Foreign driver dies in Pattaya after crashing into another vehicle during curfew, second driver flees scene

webfact

tpm11.jpg

By Goong Nang(GN)

Banglamung/Pattaya – A male foreign driver has been pronounced dead at the scene after he collided his sedan into what authorities suspect was a trailer truck in Nongprue last night (August 10th). However, the trailer truck was not found at the scene.

Emergency responders were notified of the accident at 10:30 P.M. on Motorway 7 (Pattaya – Map Ta Phut) in Nongprue. This is during a current mandatory Covid-19 related curfew overnight from 9 PM to 4 AM.

First responders, law enforcement, and The Pattaya News arrived at the scene to find a heavily damaged sedan on the road. The 39-year-old foreign driver, a Caucasian male, whose name was withheld by The Pattaya News pending family and embassy verification, was found inside the car.

Full story: https://thepattayanews.com/2021/08/11/foreign-driver-dies-in-pattaya-after-crashing-into-another-vehicle-during-curfew-second-driver-flees-scene/

PattayaNews.jpg

• Sad 3

So he was out when he shouldn't have been, but RIP anyway.

How strictly are they policing the curfew? I ask because on several nights, well after the 9:00 PM start, I've had a look at Google Maps and it seems to show traffic jams or holdups in South Pattaya. Is this real, and if so who exactly are all these people stuck in traffic jams after the curfew has started, or is it just some googly artefact of there being no traffic around? This is one example, why is there a traffic jam at the South Pattaya Road/second Road intersection?

Screenshot_2021-07-23-22-09-31-23.thumb.png.ea0476b625444eef8b83a2cf836af0bb.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Guderian said:

How strictly are they policing the curfew? I ask because on several nights, well after the 9:00 PM start, I've had a look at Google Maps and it seems to show traffic jams or holdups in South Pattaya. Is this real, and if so who exactly are all these people stuck in traffic jams after the curfew has started, or is it just some googly artefact of there being no traffic around? This is one example, why is there a traffic jam at the South Pattaya Road/second Road intersection?

Screenshot_2021-07-23-22-09-31-23.thumb.png.ea0476b625444eef8b83a2cf836af0bb.png

Realize that Google traffic gets their data from the reported position and speed of cellphones travelling along routes. The algo is quite sophisticated, but not smart enough to know about any Thai lockdown schedules. The traffic jam data must have included those that are stationary at home along the route, and as no traffic is travelling along a main route, it reports as a jam. 

• Confused 2

3 hours ago, Guderian said:

How strictly are they policing the curfew? I ask because on several nights, well after the 9:00 PM start, I've had a look at Google Maps and it seems to show traffic jams or holdups in South Pattaya....

Forgive me, but personal responsibility comes into play here. People ignoring curfews need to be policed? No. They need a good slap to get a grip. Whilst I agree that certain rules, regulations and laws are a nonsense, ignoring them and expecting no consequences is peurile.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I got the answer from the news on 103FM this afternoon. Apparently, in areas of the Dark Side, most people are simply ignoring the curfew and doing as they please, it's not being policed. Safe to say it's much the same across the whole city.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gold Star said:

Realize that Google traffic gets their data from the reported position and speed of cellphones travelling along routes. The algo is quite sophisticated, but not smart enough to know about any Thai lockdown schedules. The traffic jam data must have included those that are stationary at home along the route, and as no traffic is travelling along a main route, it reports as a jam. 

No, that's not the reason, as checking the traffic via Google Maps 30 minutes later shows holdups in different places, so traffic is there and it is moving. See my previous post, it seems the curfew is not being policed, unless perhaps you are very unlucky or run into the back of a truck and die.

• Like 1

Odd that for some reason they decided to withhold his name and nationality.

They usually plaster it along with photos of his passport and complete home address where everyone can see.

Could be a number of legitimate reasons why he was there during curfew. Doesn't mean he was out partying. We'll probably never know though.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Guderian said:

You must be really bored or a passionate spy

Theres always some accident happening in Pattaya and thereabouts.

Even with the curfew and bar closings that area attracts drunk drivers.  Lockdown or not theres a "party" mentality.

Thats of course not all but a few intoxicated drivers can effect a lot of people unfortunately.

RIP

13 hours ago, Guderian said:

I got the answer from the news on 103FM this afternoon. Apparently, in areas of the Dark Side, most people are simply ignoring the curfew and doing as they please,

Speaking as someone that actually lives on the Darkside, I can tell you this is false info.  

20 hours ago, Guderian said:

The curfew must be over because after 9pm and before 4 am there is a continuous stream of cars and motor bikes going past my house on Thepprasit Soi 8. Not a useless cop in sight.

2 hours ago, Khun Yogi said:

The curfew must be over because after 9pm and before 4 am there is a continuous stream of cars and motor bikes going past my house on Thepprasit Soi 8. Not a useless cop in sight.

I also note places open after 9pm. In fact I was out after 9pm(accidentally) and walked past two policemen.

But in all honesty it's because most people realise that the real curfew time isn't really 9pm. They say 9pm for 10 pm. Because if they say 10 pm, people will only begin to disperse at 10 pm.

Which is fair enough. That's why you don't see any real checkpoints before 10pm.Because many vendors only start making their way home at 9pm. Makes sense that they would try to make as much as possible whilst there are people.

No one bothers you as long as you don't take the mickey.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bruno123 said:

It's really to stop gatherings. There aren't the resources to check and cross check and....

You know how it is here. I don't understand why people who choose to live in Thailand for a relaxed way of life, start demanding that it is run like a police or nanny state. 

Stop moaning about everything for goodness sake and take some personal responsibility to keep yourself and others around you safe.

TiT. You want China, try China. ????

You have misunderstood I am afraid.

The demand was the opposite: 

Don't pretend a max security dark red status, just say ppl go around and about as usual.

If don't use a colour system, don't try to scare, and open everything else the same in Pattaya as hua him or ko Chang, or whatever else!!

2 minutes ago, tingtong said:

You have misunderstood I am afraid.

The demand was the opposite: 

Don't pretend a max security dark red status, just say ppl go around and about as usual.

If don't use a colour system, don't try to scare, and open everything else the same in Pattaya as hua him or ko Chang, or whatever else!!

Not necessarily. Perhaps if you do that there will be a free for all. But great; now you have given the game away, everyone will be travelling. ????

1 hour ago, Bruno123 said:

Not necessarily. Perhaps if you do that there will be a free for all. But great; now you have given the game away, everyone will be travelling. ????

LoL, I was hardly alone on the road.

But true, little mention on this topic here.

Meanwhile, 

Gym, pool, beach, jogging off the table...bcos it is dark red zone.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tingtong said:

LoL, I was hardly alone on the road.

But true, little mention on this topic here.

Meanwhile, 

Gym, pool, beach, jogging off the table...bcos it is dark red zone.

I guess it helps to stop the big city dwellers from visiting as there is no point in going if you cannot use the beach or a pool. So there is some reason in the madness.