After a 1st dose AZ- Would you choose a 2nd dose of AZ or a Pfizer jab?

bbabythai

In June I had the first dose of AstraZeneca and soon have the option of getting the 2nd dose. 

However, there might be the possibility of getting a Pfizer jab instead. 

I read about the study in Spain where they are mixing the brands. 

I suppose I could just take the 2nd dose of AZ and try to get a Pfizer booster in December thereabouts. 

What would you do in my situation? 

thanks

9 minutes ago, bbabythai said:

n June I had the first dose of AstraZeneca and soon have the option of getting the 2nd dose.

June---thats a long time between Jabs..... now they are only doing 3 weeks in-between.

I would take the The 2nd Jab & look to see if you can get a Phizer latter.

• Like 2

Very little difference in risk of hospitalisation/death (AZ+Pfizer is slightly better). AZ+Pfizer is significantly better at preventing infection.

You know you can tolerate AZ, you don't know you can tolerate Pfizer (though reports of significant side effects of Pfizer are next to zero).

Getting Pfizer may mean a delay in getting your 2nd dose. If such is the case, I'd just go with AZ and use the mRNA vaccines later as a booster. If you can get Pfizer instead of AZ in your normal dosing schedule, personally I'd go for it, but there's rarely any significant benefit for an ordinary person to do this (you really only do it if you need to protect those around you like if you're a doctor or live with unvaccinated people).

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

June---thats a long time between Jabs..... now they are only doing 3 weeks in-between.

The 3 weeks in between is for pfizer jabs

WHO recommends 9 to 12 weeks in between AZ jabs. I last checked this a month ago. Maybe they have changed their advice on this?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

Having just had my first AZ shot today (10th August) I do not want to mix vaccines so I wilt wait for my second which is due in 12 weeks time. Mixing vaccines does not sound like a good idea to me. 

I take it your not in Thailand Doctor Tom

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

I take it your not in Thailand Doctor Tom

as many of TV posters on here. They pretend to be living in Thailand and moan and b_tch about everything thai but are not even here.    Lol   ????    ( not dr Tom )    but it wasn't specific to Dr Tom .... it was more generalised .... thanks

Edited by steven100

16 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

BHP is Bangkok Hospital Pattaya, so yes, I am.  

I didn't see the BHP in your last 3 posts....maybe I need a trip to Spec savers....

The NHS has recommended moving all 2 jabs forward to 8 weeks.

Thailand now is giving appointments for 4 weeks (I had a jab in Issan 5 days ago.}

There seems to be a feeling that leaving it to long--more then 12 is a disadvantage.

NHS--SECOND DOSE INTERVAL PERIODWhat is the second dose interval period?On 14May 2021, the JCVI recommendedthat the second dose interval be brought forward from 12 to 8 weeks for people in priority cohorts 1-9 who have yet to receive their second dose.Operationally this means that second doses for cohorts 1-9 should take place at 56-63 days https://www.england.nhs.uk/coronavirus/wp-content/uploads/sites/52/2021/03/C1254-covid-19-vaccination-programme-faqs-on-second-dose-v2.pdf

What happens if I don’t get the second jab within 12 weeks?

It is recommended that you get a second dose within 12 weeks of having the first dose. However, if that isn’t possible for some reason, you should get a second dose as soon as you can to give you better long-term protection against the virus. Depending on how long the delay is, and which vaccine you have, we don’t necessarily have evidence to say whether the delay will affect the level of protection you have. Getting it as soon as you can is the best approach.

Sydney’s COVID outbreak has just prompted official advice on the AstraZeneca vaccine to change to encourage more people to get fully vaccinated sooner.

Now, the Australian Technical Advisory Group on Immunisation (ATAGI) recommends people in outbreak areas have their booster shot at 4-8 weeks after their initial dose rather than wait for 12 weeks. ATAGI now also advises people in outbreak areas under 60 to “re-assess the benefits to them and their contacts” from getting an AstraZeneca vaccine now if the Pfizer vaccine is not available... https://theconversation.com/astrazeneca-advice-has-just-changed-again-heres-what-you-need-to-know-if-youre-in-lockdown-163422

Edited by sanuk711
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, steven100 said:

as many of TV posters on here. They pretend to be living in Thailand and moan and b_tch about everything thai but are not even here.    Lol   ????    ( not dr Tom )    but it wasn't specific to Dr Tom .... it was more generalised .... thanks

sounds to me like you're the one doing all the bitching my friend... ha ha

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

I didn't see the BHP in your last 3 posts....maybe I need a trip to Spec savers....

