Thailand reports 21,882 new COVID-19 cases, 209 fatalities

Jonathan Fairfield

10 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Very poor post. Misinformation especially at a time when vaccination is being encouraged.

You have personal opinion regarding AZ that's fine. Your option is to not accept it.

So you say what Reuters writes is garbage and the people should listen to you. Okay - I think I have got it... 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Mickeymaus said:

I am not sure what the government wants to achieve by still using AstraZeneca or even SINOVAC. Many vaccinated people or many protected people? Next week registration for expats in Pattaya starts. Available is only SINOVAC and AstraZeneca. Very bad... On top of it AstraZeneca has the blood clot risk. 

"Wednesday's study found that two doses of Pfizer's shot was 88% effective at preventing symptomatic disease from the Delta variant, compared to 93.7% against the Alpha variant, broadly the same as previously reported.

Two shots of AstraZeneca vaccine were 67% effective against the Delta variant, up from 60% originally reported, and 74.5% effective against the Alpha variant, compared to an original estimate of 66% effectiveness."

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/two-doses-pfizer-astrazeneca-shots-effective-against-delta-variant-study-finds-2021-07-21/

I've said this before and I'll say it again - efficacy figures vary based on time and location (and clinical endpoint). So one study in one location can give you one rate of efficacy against one endpoint, while a study done with different parameters can give different values.

So, as @Bkk Brian already pointed out, a study done later in Israel gave a completely different efficacy figure for the Pfizer vaccine against symptomatic infection with the Delta variant, of only 39%.

The important thing to bear in mind is that almost all the vaccines provide high levels of protection against serious illness, hospitalisation or death.

Directly comparing efficacy rates of different vaccines based on studies done in different locations at different times, with necessarily different conditions, is not a particularly useful exercise.

Edited by GroveHillWanderer
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

I've said this before and I'll say it again - efficacy figures vary based on time and location (and clinical endpoint). So one study in one location can give you one rate of efficacy against one endpoint, while a study find with different parameters can give different values.

So, as @Bkk Brian already pointed out, a study done later in Israel gave a completely different efficacy figure for the Pfizer vaccine against symptomatic infection with the Delta variant, of only 39%.

The important thing to bear in mind is that almost all the vaccines provide high levels of protection against serious illness, hospitalisation or death.

Directly comparing efficacy rates of different vaccines based on studies done in different locations at different times, with necessarily different conditions, is not a particularly useful exercise.

Obviously you are the expert. Please tell me the efficacy figures for SINOVAC in Israel. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Mickeymaus said:

Obviously you are the expert. Please tell me the efficacy figures for SINOVAC in Israel. 

Not sure what you're on about. SinoVac is not used in Israel. But if it were, a study done there would get different efficacy figures than one done elsewhere.

Edited by GroveHillWanderer
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Not sure what you're on about. SinoVac is not used in Israel. But if it were, a study done there would get different efficacy figures than one done elsewhere.

So SinoVac isn't used in Israel. But you still say "But if it were, a study done there would get different efficacy figures than one done elsewhere." 

I think this says it all... about you. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

8 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

The Delta variant has changed the equation for achieving herd immunity, the developer of the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine has said.

I wonder how long Delta will be around before it mutates again and again into something very different.

7 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Bangkok's numbers have dropped some, but then the question is how many tests were done.  Let's be realistic as no one knows what the true numbers are especially with the ATK rapid tests being used at home.  Sure they report some numbers but how many are in isolation and unknown to the governments and hospitals 

For sure many who self test with ATK will not declare if they are Positive.

Even to their closest Family members.

And its just not the thought of a 14 Day stay in a Covid Field Hospital that will stop them coming forward for treatment.

The stigma and what Thais look at as " shame " ( dirty, unclean people ) due to a Positive ATK, test will enable many to just shrug their shoulders and carry on as normal, and in doing so will just be transmitters of the Virus.

I think its fair to assume the positive Infections are already well over 30 K per Day, and there are many in Society who will become super spreaders of the Virus, and will do so knowingly.

