Outcry over reported removal of Suchat Sawatsri as a Thai national artist

Jonathan Fairfield

An excellent move IMO. Further revealing to the world that this regime has no respect for people, reality, or anything else except for weak ass attempts at self promotion.

I certainly would be most offended if the regime gave me any kind of award for good behaviour.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

But what would be more 'Thai' than that very act ?? 

I can't help but point out that when any national government gets involved in the art's, government interference inevitably follows.  When the US had the "National Endowment for the Arts",  members of Congress would often grandstand with statements of outrage about some work of art that pushed the boundaries; as art is supposed to do.

As it has always been and will always be: Governments and the art's do not play together well. 

Edited by dddave
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Denim said:

Nice pointing.  Man's clearly got talent. Pointing is such an important part of the local culture it is clearly wrong to penalize him just for his own personal political views.

This must have been what Suthep and all his moronic supporters had in mind when they were bleating on about ' reforms ' ( pathiroop )

Well, the people have now had a surfeit of ' happiness ' and suchlike reforms thank you Mr Prayuth ,  so kindly exit stage left and take Rolex and the rest of your now bloated cronies with you.

Very quiet Suthep these days! A total loser as the Donald would say. 

11 hours ago, Pedrogaz said:

Funny what people can get outraged about during a pandemic.

This is not a matter of boredom during an Pandemic, but about procedure.

since artists are typically appointed on merit and peer review, as well as number and quality of exhibitions or publications, it is, in most countries that I know of, rather unusual that a Government strips such sign of recognition.

Even if one does not like certain works of art, it still is art, and should be shown to educate the spectators.

Edited by KKr
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

There was also a very dark time in the history of Germany, where the Nazis determined what art and literature is. How that ended is well known.

Nazis luckily also favoured 'classical physics' rather than the modern 'Jewish Physics' of the likes of Albert Einstein... that stance made the development of nuclear weapons a bit more difficult (Deutsche Physik aka Aryan Physics).

• Thanks 1