Extension of domestic travel ban?

alw22

Thailand to consider extending lockdown amid warning over rising cases today's post so the answer to your question will probably be yes, there will still be ban on domestic travel...

Edited by ezzra
  • Sad 2

I don't believe that there was ever a 'ban' as such, only that the current entry criteria includes being fully vaccinated and also have a negative PCR/ATK test no older than 72 hours.   Given today's number of 109 new infections, difficult to see anything at all being rescinded.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, oldcpu said:

Like others, I am waiting for the results of yesterday's meeting of Phuket officials, to appear in English language news (for Phuket).

Found the rules for the extended restrictions (another 14 days) in Thai language at Thairath.co.th.

I hesitate to try my luck based on Google translate.

There is one exception clause for people registered in blue house book OR working regularly in Phuket with supporting documents.

24 minutes ago, pagallim said:

I don't believe that there was ever a 'ban' as such

I see it as a ban. I would obviously not be allowed in just to enjoy holidays even after being vaccinated.

The rules start with a clear ban of ALL persons and vehicles EXCEPT ... following a long list which all look like essential, special permit/order. I don't see domestic holiday traveler?

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, alw22 said:

So domestic tourists who have been vaccinated are now allowed to enter? That's a pretty big change.

As long as they entered under the sandbox scheme. Ordinary domestic tourists are not allowed in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, anchadian said:

The exceptions are Phuket residents, visitors related to the “sandbox” scheme, and people who have been vaccinated.

https://twitter.com/ThaiPBSWorld/status/1426765249068240898

Thanks ... I don't plan to leave the Island, but I am curious as to what proof they will ask for to prove residency for any foreigner ('resident' of Phuket) who does return to Phuket.

I wonder if for Thai people it may (in part) be the "Blue Book" ... and I also wonder if foreign (non-immigrant or work-visa) who have a Yellow Book (indicating the place where they are resident) could use that as proof of them being considered a Phuket resident? 

If after this update becomes effective, I would be most curious to read of the experience of any foreigner/resident of Phuket in returning to Phuket (after having left).

• Like 2

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/phuket-extends-restrictions-for-14-days-due-to-high-numbers-of-new-covid-19-cases/

"Phuket has extended its restrictions until the end of August, including the sealing off of the island to outsiders, with some exceptions, due to continuing high numbers of new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases.

The exceptions are Phuket residents, visitors related to the “sandbox” scheme, and people who have been vaccinated with 2 shots of Sinovac or at least one shot of AstraZeneca, Pfizer, Moderna, or Johnson & Johnson at least 14 days prior to arrival, or those who have recovered from COVID-19 for at least 90 days. The visitors have to produce negative RT-PCR or Antigen test results not older than 72 hours."

If this is correct, anyone can enter now Phuket from mainland if fully vaccinated and negative PCR. 

13 minutes ago, Espanol said:

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/phuket-extends-restrictions-for-14-days-due-to-high-numbers-of-new-covid-19-cases/

"Phuket has extended its restrictions until the end of August, including the sealing off of the island to outsiders, with some exceptions, due to continuing high numbers of new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases.

The exceptions are Phuket residents, visitors related to the “sandbox” scheme, and people who have been vaccinated with 2 shots of Sinovac or at least one shot of AstraZeneca, Pfizer, Moderna, or Johnson & Johnson at least 14 days prior to arrival, or those who have recovered from COVID-19 for at least 90 days. The visitors have to produce negative RT-PCR or Antigen test results not older than 72 hours."

If this is correct, anyone can enter now Phuket from mainland if fully vaccinated and negative PCR. 

There hasn't been a previous definition of domestic tourist and/or visitor.   There hasn't been any change from the current criteria, i.e. if you have the vaccination history and a negative test, you could and can enter Phuket.   We all know that with the state of vaccinations being carried out nationally, this effectively stops all but a few from coming to Phuket, but an actual ban it isn't.   The one's most affected are family/friends of those who wanted to join people arriving under the Sandbox scheme and can't meet the vaccination requirements.

• Confused 2

21 minutes ago, Espanol said:

My Thai wife claims that is a poor translation ( or ambiguous English writing) in the Thai PBS article and that Phuket remains closed to domestic tourists according to the original official Thai language.

Edited by oldcpu
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, pagallim said:

There hasn't been a previous definition of domestic tourist and/or visitor.   There hasn't been any change from the current criteria, i.e. if you have the vaccination history and a negative test, you could and can enter Phuket. 

I do not believe that is accurate.  It was true for a short time, but then on 2-August (?) the restrictions were increased, and non-essential fully vaccinated domestic travelers to Phuket were not allowed to enter.  For a few days after, each day, hundreds were turned away at Sarasin bridge (according to the local press).

THere is an older Thaiger link to the article noting Phuket was closed to domestic travelers.  It didn't matter if fully vaccinated or not.

https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/domestic-travel-to-phuket-all-but-banned-starting-august-2

Edit: Just a further amplification, those who are considered 'essential' and on the exception list, also have to be fully vaccinated AND have had a recent COVID test.  Its easy to misread the article.

Edited by oldcpu
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, oldcpu said:

Thanks ... I don't plan to leave the Island, but I am curious as to what proof they will ask for to prove residency for any foreigner ('resident' of Phuket) who does return to Phuket.

