Tourism Minister, national police chief call for greater tourist safety

webfact

1628250506_1-org.jpg

Tourism and Sports Minister Phiphat Ratchakitprakarn (right) alongside Phuket Governor Narong Woonciew at the meeting this afternoon (Aug 6). Photo: PR Phuket

By The Phuket News

PHUKET: Tourism and Sports Minister Phiphat Ratchakitprakarn along with national police chief Pol Gen Suwat Jangyodsuk today in Phuket called for greater measures to increase safety.

The call for increased safety measures follows the death of 57-year-old Swiss tourist Nicole Sauvain-Weisskopf, whose body was found near the Ao Yon Waterfall on Phuket’s east coast yesterday.

“I would like to say I am deeply saddened for the loss, her family, and the people of Switzerland,” Mr Phiphat said, speaking at the Sandbox Emergency Operation Center (EOC) in Phuket Town this afternoon (Aug 6), also attended by Phuket Governor Narong Woonciew.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/tourism-minister-national-police-chief-call-for-greater-tourist-safety-80957.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2021-08-07

Catch the actual perpetrator and then lets see if the words are hollow. 

How difficult can this be? Island on lockdown, relatively close to hotel, supposedly trackable,most Myanmar workers probably locked in compounds.

RIP to the lady who mistook the sandbox to mean safety.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, webfact said:

“I would like to say I am deeply saddened for the loss, her family, and the people of Switzerland,” Mr Phiphat said

How about a promise to bring the killer to Justice and compensation for her family. Just saying sorry is just not good enough.

• Like 1

... sure, I believe it.

Or it could be a bit of lip service for actual reasons, soon to be forgotten ...

If anything you'll be getting a (mostly useless) tracking wristband, their favourite pet as far as moronic ideas go ... just wait 4 it.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, pokerface1 said:

How about a promise to bring the killer to Justice and compensation for her family. Just saying sorry is just not good enough.

Is that a common practice anywhere in the world...the state compensating crime victims ???? The state wasn't responsible for the crime so I think this is a pretty far out suggestion. In many places, a civil action for monetary damages can be brought by the family...not sure if this is the case in Thailand. 

• Like 1

Thailand has very high rape and murder rates and most rape survivors don't even bother to report the crime as they know what to expect from Thai police.  So how are they going to improve the odds for foreigners, unless they improve the situation for everyone?  Just BS for PR purposes.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, pokerface1 said:

Specially after all the hype about " we care for your Safety " " Hotels branded as safe " Etc Etc Etc prior to the Sandbox

Sorry is an empty word when there is no sincerity in it.

Maybe people who could be potential Tourists would not only consider Safety as a issue now in the Sandbox, but would also consider trust as an equally important factor prior to booking or not.