2/3 of COVID-19 Fatalities in Thailand Were Unvaccinated

Jonathan Fairfield

So roughly 1/3 of the people who died were vaccinated.

And roughly 1/3 of the population vaccinated.

Not sure what these statistics are trying to tell us….

The article is written to give the perspective that the vaccinations are helping a lot.

But the statistics seem to be painting a different picture.

Edited by SlyAnimal
Rephrased something
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

52 minutes ago, SlyAnimal said:

So roughly 1/3 of the people who died were vaccinated.

No, they weren't, not if by "vaccinated" you mean fully vaccinated, i.e. people who had had their 2nd dose of vaccine more than two weeks before getting sick.

Those who died and were fully vaccinated (with their 2nd dose of AZ at least a couple of weeks beforehand) represented only 0.6% of the fatalities.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

So 36% had some type of vaccine, that seems quite high.

Interesting I thought AZ protected against death after one dose?  Could this bring up questions about the Thailand produced AZ?  And, what about Sinovac I assume the other deaths were vaxed with it?

Lousy information and details for sure.

I haven't seen anything saying a single dose of AZ is highly protective against the Delta variant - in fact everything I've seen says pretty much the opposite.

As the BMJ paper linked to below says, it takes two doses of either AZ or Pfizer to get good protection against Delta, whereas:

a single dose of either vaccine was only around 30% effective against the variant.

Covid-19: Two vaccine doses are crucial for protection against delta, study finds

So what? As there still are a lot less than half of the population vaxxed of course there would be most of the cases with the unvaxxed pop. Duh! Would be great to see some relevant info here for a change. I only see Covid Covid Covid anyway. Aren't there other things going on in the kingdom? Thanks.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

I haven't seen anything saying a single dose of AZ is highly protective against the Delta variant - in fact everything I've seen says pretty much the opposite.

As the BMJ paper linked to below says, it takes two doses of either AZ or Pfizer to get good protection against Delta, whereas:

Covid-19: Two vaccine doses are crucial for protection against delta, study finds

It is, the figures referred to is for effectiveness from infection not from serious illness or death, those are much higher with AZ.

Astrazeneca

"Real-world data from Canada showed 82% and 87% effectiveness after one dose against hospitalisation or death caused by Beta/Gamma and Delta variants respectively"

Study here: https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.06.28.21259420v2

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Virt said:

I had 5 anti gen tests after my pfizer shots for trying to see when it started to show positive. 

Day 1, 4 and 7 didn't turn out positive. On day 14 it slowly started to indicate a positive test. Then I did a test 8 days after 2nd shot and it turned positive immidiatly, so it took between 7-14 days before I had traceable anti bodies. 

I will keep using them tests to see when they start to fade. 

Next week I will get a blood sample that tells me the level of anti bodies and how my body reacted to the vaccine, so that will be interesting for me to see. 

What a great idea you just gave me, i.e. as I get my 1st Pfizer jab tomorrow, I will go and get some blood drawn from around the corner to check my antigen levels and then do it again on day 14 so as to see if the level has increased before the 2nd dose which will be 3 weeks after the 1st dose, and then I will do it again 14 days after the 2nd dose to see where my antigen levels are at. 

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

People appear to think there is a conspiracy going on and sinovacc has been left out of the figures.

Most deaths are people over 60, and people over 60 got the AZ vaccine. Sinovac vaccinations doesnt come into it.

So by default sinovac wont be in the stats.

Ah some sense at last.

• Sad 1

Im over 60 and was included in the first wave of vaccines in early July, that was for over 60s and exclusively AZ vaccine. It was widely publicised at the time.

Even going forward, the default vaccine for anyone over 60 in Thailand is the AZ vaccine.

Enquire with anyone you know over 60, if they have been vaccinated its exclusively the AZ vaccine.

I have an Aussie mate who is 85. He, his wife and her mother were given Sinovac which was all the amphur hospital had 3 weeks ago. My 56 year old wife was given Sinovac 10 days ago. She registered us both at the same time at the clinic but fortunately I wasn't invited to the party.

Rubbish, nobody over 60 has been getting the sinovacc first shot. I was part of the initial over 60s vaccinations, it was AZ, and only AZ.

Not correct. See my reply to your post above.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Virt said:

I had 5 anti gen tests after my pfizer shots for trying to see when it started to show positive.

An antigen test checks for the presence of the virus - if you're infected with COVID it will show a positive result.

Are you talking about an antibody test which is a blood test, not a swab?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, ukrules said:

An antigen test checks for the presence of the virus - if you're infected with COVID it will show a positive result.