I wonder if for Thai people it may (in part) be the "Blue Book" ... and I also wonder if foreign (non-immigrant or work-visa) who have a Yellow Book (indicating the place where they are resident) could use that as proof of them being considered a Phuket resident? 

If after this update becomes effective, I would be most curious to read of the experience of any foreigner/resident of Phuket in returning to Phuket (after having left).

Most of us have a notification of address stapled into the back of our passports. I assume that would be accepted for entry to Phuket if indeed the notification was for a Phuket address. But confirmation of this with Immigration is necessary. I am possibly going up near Chat Chai checkpoint tomorrow, I will try to check. 

• Like 1

Back when I lived in Asoke, I used the put my bicycle on a longtail boat and head over the Chao Phraya to the Elephant's Ear (island) in the middle of BKK.  

With so much water frontage, is Thailand able to patrol all the tiny docks to prevent movement to and from Phuket on small, private boats?  I'm sure they're doing well controlling the formal marine facilities, but I'm wondering if anyone on the ground has noticed any uptick in the price or frequency of longtail trips to/from Phuket?

Edited by impulse

I have an expat friend who is a resident of Phuket, who needs to leave Phuket for a few days (with a valid non-tourist reason, but not in the defined 'essential' list).  To try and optimize his chances of being assured to allow to return to Phuket, he has gone to the local city hall of his Phuket sub-district, to get a letter authorizing him to leave and return (he is not one of the identified 'essential' categories).

He has been vaccinated (1 jab AstraZeneca).  He noted his yellow book ( 'tabien baan' ) has enabled him to get the letter (and he beleves that his 'pink ID' also helped a bit in proving his residence, although I suspect the 'pink-ID' was not needed, but rather passport obviously essential - but heck, if it helps, it helps ).  

He noted another westerner, at the same time as him, trying the same thing (who had a driver's license but not a yellow book) was refused such a letter by the local city hall (ie this westerner's Thai driver's license was not sufficient, despite it having the Phuket address on it).

He leaves Phuket soon.  I should know within a week if he is able to return successfully.  I have my finger's crossed for him to have good luck

Edited by oldcpu
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, oldcpu said:

I presented the Thai driving license with my Phuket address and was waved through.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, BMW Overlander said:

I presented the Thai driving license with my Phuket address and was waved through.

That's good news !

Did you also have to show proof of vaccination and a recent COVID test (negative test result)?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, oldcpu said:

I have an expat friend who is a resident of Phuket, who needs to leave Phuket for a few days (with a valid non-tourist reason, but not in the defined 'essential' list).  To try and optimize his chances of being assured to allow to return to Phuket, he has gone to the local city hall of his Phuket sub-district, to get a letter authorizing him to leave and return (he is not one of the identified 'essential' categories).

Thinking about this some more, I believe this Phuket official subdistrict letter in essence puts him under the "exceptions" clause and not under the Phuket residents reentry clause, ... i.e it's likely he doesn't need this letter ( unless Phuket entry regulations are tightened again in this dynamic pandemic situation). ... ie the friend is just being ultra conservative to ensure he can re-enter Phuket.

Edited by oldcpu

5 hours ago, Timbuk2 said:

Does anybody know if its possible to travel from Phuket to BKK at this moment, after the mandatory 14 day sandbox ...?

Yes, it is.

There is a special bus and also vans:

https://www.thephuketnews.com/sandbox-express-bus-extended-private-vans-now-available-to-help-tourists-get-off-island-81073.php

"All bookings for the bus for Phuket Sandbox tourists must be made via the SHA Plus Manager at the passenger’s SHA Plus hotel".

Ask at your hotel front desk about the bus. 

Also you can fly to U-Tapao with Nok Air.

Edited by Espanol

On 8/15/2021 at 8:57 AM, Espanol said:

I don't think so, only residents of Phuket are allowed entry or people who entered Thailand via the Sandbox scheme.

Those people also need the vaccination and test certificates.

On 8/15/2021 at 1:08 PM, sbf said:

Most of us have a notification of address stapled into the back of our passports. I assume that would be accepted for entry to Phuket if indeed the notification was for a Phuket address. But confirmation of this with Immigration is necessary. I am possibly going up near Chat Chai checkpoint tomorrow, I will try to check. 

Normally that isn't accepted as proof of residence, Only the house book is as mentioned in the article.

2 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

Interesting - although if I read the article correctly, this hypothetical "Thai COVID pass" is still in the planning stages.

The article also mentions measures taken in the "Dark Red" zones, which remind me of last year in Phuket (albeit not as strict as there are no subdistrict border closures mentioned):

Disease control for dark red:

Disease control measures include…

• No interprovincial public transportation services.
  • Stay at home from 9pm to 4am.
  • Restaurants must only open for delivery services and must close by 8pm.
  • Non-essential stores in shopping centres must remain closed. Restaurants can open for delivery services only. Supermarkets and pharmacies inside the malls must close by 8pm. Banks and financial institutions must close by 8pm.
  • Sports venues and stadiums must close.
  • Beauty clinics and massage parlours must close.

Fortunately Phuket, as an Orange zone, while 'ugly', is not as bad as the 'Dark Red' for restrictions that are deemed necessary.

My noted friend in this thread needs to go from Phuket (Orange) to a 'Dark Red' zone, and then back to Phuket, and interprovincial transport services being closed complicates this for him a lot.