Foreign ministry pullling out all the stops to get vaccine - Thailand belatedly set to join Covax scheme

webfact

What would be interesting is WHY they didn't join this scheme earlier - would be stupid not to do it if all it provides is access and benefits, right? ????

So there must be conditions or implications to it that were of concern to the government.

I wonder what these conditions / parts of the contract were?

Of course we will never find out - and why should we. We witnessed worldwide hysteria incited by media and politicians, governments buying largely untested vaccines and then pushing them onto...eeh...into their citizens, some governments even using very ruthless and coercive means. I wonder why the Thai govt was hesitant to join the club at first. But now all roads seem to be open for 'us' to experience the same developments we're seeing in all the other countries relying on vaccination.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, khunjeff said:

More accurately, joining the scheme was something done by ALL of the other countries in ASEAN.

Yeah. Singapore joined as well from the onset and will donate their allocated share from the scheme to needy countries. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, pepi2005 said:

What would be interesting is WHY they didn't join this scheme earlier - would be stupid not to do it if all it provides is access and benefits, right? ????

So there must be conditions or implications to it that were of concern to the government.

Of course we will never find out - and why should we. We witnessed worldwide hysteria incited by media and politicians, governments buying largely untested vaccines and then pushing them onto...eeh...into their citizens, some governments even using very ruthless and coercive means. I wonder why the Thai govt was hesitant to join the club at first. But now all roads seem to be open for 'us' to experience the same developments we're seeing in all the other countries relying on vaccination.

There might be a clue in the OP... "Thailand is also finally preparing to join the Covax scheme and payments have been made to the WHO to facilitate this. "

10 minutes ago, Nip said:

The word for ginger in Thai is #ing. 

Yep, and the place where ginger is nowadays move somewhere around the German and Austrian alps. ???? In combination with a harem, I have heard, but it might be just hearsay.

Edited by Gottfrid

6 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

A-*-*-*-*-N (Solve the puzzle)

I

N

T

U

I disagree it is all his fault, the czar came out earlier this year and said he was now masterminding the situation.

The Thai government isn't the only government that's looking foolish. The Australian government put all its eggs in the AZ basket, insisted that getting the population vaccinated wasn't 'a race' and now have egg on their face. 

Amazing how politicians will put their own interests (and those of their donors/benefactors) before the needs of the population. 

Edited by dundas
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Karma80 said:

Make representations in every country = go begging because we didn't order any from the manufacturers in time, because we thought we could make money by doing it ourselves.

Like everything connected to COVID-19.

Horrible governance.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SeaMike01 said:

Everyone says that they know who to blame for this mess, but the Thai people (other than a few scattered students) have decided not to do anything about it. So... that's it then. 

You would be the first to walk in front of a tank....correct ?

2 hours ago, pepi2005 said:

Or you could just turn to Occam's razor and note the perception of influence and cash !

Heres the problem, I have read 3 or 4 weeks ago that they had already joined this Covax scheme with the Who. So what's true here did they not do it before and are doing it now as this article says, or is this rehashing old news ?

It's confusing right. I must have read 10 articles about the 20 million phizer vaccines. Still don't know if they have been ordered, will be ordered or will have a meeting about ordering them. Govt is bad but media coverage hasn't helped what to believe.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, petermik said:

Absolutely his holiness himself stated back in late January,early Feb "we are not joining the WHO Covax scheme as we believe we can obtain vaccines quicker and cheaper by ourselves" pity the press and opposition parties do not continually remind him of this.....

Don't forget "we won't be able to choose what vaccine we get"!

Imagine if they ended up getting poor quality vaccine rather than the Sinovac they've been using! /s

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, RubbaJohnny said:

Some even suggest too greedy, imagine a few chewchow  hounds and master hop to get a new monopoly on a regualr expensive necessity, lucky noblesse oblige and rich important people are standing back so the poor and old the halt and lame of any nationality esp their servants get protected before fit rich folks.It is as Jesus and the Lord Buddha taught.

Sir Philip Sydney was described as the greatest Englishman, fatally wounded at the battle of Zutphen he donated his water to a poor footsoldier with the immortal words

"HIS NEED IS GREATER THAN MINE".

.Same courage as Bunker Hill, Stalingrad or Gallipoli this is what distinguishes our humanity form vultures. Interesting what statues are erected says a lot of about the grip of history.

But now the left want to pull the statues down.

The PM & Anutin thought they were so clever back in January by not joining Covax Scheme, and didn't need Farang Countries, well.. Well.... Well  eat your words,, 

Now are they working so hard asking Countries around for donations of vaccine.... Or are they willing to purchase the vaccine... 

• Thanks 1