Thailand reports 21,882 new COVID-19 cases, 209 fatalities

Jonathan Fairfield

6 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Today?  I understood this meeting was scheduled for tomorrow, Monday.

CCSA meets today to extend Covid measures, or ease restrictions

Today’s meeting of Thailand’s peak Covid organisations will decide the continuation, or the juggling, of restrictions as the CCSA and government departments grapple with country’s steady, but worrisome, increases in both new infections and deaths over the past month.

Currently, 29 provinces are Dark Red Zones, classified as the maximum and strict controlled area designation.

The CCSA will meet today and decide if they will extend the current lockdown measures. The extension of the Red Zones, with the highest levels of restrictions and curfews, have been ramped up over the past month but have seen a steady rise in both new infections and deaths, both in the key battle grounds around the city and nearby provinces, and the other provinces as well.

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/ccsa-meets-today-to-extend-covid-measures-or-ease-restrictions

Thaiger are not known for their accurate reporting!  The OP says Monday, and I'm sure that's when it is.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, b17 said:

Last night, just before I completed watching the 322nd sheep jump over the fence, my Thai wife tapped me on the shoulder and asked me a question about this forum. 

"If the US government has earmarked a certain percentage of the 1.5 million doses of the Pfizer vaccine, why hasn't anyone started a petition to get the benefactors to pressure the recipients to come clean on their commitment to sharing the vaccine with the foreign residents of Thailand?"

I had no answer. Do any of you?

A couple key reasons 

1. There are very few Americans in Thailand

2. Westerners, in general, are cynical and know that Western governments don't really care about their citizens who choose to live in foreign countries 

3. Westerners also don't delude themselves into thinking the Thais will do anything outside of their predisposed behaviors 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Interesting that the CCSA's options seem to be extending the existing restrictions, or easing some of them, not tightening them up.

I for one am not sure what the restrictions entail. Clearly spelt out ones such as 9pm curfew are easily understood. 

As an example, I'm meeting owner of realestate today re sale. Hence meeting on site. Is that against the rules?

What if the realestate had been in say Chonburi (I'm Bangkok)....is that necessary travel?

Parks should be open and since restrictions surely will continue, some targeted businesses/services need to be at least considered. Banks (in malls) one example. 

Urgent is how vaccine is being administered. The pics we see in this thread and along with my own experience at Bang Sue was seriously bad for spread of covid.

A post with a link to the Bangkok Post has been removed:

26) The Bangkok Post and Phuketwan do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on ASEANNOW.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post or Phuketwan publications will be deleted from the forum.

Anybody tried to find an open bank lately?  Mall branches are closed, and non-mall branches are often shut because Covid was found inside. The branch open yesterday might suddenly be closed for the next 14 days.

If one has banking business that cannot be handled online or via an ATM, best get to the bank branch (if one can find an open one) right at 0830 opening. Come at 1000 and get a queue # that places you perhaps a hundred customers in the future. Plus, a limited number of folks are allowed inside, so most of the hopefuls are waiting on the sidewalk.

Adding to the difficulties, business that cannot be handled online or via an ATM tends to be complex, so each customer takes a while.

Before I learned my lesson and started getting to the branch just after 0800, I had a four hour wait at one of my banks. The first three hours were spent on the sidewalk. Folks weren't exactly queuing to get an inside seat. When a seat became available, there was a rush to the door to get in and escape the outside heat. Once I realized everyone who beat me to the bank had already gotten an inside seat, I played 'ugly farang' and bullied my way inside (though it was my turn). I guess we're in the tropics, so it's 'law of the jungle'......whoops....'rainforest'. The word 'jungle' has been PC-86'd.

Bottom line: perhaps consider opening a few mall bank branches, as the outside wait is still in an aircon environment.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

By now with the number of infections, hospitalizations and deaths the government must have accumulated more than enough data to know how effective Sinovac and AZ are for each of the different endpoints.  I haven't seen any such data published.  Has anyone seen this? Every bioinformatics scientist that I've known would love to sink their teeth into such a dataset and would likely have summaries and conclusions ready in a day or so.