Maybe. ????  I posted this afternoon that I received  my first AZ at BHP today. Its on a separate post, so not your fault, its mine for not making that clear on a different one. 

• Like 1

What people don’t understand is none of these so called ‘vaccinations’ are really vaccinating anyone . They may lessen the effects but you will still be a carrier and it’s highly likely with ‘leaky vaccinations’ that the virus will mutate and make the so called ‘vaccinations’ useless . This has been known for decades ! The measles vaccination is a true vaccination , you could be around people who have measles and be safe in the knowledge you will never get it . The same CAN NOT be said of this . 

Edited by chrisandsu

1 hour ago, sanuk711 said:

What do they recommend?

I don't mean Anutin and his clan.  Maybe do some research online.

No guarantee at all that Pfizer would be made available to people who already had 1 dose AZ. In fact very unlikely witin next 3-6 months.

In the allocation of Pfizer for foteignets they are currently  prioriting high risk (elderly or chronic disease)  people who have not received any vaccine as yet.

Take the 2nd AZ is my advice.

• Like 2

On 8/10/2021 at 11:40 PM, Sheryl said:

No guarantee at all that Pfizer would be made available to people who already had 1 dose AZ. In fact very unlikely witin next 3-6 months.

In the allocation of Pfizer for foteignets they are currently  prioriting high risk (elderly or chronic disease)  people who have not received any vaccine as yet.

Take the 2nd AZ is my advice.

Hi, 

Since writing the thread it turns out that I’m on the list to get a Pfizer jab and also my staff have as well. 

Its been 9 weeks since my first AZ shot. Im booked in the system to have the 2nd AZ in a few weeks. 

Now I face a huge decision…

I read on a website the risks of the Pfizer jab:

A serious complication has been linked to the Pfizer and Moderna mRNA vaccines, too. In rare cases, people have developed inflammation of the heart muscle (myocarditis) or inflammation of the lining of the heart (pericarditis). Wood says this happens mostly in younger men, aged under 30, and is more common after dose two, usually about 10 days after.

“The symptoms of that one can include chest pain, palpitations – like your heart skipping a beat – and pain when you breathe in. And sometimes shortness of breath,” he says.

- Abnormal heart pumping- poor contraction
- Moderately enlarged left ventrical and moderate global hypokinesia
- Enlarged arotic root
- Prolapse of the mitral valves
- cardiomyopathy

In my situation having read the risks and having been diagnosed with minor heart issues above do you think I should avoid having the Pfizer jab? Should I just proceed with the AZ?

Thanks for your opinion on this

11 hours ago, bbabythai said:

Hi, 

Since writing the thread it turns out that I’m on the list to get a Pfizer jab and also my staff have as well. 

Its been 9 weeks since my first AZ shot. Im booked in the system to have the 2nd AZ in a few weeks. 

Now I face a huge decision…

I read on a website the risks of the Pfizer jab:

A serious complication has been linked to the Pfizer and Moderna mRNA vaccines, too. In rare cases, people have developed inflammation of the heart muscle (myocarditis) or inflammation of the lining of the heart (pericarditis). Wood says this happens mostly in younger men, aged under 30, and is more common after dose two, usually about 10 days after.

“The symptoms of that one can include chest pain, palpitations – like your heart skipping a beat – and pain when you breathe in. And sometimes shortness of breath,” he says.

- Abnormal heart pumping- poor contraction
- Moderately enlarged left ventrical and moderate global hypokinesia
- Enlarged arotic root
- Prolapse of the mitral valves
- cardiomyopathy

In my situation having read the risks and having been diagnosed with minor heart issues above do you think I should avoid having the Pfizer jab? Should I just proceed with the AZ?

Thanks for your opinion on this

Those are not "minor" heart issues, far from it. They are very significant ones esp the myopathy.

I don't think this history would affect your (very, very low) risk of developing myocarditis from the vaccine -- but they could well affect your ability to tolerate that if it did occur. and your underlying cardiomyopathy might worsen as a rersult.

As I previously said, I do not think they will in any case give you Pfizer knowing you already had AZ. The Pfizer doses are limited to people with no prior immunization at this time.