Labour Ministry prepares over 800,000 jobs to lessen unemployment

Jonathan Fairfield

1ce2dd9626a7edc259a10c3545849096_small.jpeg

BANGKOK (NNT) - “As the Labour Minister, I have assigned the director-general of the Department of Employment (DOE) to conduct a survey of labor demand in enterprises nationwide, and have proactively prepared 814,198 vacancies. 389,495 of the job vacancies are for skilled Thai workers and 424,703 vacancies are in migrant worker-dependent businesses.

Thai workers are also welcome and will be paid no less than the minimum wage. Most of the available jobs are in the export manufacturing sector of the automotive industry, as well as the production of electronic circuit boards, medical equipment, and frozen food”, said Labour Minister Suchart Chomklin

In addition, since August the Department of Employment has proactively supported matching between employers and job applicants during the pandemic, via an Online DOE Job Fair 2021 platform, offering job searches and interviews which can be done online. The Thai-based platform has more than 1.3 million vacancies.

DOE director-general Pairoj Chotikasathien, said today that the first Online Job Fair was held for job markets in Chiangmai, Chiangrai, Phitsanulok, Pathumthani, Nonthaburi, Samutprakarn, Udonthani, Nakhonratchasima and Nakhon Si Thammarat. There were 9,064 vacancies available. 4,245 applicants had registered and 931 were immediately hired. On 13th August, a similar expo was held in the Eastern Special Development Zone (EEC) at which 8,910 positions were available in Chachoengsao, Chonburi and Rayong.

Regarding Thai workers who apply for positions in overseas job markets including Sweden and Finland, the Labour Ministry plans to send 100,000 Thai workers abroad in 2021 fiscal year. 38,019 have already departed and 61,981 are in the process of being sent as planned.

Job applicants can seek more information at www.doe.go.th

nnt.jpg

3 minutes ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

There were 9,064 vacancies available. 4,245 applicants had registered and 931 were immediately hired.

Doesn't say much about the the others. We hear so much about the dire straits Thailand's economy is in yet 50% of the available jobs weren't applied for.  Maybe this suggests the average Thai is allergic to work.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mikebell said:

Doesn't say much about the the others. We hear so much about the dire straits Thailand's economy is in yet 50% of the available jobs weren't applied for.  Maybe this suggests the average Thai is allergic to work.

Or maybe the companies are advertising the vacancies in the wrong media? 

• Thanks 1

Maybe they could open labour exchange offices in every tambol... somewhere businesses could advertise vacancies with required skill sets. These could be matched to workers before going for interviews.

That would create employment in it's own right.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, mikebell said:

Or maybe its a load of old tosh from somebody who has to say something, anything will do.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

Takes brains to do such things but even then i can just imagine almost nobody turning up at the Labour Exchange; a few Women maybe but the majority of Men around our way are not interested in any work, just send the Mrs out to work all hours in the Local Market to earn enough for Beer, Fags, feed the Kids etc.  The Teenage Boys have little interest in any work; much easier to live off their Parents backs while they lob Yaba down their throats and lay around all day !

Sounds like you live near me...Same here.

6 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

So just survey waffle then

My wife works in the Department of Skill Development which is part of the Ministry of Labour and I sent this to her. I pointed out that it doesn't make sense to survey vacancies when you've already "proactively prepared 814,198 vacancies". I'm not sure I understand how you can do that either.

23 hours ago, Hayduke said:

Maybe it suggests that some people like to tell themselves this.

Have you ever walked round Thaiwatsadu (pre-Covid) and noted the groups of 'workers' hiding in the shadows, playing with their phones, avoiding customers?  Have you ever observed the diligence of Thai cops monitoring traffic during the regular overtime Dangerous Days bonanza? 

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

and have proactively prepared 814,198 vacancies. 389,495 of the job vacancies are for skilled Thai workers and 424,703 vacancies are in migrant worker-dependent businesses.

How does one "proactively" prepare job vacancies?

What is a "migrant worker dependent business? Is that job no one else wants?

How do you apply during travel restrictions/lockdowns and no funds to travel anyway?

Is the Labour Minister attending classes with the Tourism department  of obfuscation?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, kimamey said:

My wife works in the Department of Skill Development which is part of the Ministry of Labour and I sent this to her. I pointed out that it doesn't make sense to survey vacancies when you've already "proactively prepared 814,198 vacancies". I'm not sure I understand how you can do that either.

It is Ok, ask the PR department they may explain it to us

• Haha 1

On 8/15/2021 at 9:25 AM, mikebell said:

A reflection of the immaturity of the Thai economy and decades of policy which encouraged sufficiency. 

It works well as long as the Thais have virtually no significant middle class or even one aspiring to be. 

As long as tens of millions of Thais are happy to work a little when there is work and go back to subsistence farming when there is little work, Thais will not go hungry but also never attain higher levels of socioeconomic development. 

It's PERFECT for the elites. In fact, I wish I could get in on it