Are you talking about an antibody test which is a blood test, not a swab?

Yeah i mixed those two words.

It has been blood tests for antibodies.

Thx.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

This was posted yesterday.

the conclusion was that about a third of Covid deaths were among the vaccinated with just one shot. Since the singly vaccinated in Thailand are not close to one third of the population, the implication is that singly vaccinated people somehow have an elevated risk of dying from Covid.

Perhaps they do. Perhaps people think one shot already provides a certain degree of protection and as such tend to take more risk than necessary. However one shot is practically nothing, especially with the delta variant. Immunity doesn't build up until after the second shot and then takes about 3 weeks to reach maximum. And then there are certain groups of people with impaired immune systems who need 3 shots.

"Vaccinated people" should be synonymous to "fully vaccinated people" in every article and in every discussion. I'm sure death rates among fully vaccinated people is close to 0. Not 0 but close. There are break-through cases but those are very rare.

Of course this will be a different story when a country has been vaccinating its citizens close to a year. All current covid vaccines wear off relatively quickly. After 3 months Pfizer's 96% protection already drops to the lower 70s. Booster shots will be a requirement to keep the general population protected from covid. This of course is not very important for Thailand yet. The vaccination program hasn't reached a high enough momentum yet to start worrying about boosters shots here. I just hope there will be enough AstraZeneca as a second shot because Sinovac alone won't do the job.

• Like 1

I think i have cracked the mistake. 7% + 2.4% +0,6% = 10%. Only 10% of deaths were vaccinated people. Of the other 90%, 63.8% were unvaccinated and the rest Burmese so we didn't bother to ask ..........

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, ukrules said:

A lot of people are actively taking measures to avoid becoming infected here, in the US based on what I've seen a lot of them don't appear to be bothering.

Yes, the more I read the more I am disappointed in my fellow Americans.

Too many stories of people saying, on their death beds, "Can I have it now?"

I was intubated for heart surgery. Awakening to that, and the removal, were awful almost beyond description.

Sure wish people could accept the preponderance of evidence s and in the US case get what is relatively plentiful and free.

• Like 2

Amazing 36 percent of the those that died where single or double vaxed, so that would tend to indicate the vaxed are dying at a higher percentage rate then the unvaxed, as I don't believe 36 percent of the total population have had one or both jabs, sounds like the vaccine is turning into a big fail.

• Like 1

No, they weren't, not if by "vaccinated" you mean fully vaccinated, i.e. people who had had their 2nd dose of vaccine more than two weeks before getting sick.

Those who died and were fully vaccinated (with their 2nd dose of AZ at least a couple of weeks beforehand) represented only 0.6% of the fatalities.

"there were 4,656 COVID-19 fatalities nationwide between 25 July - 19 August. 63.8% of deaths had not been vaccinated."

No this is the statistic I was referring to (Or rather, the inverse of it, so 36.2% of deaths were people who were vaccinated).

Although all of the statistics in this article are very misleading in general, but in a semi-obvious way which I assume was intentional, so that they could criticize Sinovac without directly criticizing it (As legal action has been taken against some people who have criticized Sinovac).

Since 36.2% of the deaths were in vaccinated people.  Which given that only around 1/3 of Thailand is vaccinated, points towards the vaccinations doing pretty much nothing against the delta.  And most people who have been vaccinated, have been vaccinated with Sinovac.

However, they've then gone to lengths to try and make the amount of people who died after 2x AZ vaccinations look like only a very small amount of the total deaths (Although without knowing the percentage of the population who have 2x shots of AZ, it's a bit like saying 0% of people with Moderna died.  Since of course it's 0% because no one (or very very few) actually have Moderna so far).

Edited by SlyAnimal
  • Confused 1

18 minutes ago, SlyAnimal said:

Which given that only around 1/3 of Thailand is vaccinated, points towards the vaccinations doing pretty much nothing against the delta.

Completed Vaccinations / % of Population
6,251,916 / 8.96%

Around 9% are fully vaccinated not 1/3.

• Like 1

This just in.....The world is flat!   Wake up , after reading some of these comments , makes me believe that people are suffering from Stockholm syndrome.  They got you were they want and many love it.  What would do if this BS ended tomorrow?   What would be of your life?  Now you need 3 shots , later it would be 4,5,6.... oh my oh my.  What would your life be like , those suffering of Stockholm syndrome?  I just heard that if you place a plastic bag over your head and tape it around your neck you would be safe.  

Edited by aviator581
  • Like 1