If it hasn't been published it is suspicious and likely does not cast one or both vaccines in a good light.

• Sad 2

56 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Because since last month more real world studies have been published that include the waning of Pfizer.

"Overall, it found that the Moderna vaccine was 86% effective against infection over the study period, and Pfizer's was 76%. Moderna's vaccine was 92% effective against hospitalization and Pfizer's was 85%.

But the vaccines' effectiveness against infection dropped sharply in July, when the Delta variant's prevalence in Minnesota had risen to over 70%.

Moderna was 76% effective against infection, and Pfizer was only 42% effective."

https://www.axios.com/coronavirus-vaccines-pfizer-moderna-delta-biden-e9be4bb0-3d10-4f56-8054-5410be357070.html

Its the same with real world studies from Israel.

Moderna now seems to the the best candidate vaccine against Delta.

Most vaccines begin to lose their efficacy at some point.  Pfizer was widely administered earlier than Moderna.  So the question is how long are they effective for before we see waning efficacy?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

On Friday, the CCSA warned cases could double to 45,000 per day by early next month, even with current lockdown measures in place.

Meanwhile, the World Health Organisation's Thailand office has also predicted the country will continue to see high case numbers and fatalities over the coming weeks.

I gather that the Big Cheeses are meeting again tomorrow to discuss what to do next. The piece I read said the idea is that certain restrictions may be loosened to allow a few people to get back to work, like allowing some shops in malls to reopen. With Delta rampaging through the population, though, that doesn't sound sensible to me, and I have a suspicion that instead of loosening things we might see further tightening tomorrow. The one big thing they did in April/May last year that they haven't done this time around was to ban the sale of alcohol for a month or more. Are there any feelings/views/informed sources out there suggesting what will happen next, will they loosen or tighten our Covid bonds?

12 minutes ago, NanaSomchai said:

Millions of lives are being destroyed as we speak, entire families are falling into extreme poverty and people are dying in droves worldwide and yet, all you seem to care about is the "sale of alcohol"?

You have interesting "priorities" my friend...

Well, unless you've been asleep the whole time, you should know by now that alcohol kills the virus very effectively, lol!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, pseudorabies said:

By now with the number of infections, hospitalizations and deaths the government must have accumulated more than enough data to know how effective Sinovac and AZ are for each of the different endpoints.  I haven't seen any such data published.  Has anyone seen this? Every bioinformatics scientist that I've known would love to sink their teeth into such a dataset and would likely have summaries and conclusions ready in a day or so.

If it hasn't been published it is suspicious and likely does not cast one or both vaccines in a good light.

It seems many governments are withholding the breakthrough data in order not to undermine the vaccination campaigns and boost the anti vaxers. Makes some sense..although some people say we can handle the truth.

https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1425492860619481098/

Most vaccines seem to lose quite a bit of protection within 6 months, hopefully the boosters will be game changers. So if there is a breakthrough case the length of time after the second shot can be important factor, which makes the reporting even more complicated.

It is a very small sample, but it is reported that all vaccinated cases in Samui are asymptomatic, all symptomatic and severe cases are not vaccinated.  Around 45% of the Samui people are fully vaccinated, Sinovac and AZ.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

The developer of the AstraZeneca shot says the Delta variant has made herd immunity impossible because vaccinated people can still transmit the virus

The Delta variant has changed the equation for achieving herd immunity, the developer of the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine has said.

Speaking at a UK parliamentary meeting on Tuesday, Sir Andrew Pollard, a professor of pediatric infection and immunity at the University of Oxford, said that achieving herd immunity is "not a possibility" now that the Delta variant is circulating. 

"We know very clearly with coronavirus that this current variant, the Delta variant, will still infect people who have been vaccinated, and that does mean that anyone who's still unvaccinated, at some point, will meet the virus," Pollard said.

https://www.businessinsider.com/delta-variant-made-herd-immunity-not-possible-astrazeneca-developer-2021-8

It will be interesting to see what they do with Phuket in a months time.

By then, it will probably be a reality that 70% of people have been fully vaccinated. And if only fully vaccinated people are allowed in, both internationally and domestically, there really isn’t any reason why the island should not open up within its borders and live life normally.

