Food

splodger

14 minutes ago, splodger said:

Hello,i can not find bread or spuds at Tesco,is there a problm?

Stay Safe

Just returned from Makro, Big C and Tesco, all good, apart from Makro being short on a couple of items.

Time to stock up though.

I was in a Tesco Saturday, but not a main branch. Quite a few empty shelves in there, and some obvious spreading out of other items to make it look better. One obvious shortage was pet food..... the toilet rolls were one of the spread out items and a brand I have never seen before. Chicken meat was available, but it was being well pored over. I went on to Big-CX which seemed fine. Even got followed around by a working lady......

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Talked with the local 7-11 and found that they are having ordering problems as suppliers stocks are low.  One has to wonder if it's important issues or it's incountry Factory/Plant related and due to covid cases. If so this will take awhile to reconcile itself 

22 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Talked with the local 7-11 and found that they are having ordering problems as suppliers stocks are low.  One has to wonder if it's important issues or it's incountry Factory/Plant related and due to covid cases. If so this will take awhile to reconcile itself 

With so many 7-11s closed, you would think the remaining ones would be overflowing with stuff...

20 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

With so many 7-11s closed, you would think the remaining ones would be overflowing with stuff...

Am guessing lots of the suppliers are in and out of temp closures (I know our suppliers are) for covid cleaning (I think it is 17 reported cases in ya business and the govement close ya).

Hard to supply when you cannot produce.

A lot of our suppliers are now in bubble and seal so as to keep their production lines running.

Edited by Ralf001

I was at the small Tops in the Chill mall (Darkside) and they were almost out of my favourite (Bauer) yoghurt ! Only had 2 left !!

I grabbed both in a panic before some scouser could get his mitts on them.

Meanwhile, everything else I wanted (meat, vegetables, fruit, dry goods) seemed in normal supply. Grabbed some cherries and strawberries that were discounted (I suspect near the end of their "shelf life" but I dice them and stick them in the freezer then use them in smoothies so they won't have a chance to go bad anyways).

The big suppliers all (or most of them) moved to what is called a "just in time" warehousing concept years ago. 
The idea is to get rid of the huge storage areas they used to have and turn some of that space into more retail area. The "just in time" system is supposed to get the store what they need "just in time" before they run out of (whatever). 
That way, the shipments come in and basically go straight out onto the shelves. No massive warehouse space needed to store 6 months worth of toilet paper for example when they can get a pallet of it delivered every week instead.

But the system is fragile. It depends on the store submitting their orders in a timely fashion, the main office collating the orders and getting them to the supplier/manufacture in time, the supplier/manufacturer having enough stock to meet the demand and the transportation being able to deliver on time.

A delay anywhere in that chain can cause "empty shelves" at your local supermarket. Usually it only takes a week or two and the shelves are filled again.
(They were busy little beavers yesterday stocking the shelves while I was there.)

We had to lol back in the mid-90s when the Liberals in Canada decided to cut the military by 25%. One thing the "all knowing, all seeing" leadership decided to do was totally eliminate the Transport trade. All the truckers that hauled all the military stuff around the country.

Some brain-dead moron decided that it would be easier and cheaper to use civilian transport companies instead and the "just in time" delivery concept to keep all the bases and units supplied !!

So they let the entire trade take the "early retirement" option with it's generous payout and benefits.

And then a couple weeks later someone asked how the military was going to function overseas and in war zones when those "civilian" truckers refused to deploy with the troops. (Or even in a crisis in Canada, because they couldn't force the civilians to do their jobs the way they could with the troops.)

The dimwits suddenly realized they'd screwed up and put out the word that anyone in the Transport trade that wanted back in could get do so immediately - and keep all the benefits they'd just been given !

The guys were literally rolling on the floor laughing when they came back to get all new uniforms and kit issued just a couple weeks after having to turn in their old stuff.

Spicy BBQ ribs. Marinated in smoky BBQ sauce and red chili powder then cooked in the (pre-heated) broiler for 20 minutes.

Done right, it only takes a couple to get the nose running.

(I buy the large, bulk ribs at Makro and cut them up myself. I cook up a tray full, set aside enough for supper and a meal the next day, then put the rest in tupperware containers - each with enough for a meal - and freeze them.)

921082545_bbqribs.thumb.jpg.447b92b2f6e86371bf2535e91a4d2185.jpg

• Like 2