Anyone else tired of the nonsense, and contemplating leaving Thailand?

If you are so worried in what direction the goverment is going that it worries you. You might be better moving back. The Thai goverment have been struggeling for atleast 60 years and this will continue for the upcoming 60 years. You either accept this and enjoy the positives of living in Thailand. If you cannot accept this, and goverment related stuff is important for you, than move back. 

You're wife will most certainly be thrilled to move. 

• Like 1

On 8/4/2021 at 1:14 PM, spidermike007 said:

I think there are alot of reasons. One is self esteem. He simply does not deserve a pretty, slim woman? Another may be his financial stability. But, I do run into guys here who are in very good financial shape here, with older, fat, ugly women. Maybe some guys are just really "deep", and do not need the inspiration some of us get from beauty.

Or, maybe some are so pre-conditioned by the uber feminist culture of the emasculated nation they left, that it is just a sort of "muscle memory" that takes over. 

Or it might be that they find other qualities far more important than towing around air head eye candy attracting every Tom, Harry & Dick

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 8/3/2021 at 3:47 PM, tonray said:

Lived there prior to coming to Thailand.  Enjoy it very much and it's a great change of pace from Thailand. My twice yearly visits kept me sane. Need to start that again 

I lived a couple of years in KL. My conclusion : it tries to be a combination of Singapore and Bangkok - but it's neither. Boring like hell. I did not like it at all. I far prefer Thailand (in spite of all the mess many of us including myself are bitching about), it's got another dimension compared to Malaysia imo.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

46 minutes ago, gejohesch said:

I lived a couple of years in KL. My conclusion : it tries to be a combination of Singapore and Bangkok - but it's neither. Boring like hell. I did not like it at all. I far prefer Thailand (in spite of all the mess many of us including myself are bitching about), it's got another dimension compared to Malaysia imo.

Yes KL is boring. 2 days was enough for me.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 8/2/2021 at 11:00 AM, spidermike007 said:

And it has gone way, way downhill in the past two years. They used Covid, to engage in massive sabotage of the tourism industry, and small business. 

So why exactly  do they want to sabotage the 20% of GDP tourism industry?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Well, there is a difference between pretty and what you mention. There is a difference between attractive, and fat and ugly too. It is a personal thing. I never fault a man for having an ugly woman. I always just presume he is alot "deeper" than I am. 

low maintenance

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Well, there is a difference between pretty and what you mention. There is a difference between attractive, and fat and ugly too. It is a personal thing. I never fault a man for having an ugly woman. I always just presume he is alot "deeper" than I am. 

I dunno , people always going on about how wonderful and attractive their partner is its often quite different to the reality , just going from experience

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

There are few aspects of life that have improved

that phrase above could stand alone .

i might be an incarnation of my grandfather..... who would look at me and wonder "vat's da woild coming to"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, morrobay said:

So why exactly  do they want to sabotage the 20% of GDP tourism industry?

'they"   are all billionaires !        the real question to the hoi poloi (common people) is...... does anyone

really believe that anyone running any country is interested at all in them ?

( one can always google "who controls the world"  and spend some interesting hours reading)

still amazes me that so many people will say yes.   or make excuses.    and that, my friends,  is why

things just keep going the way they do.   Of course, people on this forum are not in the top 2 % , but

for most the fact that they don't have to pick leaves to eat with rice and can afford air con is enough

to keep their complaints rather tame,  and of the keyboard variety. 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Tanomazu said:

I think the extra dimension in Thailand are the Thai people, who are just more charming and friendly than those in KL.

100% agree .... even if I find them a bit weird and OTT at times 555!

Also, I find it difficult to find any exciting culture in KL. I was invited once to a Malay marriage some 100 kms north of KL. I regretted going. Way too much of the religion in the face. Not to say there is not much religion in Thailand, but at least it's pleasant and at times real fun - very different!

Edited by gejohesch
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, gejohesch said:

100% agree .... even if I find them a bit weird and OTT at times 555!

Also, I find it difficult to find any exciting culture in KL. I was invited once to a Malay marriage some 100 kms north of KL. I regretted going. Way too much of the religion in the face. Not to say there is not much religion in Thailand, but at least it's pleasant and at times real fun - very different!

