UPDATE on several planned Pattaya projects: Extreme sports area near Bali Hai, Pattaya Beach renovation, and sports center

snoop1130

182721.jpg

The following is an update on several projects that have been or are currently in development around the Pattaya area.

First up, a small “extreme sports” area including a skatepark and basketball courts under the Bali Hai overpass is completely finished and officials plan to place a security booth there as well. More details on this are below.

Secondly, a long-planned major renovation of North Pattaya Beach to South Pattaya Beach has started. This plan includes public parking, exercise areas, playgrounds, space for food vendors, plenty of trees and seating, and much more. More on this below as well.

Full Story: https://thepattayanews.com/2021/08/12/update-on-several-planned-pattaya-projects-extreme-sports-area-near-bali-hai-pattaya-beach-renovation-and-sports-center/

PattayaNews.jpg

Awesome idea !
Make a "skateboard park" and Basketball courts under an overpass, with lots of traffic screaming by on both sides and no parking except on the U-Turn lanes.

"Awesome" if the idea is to trim down the number of young people in the city by increasing the number of traffic accidents in that area.

What next, a children's playground and day care center in the middle divider of the Sukhumvit Highway ? Parts of it almost qualify as a "water park" already whenever it rains so why not expand on that ? 
What could go wrong ?

I thought they were going to announce that they were going to revive the "expansion" of Bali Hai that they had previously used to make that condo project "legal" (and then cancelled the project after the condo project was approved).

IMG_7280-scaled.thumb.jpg.7e0ccdc7c71b0e24f61663cd1716db3c.jpg

Edited by Kerryd
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Soikhaonoiken said:

Money would be better spent on purchasing vaccines..... 

Vaccines are not going to happen any time soon, so a better Plan would be to fill in all the God damn Holes and clean up the entire City because its a Slum.

• Like 1

I still think the best renovation they could do is take down all the businesses on the beach side of Walking Street 

They do not need a sports arena they need to build things that will make people that do not live in Pattaya want to go there.

Thais do not want to see a derelict old looking slum like walking street.  Hell Patpong looks more inviting during the day and night.

• Confused 2

40 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

The new beach promenade will be great If.......

#1....You hate shade and shade trees......

#2... You like having nowhere to sit.....

#3.... You especially hate sitting on a park bench under a shade tree......

#4.. You Love love love shadeless Palm Trees, (expect no other tree on the beach).....

#5 You love hanging on the beach all day under the hot sun with zero shade and zero places to sit........ 

Hate to spoil all the fun we're having stirring this pot, but what we have here isn't actually a "new promenade," but merely a few delayed upgrades we all so much enjoyed sneering at last year:

160 million baht Pattaya beach renovation to be started at the end of this year

The renovation will consist of repaired and renewed footpaths, more green zones, more parking areas and underground toilets.

Which, on its face, addresses some long-standing whinges voiced here. The lack of parking was decried as early as two decades ago.

We'll see how it goes, if it goes this time.

• Haha 1

Seems to me going around the underpass every few days there are more homeless people sleeping there now a new clean concrete base layer has been poured, seems a nice and convenient picnic area as well now when free food has been collected from the handouts at  Bali Hai. Even the stray dogs seem grateful in the shade of their improved facilities.

Fair play I say to that much maligned Junta appointed, nae reinstalled, unelected body of tireless pubic servants that is City Hall.  Inadvertently doing something that benefits the less fortunate in Pattaya is truly heartwarming, dare I say it totally gobsmackingly unexpected.   Perhaps if they are employing  permanent security staff they could make this civic gem a full multi-purpose community facility and allow them to sleep securely locked in the courts at night. With said security they wouldn't even have to go to the expense of another CCTV tender that perish the thought, against all odds, would become inoperative quicker than a Beach Road fake Rolex.

Now with that problem solved if they could just see their way to removing the pemanent Caterpillar plant hire business that seems to have taken up squatters rights on that beautiful multi-billion baht pristine stretch of reclaimed sand leading to the City's unique open air natural waste water treatment plant.  Having suffered the not inconsequential inconvenience of decades of both motorised and pedestrian travel chaos for the greater good, I think it's a little bit unreasonable that I can't enjoy a peaceful, construction free uninterrupted view of nature taking it's course before it's too late and the 8th Wonder of the World disappears again before my very eyes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

For those that don't know, the funds ( according to the mayor ) came from a conglomerate involved in the Eastern Economic Corridor, some from central government as well apparently, so according to Mr Mayor it was not the city's money in the first place to spend where it wanted ie the starving & homeless, as so many people demanded.

The large shade trees that were removed, although having been in situ for about 30 years were trees common to Thailand, but were a softwood variety & were considered a danger to people during storms and high winds as large bits were known to break off.

So there you have it, I'm not saying I agree with it, just stating facts.

• Confused 2

On 8/24/2021 at 9:54 PM, Golden Triangle said:

The large shade trees that were removed, although having been in situ for about 30 years were trees common to Thailand, but were a softwood variety & were considered a danger to people during storms and high winds as large bits were known to break off.

So there you have it, I'm not saying I agree with it, just stating facts.

LOL. Strange then that there hasn't been reports of people being injured/ killed by falling tree limbs in the past 30 years then, that I know of. Tell me if I'm wrong.

The coconuts that were on the coconut trees were an actual hazard that could have killed anyone they fell on, and no effort was made to remove them while small.

More a case of inventing an excuse to remove the trees, IMO, than factual.

BTW, they were there longer ago than a mere 30 years.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL. Strange then that there hasn't been reports of people being injured/ killed by falling tree limbs in the past 30 years then, that I know of. Tell me if I'm wrong.

The coconuts that were on the coconut trees were an actual hazard that could have killed anyone they fell on, and no effort was made to remove them while small.

More a case of inventing an excuse to remove the trees, IMO, than factual.

BTW, they were there longer ago than a mere 30 years.

Don't shoot the messenger ???? I'm only repeating what the mayor said a few days or even a week ago, unfortunately I can't remember where I read it, either here or the Pattaya Mail or even that other Pattaya paper whose name escapes me at the moment.

• Like 1