Without some kind of control and Policing of the ATK tests that are freely available, the situation can only get worse

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Yea the big worry for us all. Lets all hope we can avoid an even more dangerous mutation

Well it's going to mutate for sure, mutations seemed to come out of each continent in the order which they had 'waves of infection'.

Europe, South America and South Africa then South Asia (Delta), South East Asia is the next logical step.

Of course it mutates every week but most of them are so tiny and are not notable or 'of concern'.

I'm waiting for a less deadly strain to emerge, if you think about it the best end outcome for this would be a strain that spreads very fast but causes hardly any death while granting some kind of immunity and we already have a strain that spreads very fast, in my mind that's one step away from the end.

Maybe I'm being a little optimistic.....I'm waiting for it to turn into a common cold.

Edited by ukrules
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Scrotobike said:

How to create a Covid factory

The vaccination system in Thailand seems very chaotic with different provinces using different systems. Surely it's not beyond the Thai health department to set up one centralised system and avoid all these situations of masses of people gathering at the same place and time. TIT

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Very poor post. Misinformation especially at a time when vaccination is being encouraged.

You have personal opinion regarding AZ that's fine. Your option is to not accept it.

No it is not that bad. When I go there I have the choice between SinoVac and AstraZeneca. I have no problem to pay for Moderna or Pfizer - but no idea where. In respect of SinoVac and AstraZeneca - for me it is like the offer to jump from the 12th or 10th floor. It is not perfect. I will do it because there seems to be no alternative. And I really thank the government that it didn't forget the expats and I also understand that it has limited options. So let's hope the best. 

Edited by Mickeymaus

2 hours ago, Mickeymaus said:

No it is not that bad. When I go there I have the choice between SinoVac and AstraZeneca. I have no problem to pay for Moderna or Pfizer - but no idea where. In respect of SinoVac and AstraZeneca - for me it is like the offer to jump from the 12th or 10th floor. It is not perfect. I will do it because there seems to be no alternative. And I really thank the government that it didn't forget the expats and I also understand that it has limited options. So let's hope the best. 

Not sure what your problem is with AZ, its hardy jumping out the the 10th floor window taking it.

In my opinion it provides you with a parachute to break that fall from the 10th floor......????

Astrazeneca

"Real-world data from Canada showed 82% and 87% effectiveness after one dose against hospitalisation or death caused by Beta/Gamma and Delta variants respectively"

Study here

• Like 1

Have a nice retirement...............

The governor of Samut Sakhon has just resigned. This is the guy that spent weeks in ICU seriously sick with covid, came out and started working again tirelessly. Requested more vaccines from the government for the people in his province. Samut Sakhon Province has more cases per capita then any other province in Thailand including Bangkok.

"Governor Weerasak posted a Facebook post voicing health problems after contracting coronavirus. until I can't work as hard as before Can't move to another province Decided to resign 1 year before retirement."

FA_F9PDb?format=jpg&name=small

https://twitter.com/ThaiPBSNews/status/1426927248058191874

https://news.thaipbs.or.th/content/306959

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

The governor of Samut Sakhon has just resigned. This is the guy that spent weeks in ICU seriously sick with covid, came out and started working again tirelessly.

Personally not familiar with the guy, however just ran his name past the gf. She is bit of government kicker to say the least....so I was very surprised when she sang this guy's praises big time. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, anchadian said:

This is the scene at Lotus Siluad in Samut Prakan since before sunrise of people queuing up to get a queue card for the Pfizer vaccine. This is available to people 60+, pregnant women, children 12-18 with underline conditions and obese people ( ที่นี่สมุทรปราการ) #Thailand

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1426700072201330688

Superspreader event.

3 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Not sure what your problem is with AZ, its hardy jumping out the the 10th floor window taking it.

In my opinion it provides you with a parachute to break that fall from the 10th floor......????

Astrazeneca

"Real-world data from Canada showed 82% and 87% effectiveness after one dose against hospitalisation or death caused by Beta/Gamma and Delta variants respectively"

Study here

Promised. I will jump. If it doesn't work I will ask for a parachute ????