When it really comes down to it, the Thais are far more light hearted than most. Not sure how much of this has to do with Buddhism, as I do not find the humor, and fun loving attitude in Cambodia, China, Taiwan, Japan, and other places where Buddhism is practiced. The Thais are unique in their ability to live the unbearable lightness of being, and find fun and enjoyment in the smallest of things. That is a pleasure to be around. Of course, the lightness has been muted by the current circumstances, but it is there below the surface. 

I may be criticized for saying so, but it appears to me that Malaysia (though one of the most secular of all the Muslim nations), is weighed down by many aspects of contemporary Muslim culture which seem to dissuade fun, dance, music. sex and joy. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, 473geo said:

As I sit on the porch enjoying my coffee and toast in the morning sun

I don't know why you picked my post to quote to tell us how happy you are.   But i am happy that you are happy.  I am happy too.   Enjoy your mayonaise

On 7/31/2021 at 5:01 AM, spidermike007 said:

I would say we really love our life here. Some of it might be Covid fatigue. But, alot of it is army fatigue. And what feels like a diminishing quality of life. I am just very, very tired of the goon leaders here, the continued xenophobia from them, and their constant nonsense and lack of leadership. 

My 2 baht worth. I have to say that no matter where you live, you will be saddled with "Goon" leadership. There is no escaping it. In fact one huge key of my happiness in life is absolutely ignoring all politics. I never watch the news anymore and I am far better for it. My quality of life is WAY better then it would be living in the states. Its an absolute <deleted> show right now and continues to be.

I'd personally take a break from it all. I think you will find it isn't as bad as you may think it is.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JAFO said:

My 2 baht worth. I have to say that no matter where you live, you will be saddled with "Goon" leadership. There is no escaping it. In fact one huge key of my happiness in life is absolutely ignoring all politics. I never watch the news anymore and I am far better for it. My quality of life is WAY better then it would be living in the states. Its an absolute <deleted> show right now and continues to be.

I'd personally take a break from it all. I think you will find it isn't as bad as you may think it is.

well said.      i do sometimes write a post saying IMO  how the world is totally screwed up.  I also sometimes get philosophical and suggest how we should all really take a look at ourselves once in a while,   and work on what we can accomplish individually.   I also sometimes have posted a photo or two of my Mango farm and beautiful country living , though lately I feel it not really necessary to  say how great life is.    

SpiderM  i believe appreciates the good things he has.   As I and others here do.    But I also can relate to his anxiety and feelings about how life seems to be changing .   Those here who attempt to dismiss any kind of feelings about anything in the world except what affects them personally (I am not referring to you, Jafo)...well, why bother to post on a forum ?  Just copy and paste : my life is great,  i don't care about anything else.    No need for photos of houses or cars or descriptions of your breakfast.  Facebook is good for that.    

Edited by rumak
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, JAFO said:

Certainly good advise. I have cut way back on the news. I agree things are pretty awful in the US. The quality of life continues to decline for all but the very rich. The rest contend with staggering inflation and skyrocketing prices. 

Fortunately, I am married. For my single friends back there, few are finding suitable partners for romance or relationships. Most American women have really lost the plot, and are both hugely unappealing, and lacking much in the way of femininity as a result. 

My life is good here. Just need to learn how to keep my head in the sand more! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 473geo said:

As I sit on the porch enjoying my coffee and toast in the morning sun contemplating what the day will bring, awaiting the family matriarchs out to pick the greens for their daily dishes, me building up to an hour or so of cut and carry for the cattle. Mother in law just arrived with some fresh new cucumbers, will go nicely with the mayonnaise I bought yesterday in anticipation. I wonder at this moment why I would be striving to create change? I wonder if I was a billionaire what could possibly entice me to get involved in the hassle of running a country rather than enjoying life, I wonder if the billionaire lifestyle becomes boring and some alternative stimulation is required. 

I consider myself fortunate to be enjoying Thailand as it is now, I do not wish to create political upheaval or change, on my keyboard or otherwise, we see where such antics have landed Mike. Have a good day guys.

Good post, thanks! A Swede I used to meet when in Bangkok told me once "When you have loved Thailand and then started to hate it, then you're ready to love it even more". I think that's very true. Although the logical implication is that the next step in "evolving with Thailand" is that you will fall back into a  hating it even more - maybe?

So many times, being there at times like what you describe in your message dissolved my doubts again : "yes, sure, I love this country".

