Thailand reports 14,150 new COVID-19 cases, 118 more deaths

webfact

COVID27.jpg
File photo: REUTERS/Soe Zeya Tun

Thailand on Tuesday (July 27) reported 14,150 new COVID-19 cases and 118 additional deaths over the past 24 hours. 

● 13,905 new infections

● 245 prison / prison infections

Tuesday’s cases bring the total number of COVID-19 infections in Thailand to 526,828 with 4,264 deaths. 

(Total infections since April 1: 497,965)

The news comes as Thailand’s Department of Disease Control (DDC) expects COVID-19 infections in Bangkok to decline in late August and early September. 

DDC Epidemiology Division Director Dr. Chakkarat Pittayawong-anont said infections in Bangkok are likely to level off, with signs of improvement in four to six weeks. The COVID-19 situation in Bangkok is different from those in surrounding provinces because, despite a rise in cases, the inoculation rate in the capital is relatively high, at 50%. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright ASEAN NOW 2021-07-27

- Whatever you're going through, the Samaritans are here for you

214686931_373662417585422_2308798763909432187_n.jpg

222712074_366598138312215_6406323525853433595_n.jpg

24 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Thailand on Tuesday reported 14,150 new COVID cases along with 118 deaths for the past day, a decline after two consecutive days of record-setting 15,000+ daily case totals. During the past week, Thailand now has had five daily increases and two daily declines in reported cases.

Tuesday’s 14,150 new cases marked a respite from the record 15,376 cases reported on Monday, even though daily cases in Thailand have rocketed upward from the 11,000 range just a week ago. Tuesday’s 118 deaths total marked a jump up from the 87 deaths recorded on Monday.

Tuesday’s new case count included 13,905 among the general public and 245 from Thailand’s prisons. Thailand has now totaled 526,828 COVID cases and 4,264 COVID deaths since the start of the pandemic in January 2020, though most of those have occurred just since this April.

Now in the worst of a so-called third wave that began in April, Thailand’s COVID outbreak has spread lately from its original center in Bangkok and several adjoining provinces to the entire nation. All or almost all of Thailand’s 77 provinces lately have been reporting new COVID cases on a daily basis.

Health experts said the rising COVID case and death tolls in Thailand have been driven by the highly contagious Delta (India) variant of the coronavirus that’s now become dominant in the country. Its toll has been worsened by Thailand’s lagging COVID vaccination program that has only fully vaccinated about 5 percent of the population after months of effort, partly due to limited supplies of government procured vaccines.

The country’s health care system has been hit to the breaking point by the broadening pandemic. Thailand on Tuesday again reported a new record high for active COVID cases hospitalized (171,921), but surprising small declines in the numbers of critical patients (4,284) and the share of those on ventilators (954).

Still, total COVID hospitalizations have almost doubled in the past two weeks, and the share of those in critical condition has doubled in the past month. Prior to Tuesday’s modest decline, Thailand's tally of critical condition COVID patients had risen to new daily records for the past 37 days in a row.

In other developments:

--37 of Thailand’s 77 provinces on Monday reported more than 100 new COVID cases for the day, led by Bangkok with 2,573 and Samut Sakhon with 1,074, the only two provinces to exceed 1,000 new cases. Chiang Mai came close to making the 100+ cases list with a one-short tally of 100.

--While case counts have been rising in outlying provinces, Bangkok province’s 2,573 new case count Monday marked the third consecutive day of declines and remained below the province daily high of 3,191 cases on July 10. The province thus far has reported a cumulative total of 2,136 COVID deaths for a 1.59 percent case fatality rate.

--COVID vaccination online registration opportunities continue to be available to foreign nationals age 60 and above who live in Bangkok and five adjoining provinces at the Central Vaccination Center, Bang Sue Grand Station in Bangkok. Those age 75 and above are eligible for limited walk-in vaccinations daily, though walk-ins are due to end at the end of the month. For details, see https://www.thailandintervac.com/

--To the north in Chiang Mai, meanwhile, authorities advised foreign nationals age 70 and above who have registered there for a vaccination to look for receiving notice of their appointment date soon. However, the advisory also said they’ll be receiving the same new vaccine regimen as Thai locals, a first Sinovac shot followed by an AstraZeneca shot three weeks later.

The advisory said: “You are strongly advised to accept this offer as with the worsening pandemic in Thailand, any vaccination is better than no vaccination and will dramatically decrease your chances of serious illness. If you turn down the offer, there is no telling when the next chance will be… You would be ill advised to go unprotected during this time if you are a vulnerable ageing person.”

And where is this latest registration for over 70's in Chiangmai?

Tried 3 times online and in person at supermarket registration, heard nothing!

6 minutes ago, Thailand said:

The advisory I linked to in that info above was telling people who had already successfully registered online to expect to receive some notification within days of when their actual vaccination appointment is supposed to be.

If you click the weblink in that item I posted, it takes you to a FB page with the following advisory:

"Please could all people over 70 years of age who have registered with the Chiang Mai health authorities for COVID-19 vaccination, please pay close attention to their SMS messaging and emails in the next few days, as the Chiang Mai Public Health office will be sending out information about a date and location for vaccination to take place this week."

