Permanent residency approval time

Hello

I submitted by permanent residence application in December and have completed the interview a few months ago. I am wondering when I might hear the outcome. My current employment may not last far into next year and I am not sure how this will impact the issuance process, assuming I am approved. Although I can stay in Thailand under my PR "under consideration" stamp I worry that a change of my work status may blow up the application if I have to show my work permit again to get the residence certificate.

I was told by some that it was usually 18 months from application. My lawyer said perhaps this December, but I have a feeling they were guessing to avoid admitting they didn't know.

Can any members with PR tell me when they received the approval?

Thanks

I applied Dec 2015 and got my blue book in Feb 2017 so ~14 months.  Three or four friends of mine who did it after me had similar or faster turn-around.

I was in a similar situation to you, at least potentially - while I was waiting I was considering quitting my job.  There is a little-spoken of bridging visa you can get while you are waiting for PR.  I believe I first came across it buried somewhere in the Camerata thread.  I asked my contact in the PR team at Immigration Division 1 and she confirmed they could set that up but she also asked me to stay on my Non-Imm B visa / extension if possible - my assumption was this is so they didn't have to do the paperwork.

Since you're already passed the interview and are now in the final waiting stage, you're pretty much home-free.  If you're worried about your current status then the best thing to do is talk to the PR team at Imm Div 1 about it.  Contrary to what you may think - they actually want you to succeed so they will help you find the right solution.  If the bridging visa option is available they will help you to get that.

I would also suggest asking your contact from the PR team periodically (say every couple of months) if there's any update on your case - I did that and on one call found that my blue book was ready to pick up even though they hadn't notified me.

Good luck!!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Haddo said:

mine took 6 years (10 years ago)

1 hour ago, thaiowl said:

I applied in 2007 and got my PR in 2012!

These were the dark times between the 2006 coup and the 2014 coup.  Under the Prayuth government the backlog was cleared and the processing time sped way up to ~1 year.

1 minute ago, mruniverse said:

These were the dark times between the 2006 coup and the 2014 coup.  Under the Prayuth government the backlog was cleared and the processing time sped way up to ~1 year.

Actually the new government elected in 2011 started clearing the backlog of PR applications that not been processed.

He stated he got his in 2012 which was a result of clearing the backlog.

• Like 1

I'm in exactly the same position as the OP, and with the same timeline. My lawyer told me you must have a work permit to pick up the PR, but not necessarily the work permit you applied with. So if you were to lose your job, and then find another, that would be OK, as we're applying under the work category and not a specific employer, which does make some sense.

She also said that she thought the approval will be around March/April of next year.

9 hours ago, jayboy said:

One question I've wondered about, in the context of registering for vaccinations, is whether the PR's 13 digit number in the Tabien Baan and pink card can be accurately described as a Thai ID number.

Yes it is. You might want to show PR book to prove you have it also.

10 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

When my wife tried to register on the mor phrom app, it required the lazer id on the back of the Thai id card.

On 8/19/2021 at 4:02 PM, chilli42 said:

I got mine in 12 months but it’s likely that Covid has slowed things down.  For what it’s worth, nobody asked to see my work permit once all the documents had been submitted.  

Which year was this?

2 minutes ago, DrJoy said:

When my wife tried to register on the mor phrom app, it required the lazer id on the back of the Thai id card.

You did not mention the mor phrom app in your post. I read somewhere they were fixing that so that a pink ID card could be used.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Thanks.The PR books (red book and certificate of residence) don't have the number.At least I can't find it in them. When I got vaccinated I had the blue Tabien Baan from which the number was extracted.

14 minutes ago, jayboy said:

Thanks.The PR books (red book and certificate of residence) don't have the number.At least I can't find it in them. When I got vaccinated I had the blue Tabien Baan from which the number was extracted.

When I wrote my post I was under the impression he was asking about registering in person. But later the Mor Phrom app was mentioned.

If he was to use this site to register for a vaccine he could upload proof of having PR. 

https://expatvac.consular.go.th/