• Like 1

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

When it really comes down to it, the Thais are far more light hearted than most. Not sure how much of this has to do with Buddhism, as I do not find the humor, and fun loving attitude in Cambodia, China, Taiwan, Japan, and other places where Buddhism is practiced. The Thais are unique in their ability to live the unbearable lightness of being, and find fun and enjoyment in the smallest of things. That is a pleasure to be around. Of course, the lightness has been muted by the current circumstances, but it is there below the surface. 

I may be criticized for saying so, but it appears to me that Malaysia (though one of the most secular of all the Muslim nations), is weighed down by many aspects of contemporary Muslim culture which seem to dissuade fun, dance, music. sex and joy. 

Very well said! Very true about the Thais.

About Malaysia, I did not find the Muslim culture there that secular. It's too much "in the face" to my liking. I think there is an obsession with religion there, even a form of fanaticism (legally, you can only be Malay if you are a muslim). An obsession which has obliterated a large part of their original culture, it seems to me. At the Malay wedding I was invited (my earlier message), there were musicians, that was the only truly cheerful moment : nobody danced, nobody even started swinging with the music. What a huge difference with Thais!

A corollary to this message : when we talk about experiencing a country, we should be a bit precise. Some say they love Malaysia, but what do they know of that country? Is it maybe only foreigners' places such as Penang or the (very few) western-oriented venues in KL??? Some talk about Thailand but maybe have never experienced life in a Thai village???

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Tanomazu said:

That's probably another reason that makes Thailand so charming, everything is OTT. The bad driving, the air pollution, the politeness, prostitution, the spicing of the food, the silliness, the patriotism. When they do something they really do it, lol.

It's weird about KL, I saw nothing attractive about the culture either. Yes the infrastructure was spectacular in parts, but it is like it lost its soul if it ever had one. I spoke to a few Malaysians, taxi drivers and such, and they all seem to be unhappy with the place.

It's become a bit of a high quality sex tourism hotspot for Japanese and Arabs, but unlike Thailand it pretends otherwise. It's just hard to like the place, even if they have good food and spectacular architecture.

What you say about KL is exactly how I experienced it. "Lost its soul if ever it had one" : comes back to what I said about the obsessive (and tense) religion having (I think) wiped out the original culture.

• Confused 1

35 minutes ago, gejohesch said:

What you say about KL is exactly how I experienced it. "Lost its soul if ever it had one" : comes back to what I said about the obsessive (and tense) religion having (I think) wiped out the original culture.

You know, I don't think Malaysia ever had an original culture. You will probably remember the riots in Indonesia when Malaysia tried to pass off Indonesian culture as Malaysian culture for tourist adverts.

"The protesters on Thursday said Malaysia was promoting a Javanese mask dance, known as Reog Ponorogo, as its traditional art in its tourism campaign."

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-indonesia-malaysia-idUSJAK27361120071129

Malaysia does the same with passing off Rendang as a Malaysian dish when it originated in Sumatra, Indonesia. Malaysia basically is an offshoot of Indonesia, and only separated by historical accident, ie British invasion.

I don't think Islam wiped out the indigenous culture in Malaysia, they just never had one. If you look at Indonesia, Islam has not wiped out indigenous Indonesian culture. Indonesia has plenty of soul. It's just KL and Malaysia that feels empty.

Edited by Tanomazu
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Tanomazu said:

You know, I don't think Malaysia ever had an original culture. You will probably remember the riots in Indonesia when Malaysia tried to pass off Indonesian culture as Malaysian culture for tourist adverts.

"The protesters on Thursday said Malaysia was promoting a Javanese mask dance, known as Reog Ponorogo, as its traditional art in its tourism campaign."

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-indonesia-malaysia-idUSJAK27361120071129

Malaysia does the same with passing off Rendang as a Malaysian dish when it originated in Sumatra, Indonesia. Malaysia basically is an offshoot of Indonesia, and only separated by historical accident, ie British invasion.

I don't think Islam wiped out the indigenous culture in Malaysia, they just never had one. If you look at Indonesia, Islam has not wiped out indigenous Indonesian culture. Indonesia has plenty of soul. It's just KL and Malaysia that feels empty.

About Indonesia (I worked there, been several times back), very true, a huge culture. So maybe you're right about the Malay culture (let's be precise : Malay, not Malaysian), it's not so much the religion but the relative absence of an original culture.