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Caldera said:

The mortality rate in prisons seems suspiciously low, surely prisoners aren't healthier than the population at large and their access to healthcare is worse.

I guess the average age of those in prison is relatively low so not high risk, compared to the 82 year olds in the general population.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Caldera said:

The mortality rate in prisons seems suspiciously low, surely prisoners aren't healthier than the population at large and their access to healthcare is worse.

On the other hand, the prison population is a lot younger.

EDIT: didn't see henryford's post until after I posted this.

Edited by placeholder
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Caldera said:

Maybe the prison population is relatively young so although they are getting infected, the effects are less and death less likely.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The advisory I linked to in that info above was telling people who had already successfully registered online to expect to receive some notification within days of when their actual vaccination appointment is supposed to be.

If you click the weblink in that item I posted, it takes you to a FB page with the following advisory:

"Please could all people over 70 years of age who have registered with the Chiang Mai health authorities for COVID-19 vaccination, please pay close attention to their SMS messaging and emails in the next few days, as the Chiang Mai Public Health office will be sending out information about a date and location for vaccination to take place this week."

The email and SMS you will recieve if successful.

Screenshot (364).png

vaccination.jpg

51 minutes ago, clivebaxter said:

what is the point of listing prison infections separately? 

It is a journalistic artefact from a month or so ago when prison infections were not reported, but suddenly became alarmingly high because they started testing ???? 

The promised arrival in the coming days of the 1.5 million Pfizer vaccine doses donated by the United States may be creating some interesting vaccine dynamics for expats here.

Ten percent of those doses, or 150,000, are supposed to be set aside for foreign nationals, with a priority on those age 60 and above and those with the list of chronic medical conditions. But the Thai government thus far hasn't specifically spelled out just how/where foreign nationals will be able to register for and receive those doses.

So, at the moment, it seems to go something like this:

--the early bird folks in Bangkok and surrounding provinces who managed to get the few available appointments had the opportunity to register for two AZ doses, with the second dose schedule for September.

--the older expat folks in Chiang Mai currently are being told that their vaccine regimen, if they accept it, is going to be first dose of Sinovac followed by a second dose of AZ.

--And so now, is it possible that those  who waited and held off registering and receiving vaccines before now/soon will be able to register for and receive the two dose regimen of the Pfizer mRNA vaccine. Or is the rollout of the Pfizer doses likely to be a crazed stampede???

Is it possible in this case, people who waited MIGHT end up being better off... given that testing results thus far seem to show that the Pfizer vaccine has a somewhat higher effectiveness rate than the AZ vaccine, and a lot higher than the Sinovac vaccine?

FWIW, I see little likelihood that the Thai government is going to allow expats who've already received their first AZ dose and have an appointment for a second to shift that second dose to a Pfizer dose -- although that's just speculation on my part at this point.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

The email and SMS you will recieve if successful

Yes you register your details. Step 2 confirmation email with appointment date and time day or so later.

Finally confirmation SMS sent night before appointment. You need screenshot to show at SCG. 

I'm going today 4pm and will send short report later of what to expect. 

• Thanks 1

The stupidity of it all.  When will they ever learn?

Banglamung police raided an illegal beach club on Pattaya beach last night, allegedly finding both foreign nationals and Thais mingling, drinking, partying, and socializing despite strict Covid-19 rules currently in place 

https://aseannow.com/topic/1225453-banglamung-police-raid-illegal-beach-club-in-the-pattaya-area-arrest-over-66-people-allegedly-breaking-covid-19-emergency-decree/

Edited by anchadian
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, DrJack54 said:

Yes you register your details. Step 2 confirmation email with appointment date and time day or so later.

Finally confirmation SMS sent night before appointment. You need screenshot to show at SCG. 

I'm going today 4pm and will send short report later of what to expect. 

The person who asked about that is up in Chiang Mai... He's not part of the BKK vaccination regimen.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:
  32 minutes ago, Thailand said:

The registration in Chiang Mai is the Wall of Chiang Mai;  https://wallofcm.chiangmaihealth.go.th/.  You can register as a foreigner at an attached link; https://www.cm-healthcare.net/CMCVR/ and the results of daily vaccinations in Chiang Mai can be found at the dashboard; 

https://wallofcm.chiangmaihealth.go.th/dashboard/?fbclid=IwAR18z_QvjLjSHeqOrBnU8Msk5Z5qSgAmOkGzKUw4OzonGl3g67dLxQpg2BY.

After you register you can receive a 13 digit ID number.  I have mine and am waiting for either a text message or an email giving me an appointment to get vaccinated.

The news this morning is that they strongly advise that you get a first shot of Sinovac then later receive the AstraZeneca vaccine.  I personally am not too happy about this but I see no other choice other then returning to the US and getting the mRNA vaccines.  As I do not want to leave my wife during this tenuous time I plan to stick it out and get what I can.  Hopefully someday I can go to the private hospital and get the mRNA vaccine.  We stay at home now and even get our groceries delivered.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Henryford said:

I guess the average age of those in prison is relatively low so not high risk, compared to the 82 year olds in the general population.

39 year old woman with no comorbidities died in Sydney yesterday from Covid. A few days ago a 14 year old died here. The youngest in yesterday's deaths was 28. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1