Covid in Thailand vs world.

amdy2206

I see Thailand has moved up to 34th around the world for covid infections - totally due to the ineptitude of the current government! Is this another 'first' they want and to beat all others?

Every day they are moving up the table. I really hope common sense and some sensible leadership will enable these figures to stabalise.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

20 hours ago, amdy2206 said:

I see Thailand has moved up to 34th around the world for covid infections

I look at the weekly trends on Worldometers as it gives a better representation of what the current state is. Currently Thailand is 10th in the world for both infections and deaths in the last 7 days.

Most countries are struggling, not only Thailand. I just hope the world as a whole is not over-reacting. For example, Australia seems to be under martial law and, for reasons which are beyond me, has started shooting rescue dogs as part of it's disease control policy. Incredible.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, internationalism said:

the only important data is deaths per million.

world average is 670, thailand 137, peru 5906 (so 43x as much as thailand)

Yes, it's rising fast in thailand, but until it reaches world average we should consider ourselves lucky.

myanmar has 262, malaysia 431, but cambodia only 106, Laos 1 (those 2 are under reporting)

Where are you findings these numbers, please?

On 8/22/2021 at 8:28 PM, amdy2206 said:

I see Thailand has moved up to 34th around the world for covid infections ... Every day they are moving up the table. 

I've also been watching Thailand's rapid move up the world table:  now 33rd place as of August 23.  Given that Thailand is the 20th largest country by population, I expect it to move up many more places yet (even with the under-reporting of cases!).

On 8/22/2021 at 3:28 PM, amdy2206 said:

I see Thailand has moved up to 34th around the world for covid infections - totally due to the ineptitude of the current government!

So 33 of the World's governments are more ineptitude than the Thai government, since this nation only ranks as number 34...????

Thailand has actually moved up to number 33 today, but some countries haven't reported their daily figurs yet, so it can go both ways. The count is based on total number of registered cases, which says nothing. The count in total rank should rather be death per million population, and that number is 137 for Thailand today.

Which ineptitude governments do you wish to compare with?
Average for the whole World is 570 death per million.

Lets see some other selected countries with ineptitude governments based on deaths per million population...

Norway 148

Denmark 441

Germany 1,100

Russia 1,211

Luxemburg 1,302

Sweden 1,438

France 1,732

UK 1,928

USA 1.936

Italy 2,134

Belgium 2,174

Hungary 3,120

[ ,,, ]

Peru 5,908

If you shall look at registered cases, daily new cases gives a better - but far from correct - view of the situation, but adjusted to cases per million population for making comparison possible. Today Thailand has reported 17,491 new cases among 70 million people, which will be 250 new registered cases per million.

Now lets compare to one of the best vaccinated population in a larger country, i.e. Israel. They have reported 3,550 new cases in a population of 9.3 million; i.e. 381 new cases per million - worth to think about...????

And what about UK with 31,914 new cases in 68.2 million, i.e. 467 new cases per million.

Thailand is actually still performing pretty good - perhaps we shall discuss the ability of leaders and governments in all those countries performing worse than Thailand...????

Edited by khunPer

15 minutes ago, khunPer said:

So 33 of the World's governments are more ineptitude than the Thai government, since this nation only ranks as number 34...????

Thailand has actually moved up to number 33 today, but some countries haven't reported their daily figurs yet, so it can go both ways. The count is based on total number of registered cases, which says nothing. The count in total rank should rather be death per million population, and that number is 137 for Thailand today.

Which ineptitude governments do you wish to compare with?
Average for the whole World is 570 death per million.

Lets see some other selected countries with ineptitude governments based on deaths per million population...

Norway 148

Denmark 441

Germany 1,100

Russia 1,211

Luxemburg 1,302

Sweden 1,438

France 1,732

UK 1,928

USA 1.936

Italy 2,134

Belgium 2,174

Hungary 3,120

[ ,,, ]

Peru 5,908

If you shall look at registered cases, daily new cases gives a better - but far from correct - view of the situation, but adjusted to cases per million population for making comparison possible. Today Thailand has reported 17,491 new cases among 70 million people, which will be 250 new registered cases per million.

Now lets compare to one of the best vaccinated population in a larger country, i.e. Israel. They have reported 3,550 new cases in a population of 9.3 million; i.e. 381 new cases per million - worth to think about...????

And what about UK with 31,914 new cases in 68.2 million, i.e. 467 new cases per million.

Thailand is actually still performing pretty good - perhaps we shall discuss the ability of leaders and governments in all those countries performing worse than Thailand...????

Thailand needs to increase testing rate as it lags far behind rates of many, performing a fraction of daily covid testing  (relative to population) compared to the UK (13 x Thailand testing rate), Israel (>17 X Thai testing rate) and so many others. Only then can one get a sense of the situation.

There are a lot of things around , it is not that easy to say .

A some countries count very easy , while other don't like counting the deaths . This can be found out by the regular expected deaths vs the real numbers but they are way slower .

B some countries test a lot , others test much less

C some countries got older populations or in general have a higher BMI ( a valid risk ) .

D some countries have different climate , hot places in general live more outside then inside reducing risk

E some countries have different cultures , people can have a more reserved nature while others like to stay much closer together .

Drawing lines between all these things is far from easy , and needs loads of research in order to get a more correct view on how/what/where/why ...

Stupid example , why was there nearly nothing for over 1y in large parts of Asia , while suddenly there is a large outbreak ( Thailand is of of them , but is far from the only country in the region in same situation ) . Other examples are plenty , like in Italy 1st wave , heavy hit area , middle of the heavy hit area , 1 village had nothing , all surrounding villages were hit very hard . Many things are known by now , many other questions remain .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, catturd said:

Thailand needs to increase testing rate as it lags far behind rates of many, performing a fraction of daily covid testing  (relative to population) compared to the UK (13 x Thailand testing rate), Israel (>17 X Thai testing rate) and so many others. Only then can one get a sense of the situation.

Not really, people that are not sick can still test asymptomatic positive, and what does that help?

Both UK and Israel, which you mention, are performing worse than Thailand in number of new  registered Covid cases, which might be due to higher number of tests, but both countries also have a high rate of vaccinations. Israel has vaccinated more than 60 percent of it's population, and I presume that UK is more than 50 percent now. In spite of tests and vaccination percentage they both have worse numbers of total deaths; Israel's death-figure was not mentioned in my previous comment, they have 735 deaths per million as per today, more than 5 times ad many as Thailand.

It's the total number of deaths per million that shows how well a country has been handling the pandemic.

Denmark has tested what equals to the whole population more than 10 times - no other country are even close - and still about 20 percent of the population have never been tested. But have that huge number of tests helped? Look at the stats in my previous comment, the one you quoted, Denmark has more than 3 times as many deaths per million compared to Thailand. But Denmark is doing better now with only 133 new registered cases per million today; Thailand reported 250 per million.

Thailand need to increase vaccinations, because vaccinations seems to be the solution, based on countries with a high vaccination rate, for example Northern Europe. In those countries the sick people are those that have not been vaccinated, they represent more than 80 percent of the sick people right now. Therefore little more than 50 percent of the sick is now the younger group of the population under 40-50 years, as the vaccinations began with elder and vulnerable people. In the beginning it was mainly elder people that became sick.

Furthermore the third booster-jab seems to be necessary, some countries have already begun. Israel, which was one of the pioneers in mass vaccination, has noticed that the vaccine - and they used Pfizer-BioNTech - loose efficiency by time. Thailand is also planning a third jab, frontline health workers already got it....????