Thai towns

Sparktrader

Kuchinarai, Kalasin. Pre-Covid and Post Covid.

Pros: Few foreigners, prices are cheap, All the big stores and banks but definitely semi rural.

Mukdahan and Laos is 1 hour. Roi Et airport 45 mins. Khonkaen university hospital 1.5 hours. Kalasin city immigration 35-40 mins.

Police leave you alone. Handy for a lot of Isaarn popular places, Sakon Nakhon A beautiful mountain drive, Udon Thani, Nongkhai etc and you can even drive to the Cambodian and Laos borders easily.

Plenty of resorts with pools,  Expat Food deliveries countrywide are only 1 day away by courier services. Reasonable nightlife in Roi Et, Khonkaen, Kalasin if you can be bothered to take an hour in the car and stay overnight. Great for people who wish to work remotely by computer.

Cons: No beaches, No sea. Can get boring, slow moving pace. Few opportunities if you want to do any business. Few foreigners if you feel the need to meet them.

• Like 2

Lampang where I live is a large town and the people who tend to live here are those whose parents and family have grown up in the area. This makes it a PRO for me as it means I get to know many people, mainly Thai, and this in turn is through my wife who is well known and highly revered, having lived here for more than 40 years.

When I was searching for Mrs. Right, I told them I would live anywhere to be with them. In the past this has meant me living in Udon, Khon Kaen and Surat Thani. There were Pros and cons but none that affected my "joie de vie", it was the women themselves that were the cons.

There are pros and cons here but none that are more important than my marital relationship.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

Krabi has airport

Yes, I like those small airports and  we have used it many times but Krabi is quite a spread out place , especially if you venture towards Ao Nang. So then a vehicle is needed and there's limited choice and expense. Talking of airports  Hua Hin airport has the terminal but you actually land in Cha Am first.

The whole island where I live has status of "town", so I must be living in a town. However, in practice I need to drive between 5 and 10 kilometers to major city activities like shopping malls and hypermarkets, cinemas, night clubs, government offices - except Immigration, which is within healthy about two kilometers walking distance - a number of hospitals, or an international airport, and more...

Pros: 7-Eleven and Family Mart within 200 meters walk, together with almost everything else I need from restaurants, pharmacies, mum & dad shops, street vendors, Mini BigC and Lotus's Express, and much more.

More pros: 7 meters to beach, 15 meters to nearest restaurant, 50 meters to walking street with local shops and street vendors, circa 100 meters to bakery, 200 meters to a main road, a few kilometers to jungle and water fall.

Cons: 5-10 kilometers to international schools, otherwise I cannot instantly think of any...????

post-122720-0-87509000-1463543591_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

On 8/17/2021 at 7:00 PM, Sparktrader said:

Anyone live in Ubon?

Yup, I've lived here for 5 yrs. We're in the sticks. 7/11 nearest is 15 kms.

40bt bus ride to Ubon city.

This is the nicest village that I've lived in. Mum and Dad shops with beer at 50bt large bottle of Tiger, swimming and fishing in the mighty River Se.

What's not to like?

As Crossy says it depends on one's need.

I have lived in Chiang mai, Korat, Roiet, Nong kai and Fang as well as numerous holidays to the south that I have lost count.

Of them all, I like Fang best. I love it, but it could bore others to death. Its a bit of a back water with few tourists and I could count the other farangs that I have met here over the past 5 years on two hands. No traffic, easy parking, very low cost of living, friendly locals. When I roll up for a 90 day I am always the only one. Local hospital, dentist, mechanic and fresh food market are absolutely fantastic.

Our Sunday walking street is the best I have experienced in Thailand, ableit now closed due to covid.

Lots of community spirit.

Worst thing is the air pollution come burning season around February - March. No beach . . . but I have my own swimming pool, snooker, gym and hot girlfriend to amuse me.

20190626_181650.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, khunPer said:

The whole island where I live has status of "town", so I must be living in a town. However, in practice I need to drive between 5 and 10 kilometers to major city activities like shopping malls and hypermarkets, cinemas, night clubs, government offices - except Immigration, which is within healthy about two kilometers walking distance - a number of hospitals, or an international airport, and more...

