Will a plastic bag suffice as a shield between a car battery post and its negative lead

Heng

Disconnecting negative lead to prevent battery drain for medium term storage.   Decided against using a battery tender as I didn't feel comfortable leaving something plugged in with the occasional brownouts and blackouts we have.   

Separating them so that they don't arc as per the Youtube recommendations.   The separation is just a few centimetres though due to the lack of cable slack in that area.   Wrapped two 7-11 store plastic bags and rubber banded them around the negative lead.   Pretty sure there is no bag breakage and as mentioned, it's like wearing two condoms.

I'll have a house keeper wiping the interior down every couple of weeks though to keep mold from growing on the leather interior.    My OCD/paranoid section of my brain is concerned about arcing caused from slight movements to the car(s)/ car doors slamming, etc.   

Maybe a PVC  end cap (as used in plumbing) over the battery post would be better?   Will battery acid eat at that?

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Anythingleft? said:

You could just use a piece of cardboard and it wont deteriorate in the heat like the plastic bag might....

Thanks.  Kind of concerned that that is fairly combustible though.   

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Anythingleft? said:

Hopefully the acid is on the inside...???? if you're concerned about acid then tip a kettle of boiling water over the terminals then wipe vaseline or grease on them.

Um, thanks again, will pass on the boiling water thing.    Checked for grease though and they seem well greased.

Edited by Heng
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, transam said:

Slide a bit of plastic pipe over the positive pole, then tape it.......????

Just took care of it.  Went with PVC plug somewhat snug in place (1/2").  

Edited by Heng
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Why not just disconnect the battery and store it out of the way.

regards Worgeordie

Agree that would be safer.   However wanted to be more plug and play/ready to go when I get back.   Also just in case I have to get someone else to do it for me, the fewer the steps the better.  

My 1997 buick developed a short I just could not isolate.  Three weeks sitting and it would drain the battery.  I poked around and saw that there was a 2 Amp drain.  Checked all the fuses, the links, the relays, etc.. but could not isolate it.  Some light or lamp or harness short somewhere?  Every thing worked fine.  I ended up buying a kill switch.  Had to get an additional battery cable, had no trouble finding a hole in the firewall, and I installed the kill switch right below the dash.  Had that for 7 years.  Some cars do not like having the battery disconnected or drained, depends on the electronics, things have to be reset, etc.  Not to mention the on/off transients every time you turn the switch on or off.

29 minutes ago, steve187 said:

the only power under the bonnet is the battery, the 2 leads once disconnected can touch against anything, take the battery out to be sure.

Yes, if OP is worried just disconnect both leads, but always disconnect the earth lead first. It's easy to touch something conducting when using a spanner and a direct short from positive lead to an earth ( while the earth lead is connected ) can be exciting.

I don't bother taking the battery out if only for a short time, but if a long time it will likely need recharging anyway.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Heng said:

Agree that would be safer.   However wanted to be more plug and play/ready to go when I get back.   Also just in case I have to get someone else to do it for me, the fewer the steps the better.  

Likely you will need to recharge the battery anyway, depending on how long away.

Other things need doing too, like making sure petrol tank is full to brim to stop condensation.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Heng said:

Will probably go with the bags + PVC end cap (presuming it's sulphuric acid that is concerned as Google says).

Have you got an old style battery with the caps to each cell? New ones don't.

Anyway, I never heard of acid leak unless the battery is damaged.

• Like 1

Be aware that if the battery is disconnected for a long period of time the internalized battery that keeps the ecu processor active may also be discharged. Which if so may mean at first startup again it may do some strange things until the presets re-establish. Same thing can be done deliberately by connecting the battery leads together (battery completely isolated)for a while if there is a glitch in the electronic control functions.

There are online instructions to properly "re-educate" the system for most  makes and models once the battery is re-installed.

4 hours ago, Heng said:

Maybe a PVC  end cap (as used in plumbing) over the battery post would be better?   Will battery acid eat at that?

Close.!

Certainly OK, and way better than 2 plastic bags.

And certainly won't corrode or decompose.

Better still, the plastic terminal post caps (red and blue) that came with the battery new, if you still have them or can find some.

Just sit the neg over one installed on the terminal.

BTW you will loose all the presets on the radio/clock.

And don't forget to reapply vaseline (petroleum jelly) to the post before reattaching lead.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Heng said:

Why not just remove the battery and store it indoors somewhere?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, driver52 said:

is that really a problem in a place as warm as Thailand?

I think you'll be ok with a PVC pipe on the battery lead

Do you know how hot and humid Thailand can be? 

I agree on the battery terminal. In fact it's purely a matter of common sense as to how you create a barrier to transmission of electrical current, there are so many obvious ways. ????

https://th.rs-online.com/web/p/solar-chargers/7067918/

High-quality 4W solar cell for year-round 12V battery charging
Supports stand incorporated in the hard-wearing body
Suitable for indoor and outdoor use
In-built LED charge indicator
Cable and connections to attach direct to battery terminals and in car 12V socket
In-built diode prevents reverse battery feed.

User guide

Data Sheet

1391528688_FoldupSolarPanel.JPG.e4ae31112f6053117cfa6eb16845f3b3.JPG

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Heng said:

it's like wearing two condoms

Never tried it. But I heard that if you do, you should put chilli between them. So if you feel the burn - the inner one is broken. If she feels the burn - the outer one is broken. If both of you feel the burn - your kinda f*cked...

• Haha 1