and death, are we not supposed to listen and trust the experts?If not who?Is it only some experts we should listen to?If so which experts should we listen to?Who decides which experts we should listen to and trust?

The point of my original question was about risk assessment something most of us do each day and what risks we are able to accept and are we willing to say we will accept a certain level of risk.The poster I asked this elected not to say that he was prepared take a risk of endangering peoples lives by not accepting the sinovac jab.He could have said as much but choose not to, fair enough, because it's a touchy subject though I'm not sure why it is a touchy subject, maybe because people are apprehensive about how they will be judged as there seems to be a lot of judgemental things being said in the last 18 months.Soon people will be told how much risk they will be asked or told they have to accept by those governing people.

I have underlined an important issue in your post. Remember there will always be experts with vested interests in the research and or the product. Fauchi said he had nothing to do with financing gain of function research in the Wuhan lab but this has been proven to be a lie. Monsanto scientists. Oil company scientists. Tabocco scientists. Climate change denier scientists. They are all going to come up with something to support the vested interest but it's the rigour of peer review where they come unstuck. No peer review then no science and its just waffle. A WHO team led by someone directly involved with the Wuhan lab. Conflict of interest for which he has been recused from the investigating committee. Believe the results and the rigour of the investigation. Well I for one don't. Do I believe the Sinovac product is below par? Well I'm not sure we need scientific evidence as what is happening on the ground and the cries from health care workers seems evidence enough. The evidence is real world evidence. People double vaccinated with CoranaVac becoming seriously ill with or dying from the disease Covid-19. Of course who and what a person believes is up to them.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Yes just read that, the index case was a woman from Mynamar who had received both doses of vaccine, she had a fever and went to the hospital, this lead the authorities to start testing in the workers camp. Another 12 found so far, however since this is now a bubble and seal I wonder if they'll even bother testing the rest?

With reportedly now less than 200 in the camp surely they will????

1 minute ago, Rhacsyn said:

With reportedly now less than 200 in the camp surely they will????

Who knows, if its anything like the bubble and seals in Bangkok then they don't bother, they only test those who are displaying obvious symptoms and need medical care, the rest are left with no test. Locked in for a month and herd immunity is obtained, thats the standard protocol for bubble and seal, lets see if this one remains the same. I do note that they tested 27 workers and are still waiting for some results so they may come in tomorrow.