Pros: 7-Eleven and Family Mart within 200 meters walk, together with almost everything else I need from restaurants, pharmacies, mum & dad shops, street vendors, Mini BigC and Lotus's Express, and much more.

More pros: 7 meters to beach, 15 meters to nearest restaurant, 50 meters to walking street with local shops and street vendors, circa 100 meters to bakery, 200 meters to a main road, a few kilometers to jungle and water fall.

Cons: 5-10 kilometers to international schools, otherwise I cannot instantly think of any...????

post-122720-0-87509000-1463543591_thumb.jpg

Samui?

1 hour ago, Sparktrader said:

Yes good inputs

1 hour ago, toofarnorth said:

'Gree, what a diverse lot we are.  Some like places like Patts, or Puk. others like the mountains or quiet villages , a very good topiic indeed.

I am here because we had the land and built on it, if you went into a topic of where we actually are most happy or comfortable living, that's a whole new thread.

My other half is very happy up by her family so that counts for most things, and I am relatively happy but prefer it when I can have my few holidays away in Cambodia and Vietnam which at this moment in time, is not possible.

Not too small, not too big.

Cosmopolitan city with a relaxed feel

Good food, plenty of variety, including some good western restaurants.

Lots of shops with western comforts available

Nightlife is good, plenty of live music venues.

Only 45 minutes to the border (North Wales)? if you need to escape

Air quality is generally very good, and "Rainy Season" all Year Round

Only negative is the rare terrorist attack. 

Manchester??? 

????

I Wonder.webp

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Troy Tempest said:

Not too small, not too big.

Cosmopolitan city with a relaxed feel

Good food, plenty of variety, including some good western restaurants.

Lots of shops with western comforts available

Nightlife is good, plenty of live music venues.

Only 45 minutes to the border (North Wales)? if you need to escape

Air quality is generally very good, and "Rainy Season" all Year Round

Only negative is the rare terrorist attack. 

Manchester??? 

????

I Wonder.webp 16.49 kB · 0 downloads

Which province is that village in?

On 8/19/2021 at 11:45 AM, CM Dad said:

I have lived in the North for more than 30 years and I find the people quite friendly.  I have no problem finding great Thai food either.  If you have a 13yr old daughter, you must have lived here for a long time.  Why haven't you made an effort to learn to speak Thai?  Perhaps then you would not feel so isolated and filled with regret.  I am very happy here.  I have not been to my home country, the US, since my mother passed away 15 years ago, and I seriously doubt that I will ever go back again.  Happily, I have made a nice life here and have no regrets.  I began learning Thai the day I arrived and have many Thai friends.  I don't find the need to speak English very often.  I try to avoid the Farang bar scene which seems to be filled with complaining, unhappy, old men.

Spot on.

2 hours ago, it is what it is said:

if i was going to live anywhere other than bangkok it would be near the sea, there's so much more variety to life and things to do. inland thai towns and villages do nothing for me.

North has waterfalls, rivers, caves, great views. The beaches are nice but how often do you go?? More for holidays

• Like 1

I have lived all over.

First couple times in Pattaya - of course I was a newbie.

When I decided to settle here I started staying in different places.

Songkhla, Hua Hin, Ban Phe (damn near picked here), Udon Thani.

But most every year I would ride up to Chiang Mai, explore the country.

Found Lanna people warm, easy going. Finally decided this was the area for me.

Live near Doi Saket, mountains start just outside my gate, excellent bike riding all over. Been here almost 10 years and there are many roads not ridden yet.

I go to the beach for a holiday, but can't just sit there day after day.

CNX 25Km from me, all you could want or need right there.

Suits me.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

North has waterfalls, rivers, caves, great views. The beaches are nice but how often do you go?? More for holidays

I lived in Phetchabun for a year, lots of caves, rivers, waterfalls etc but it's static. Living near the coast also offers the hinterland to venture. 
Beaches are dynamic, always changing, never the same. I much prefer the coastline to the country.
Thailand has been my home for 20 years, been to many places, we are so lucky, Thailand has so much to see and do. 
I'm still in my 50's, maybe when I slow down I'll move to the country side. 
To each their own 

• Like 1