Bangkok and Phuket among Tripadvisor’s Best of the Best 2021 destinations

snoop1130

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Bangkok, 23 August, 2021 – Bangkok and Phuket have been named among the world’s most popular destinations in Tripadvisor’s Travellers’ Choice Best of the Best 2021 awards.

I spat my coffee out.

1 minute ago, jacko45k said:

I would expect Folkestone in the UK to be top of the list with one way day trippers from Calais, but now maybe Brize Norton coming in a close second.

Skeggy or Norwich was always a safe bet.

• Haha 1

“Golden palaces, floating markets, majestic porcelain-laid spires…you’ve never seen a capital city quite like Bangkok.”

They forgot to mention the well-place man hole covers that will swallow you whole while walking around the city, if you’re not careful. Oh, and the double-pricing, gauging and the arrogance and racism by some (not all) Thais towards westerners is also a delight. Also,  the crooked police / government officials and their brown envelopes!!

Don’t get me wrong, while I did enjoy my year-and-a-half living in Thailand, there were just a few things I found surprising - even comical. 

If I were still in my whore-mongering years or only visiting as a tourist, some of those things would have probably been much easier to overlook. 

Edited by DBath

Featured in the Things to Do section of Tripadvisor’s website, the ‘Phuket Thai Cooking Class’ 3-hour tour in which tourists learn to prepare authentic Thai cuisine was voted into the ‘Top Overall Experiences – World’ category; while the full-day ‘Private Excursion to Floating Market and Ayutthaya World Heritage Site’ tour made it into the ‘Top Luxury Tours – World’ category.

So, Phuket: cooking class

Bangkok: day trip out to floating market and Ayutthaya

Availability: doubtful.

image.png.21d73732ca295ec41b43d881c9c69b4c.png

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheAppletons said:

used to accept bribes for posting fake reviews

With respect, not that I was aware of. Trip Advisor relies on comments from independent travelers/tourists and is not directly involved with businesses, places etc. Some of the independent contributors may have been bribed but could be identified. For example, 1 person stating a restaurant is outstanding and worth a visit whereas 40 others stating it is rubbish and definitely "do not visit".  I was a regular contributor, pre-covid, over several years whilst living in Thailand. I used to report on my travels to Burma (pre-coup), Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam from Thailand where I was living and I can assure you of my honesty and integrity in my reporting the truth. I lived in the north of Thailand so Bangkok (which I hated) and the southern seaside resorts were never on my "to report" list. Where praise was genuinely due, I promoted the northern Thai resorts among the lakes, rivers, mountains and forests.  

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information