With that level of vaccinations, it’s probably as good as it is ever going to get, so with the vaccination phase completed, so should the lockdown phase finish, and it should be time to start counting hospitalizations and deaths, rather than cases.

a couple of caveats of course, for instance the high usage of sinovax means that booster shots should be on the horizon. naturally asymptomatic cases need to be ignored and hospital capacity monitored against symptomatic cases. And if unvaccinated people start to find their way onto the island, then case counts might become an issue because it will result in higher hospitalizations that may strain capacity.

but overall, Phuket as a ring fenced province, should be able to allow people to live normally within its borders and be open to fully vaccinated tourists without Covid restrictions.

somewhat surreal to imagine that when one compares the situation in the rest of Thailand, but that is a reality.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Credo said:

Most vaccines begin to lose their efficacy at some point.  Pfizer was widely administered earlier than Moderna.  So the question is how long are they effective for before we see waning efficacy?

Oh thats a probability sure, I was pointing out the latest studies, my post was to highlight that it was not just Sinovac or AstraZeneca.

Although we all know that out of all of them Sinovac is the least effective and according to studies wanes far quicker, rendering its use with Delta highly questionable to stop the spread.

Why do they keep stating inoculated and not initial dose or fully inoculated?  This article is not very clear.

Hua Hin has set the goal of having at least 70% of its local population and 100% of its tourism sector workers inoculated against COVID-19 before reopening its tourism industry.

“Hua Hin Recharge” project head Krot Rotchanasathian said that up to 90% of the people involved in tourism and service businesses in the district have already been vaccinated, while more than 30% of the area's general population have been given COVID-19 shots. If Hua Hin can receive tourists from October as planned, the district can expect about 100,000 visitors and more than 1.2 billion baht in tourism-related revenue by year end.

https://www.facebook.com/nbtworld/posts/10158199514172050

May be an image of 2 people, people standing and text

• Like 1

1 hour ago, anchadian said:

Today?  I understood this meeting was scheduled for tomorrow, Monday.

CCSA meets today to extend Covid measures, or ease restrictions

Today’s meeting of Thailand’s peak Covid organisations will decide the continuation, or the juggling, of restrictions as the CCSA and government departments grapple with country’s steady, but worrisome, increases in both new infections and deaths over the past month.

Currently, 29 provinces are Dark Red Zones, classified as the maximum and strict controlled area designation.

The CCSA will meet today and decide if they will extend the current lockdown measures. The extension of the Red Zones, with the highest levels of restrictions and curfews, have been ramped up over the past month but have seen a steady rise in both new infections and deaths, both in the key battle grounds around the city and nearby provinces, and the other provinces as well.

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/ccsa-meets-today-to-extend-covid-measures-or-ease-restrictions

The CCSA press briefings in Thai and English will now take place on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Also, there will be an important meeting on Monday to decide whether to make any changes to the present restrictions. Stay tuned #Thailand

https://mobile.twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1426070938437656581

https://aseannow.com/topic/1227542-thailand-to-consider-extending-lockdown-amid-warning-over-rising-cases/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, anchadian said:

This is the scene at Lotus Siluad in Samut Prakan since before sunrise of people queuing up to get a queue card for the Pfizer vaccine. This is available to people 60+, pregnant women, children 12-18 with underline conditions and obese people ( ที่นี่สมุทรปราการ) #Thailand

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1426700072201330688

pathetic  isnt  it

• Like 1

Phuket has extended its restrictions until the end of August, including the sealing off of the island to outsiders, with some exceptions, due to continuing high numbers of new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/phuket-extends-restrictions-for-14-days-due-to-high-numbers-of-new-covid-19-cases/

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Vaccination update for #Bangkok for yesterday:

86,753 people vaccinated in one day

Medical workers: +5,277

Underlying conditions: +6,740

Elderly: +4,679

7,334,932 doses administered so far

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1426746789021900805

How do you go from a supposed 650k vaccinations to 89k vaccinations? Something is definitely not right with the number of vaccinations being reported.

• Like 1