Lockdown set to be relaxed next week: DDC

Jonathan Fairfield

13 hours ago, ukrules said:

It's not going away, any reduction in measures will be met with a proportional increase in infections.

But it's almost like they're beginning to realise that something's changed since last year - this is not the same scenario that happened in Europe in 2020.

There's nowhere near as many deaths here when you compare them to detected infections.

There's been a million detected infections in Thailand with 9562 deaths.

In the UK when they reached 1 million detected infections (October 31, 2020) there had been 46,645 deaths

In Italy at 1 million infections (November 11, 2020) there had been 42,953 deaths.

That's quite a difference, likely many contributing factors to this, especially population age and of course it's not the same virus that it was a year ago...it's mutated multiple times since then so I guess it's kind of hard to compare as it's not comparing like with like.

I'd be very careful about comparing international figures, because they are gathered in different ways.  The UK and Italy in particular have been using a very broad measure to calculate their 'covid deaths' (notice that they never say 'deaths caused by covid' - a subtle but important difference).  Thus, at one point the case fatality rate, if you went by the UK's 'covid deaths' figures, was 13%, while all the Doctors/virologists etc were anticipating approx 1% fatality rate. 

In the UK it really has been the case that if you died of a heart attack, within 28 days of receiving a positive covid test result, you were included in the 'Covid Deaths' figures.  The ONS and PHE have been very clear that this is what they've done, but most people  erroneously conflated 'death by covid' with 'death involving covid'. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, ronster said:

This sounds like a plan to quell the protestors and appease citizens for a fortnight before they smack it right back to where it was in lockdown again !

All the while failing to mention their inadequate vaccine distribution !

No other way  But Thai medical bunch making procurement of dead virus (not AZ) innoculation trials    Oh! death where is thy sting,..Grave where is thy victory?

• Haha 2

As soon as stats are taken from hospitalizations and not tests like was being done 14 months ago before peer pressure made the positive tests the stats everything will be fine.

Oz's SCOMO is saying the same thing...watch the domino's fall as all countries come into line 

13 hours ago, djayz said:

Yes, I know that a lot of people and businesses are hurting, but what if infection rates start climbing again? What do we do then?

We let .5% of those infected die and the rest of us get on with our lives.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Dr Opas: Some areas of the country could reopen soon - August 31st decision expected

screenshot_14826.jpg

Picture: Channel 7

Thailand's Covid-19 authorities are expected to decide as early as next week whether to ease lockdown measures.

But Dr Opas Kankawinpong cautioned that it would not be the whole country, just some areas that would benefit.

He cited the model of the Phuket Sandbox that has been used to open the country to vaccinated foreign tourists. 

Whether changes to the current rules would be made rested with the continued vaccination of the population, testing regimes and the public playing their part.

Dr Opas noted an apparent improvement in the Covid-19 numbers in recent days saying that lockdown measures, test kits and home quarantine were all playing a vital part in helping the situation.

The CCSA are expected to discuss what lockdown measures could be eased and where in their meeting next Tuesday, August 31st, reported Channel 7

Discover Cigna’s range of health insurance solutions created for expats and local nationals living in Thailand - click to view

asean_now_BB.jpg
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

A guess on the first 'relaxation measures'....

-open public parks

-open IT stores in malls

-open hair salons with every-hour-cleansing requirement (which none will do)

-change curfew from 2100-0400 to 2200-0400 (I think similar to last year April)

-allow restaurants to deliver until 2100

Next round:

-allow sit-in dining, but no alcohol with meal (unless in a coffee cup)

-open 'foot massage' (which means EVERY massage parlor in Thailand re-opens, and few feet get any treatment)

-open other mall shops for limited hours and 'strict' customer limits (which will be ignored)

-open swimming pools

In other words, we'll go back to June and see what happens

I suspect it will be a while before gyms re-open and restaurants can serve alcohol. It will be a loooooong time before bars re-open.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Dr Opas said the decline in cases was due to people co-operating with the restrictions put in place and the accelerated rollout of the vaccine throughout the country.

Yesterday in Prakhon Chai they have dug up a massive cluster of about 50 positives, among the gathering of about 500 mourners of a decease police officer (RIP).

If they applied the rule they have applied in Phuket to an innocent Farang birthday party, where the 6 adults got fined THB 6000 a head, they could collect THB 3000000, but strongly doubt it.

Here in the sticks people keep living as if there was no pandemic, but my estimate fo the average local IQ is in the 80 to 90 range. So no wonder.

Edited by Boomer6969
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

As far as I can make out, the vaccine rollout has so far accelerated about as fast as a tortoise riding an overloaded grocer's bicycle.

My mate in Pattaya has been notified twice by 2 different hospitals to get vaccinated….his gf now also( 1200b dose).  Key to all that comment here (albeit most negative comments) is the vaccines being now given out.  Perhaps as fast as a overloaded thai motorbike….but they will arrive. 

7 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

Next round:

-allow sit-in dining, but no alcohol with meal (unless in a coffee cup)

-open 'foot massage' (which means EVERY massage parlor in Thailand re-opens, and few feet get any treatment)

-open other mall shops for limited hours and 'strict' customer limits (which will be ignored)

-open swimming pools

Which means even more Happy Endings

Edited by fredscats
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Caldera said:

It may have peaked. We cannot be sure, but we'll relax the rules anyway...

Good idea - relax the rules and within a week u will be back on 20.000 ++ new infections.
Now is the time too play it cool and keep up the restrictions for another few weeks - just to be safe.
Whenever they relax the rules there will be a kick back - is it so hard to look at Europe and learn.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, Boomer6969 said:

Yesterday in Prakhon Chai they have dug up a massive cluster of about 50 positives, among the gathering of about 500 mourners of a decease police officer (RIP).

If they applied the rule they have applied in Phukate to an innocent Farang birthday party, where people got fined THB 6000 a head they could collect THB 3000000, but strongly doubt it.

Here in the sticks people keep living as if there was no pandemic, but my estimate fo the average local IQ is in th 80 to 90 range. So no wonder.

Are the sticks “dark red zones”?  Covid wont go away. Period.  Get vaccinated and it will be just like the old days…..getting the flu

• Confused 2

2 minutes ago, leiftheswede said:

Good idea - relax the rules and within a week u will be back on 20.000 ++ new infections.
Now is the time too play it cool and keep up the restrictions for another few weeks - just to be safe.
Whenever they relax the rules there will be a kick back - is it so hard to look at Europe and learn.

Yes. They should follow the lead of the Swedes.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

It’s happy and scary time . O one hand happy to hear restrictions will be eased , on the other hand 17000 a day is hardly a reason to ease anything .

before numbers were 10000, more restrictions were introduced in fear of hitting 10000., but now at 17000 restrictions be eased.

and I still find it fascinating that after Prayut made a statement , numbers started to decline on daily basis and recoveries remained high and about the same.

is it possible government is now playing Russian roulette as they out of money and out of ideas or was it not as bad as initially they made it out to be .

I will say though , Thailand is lucky not to have Australian politicians who locked down the country over 400 cases and vowed to keep it locked down until 70% are vaccinated 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Why Me said:

Nice! Thailand is following India's delta curve. Crazy high followed by steep drop. India had 25k cases yesterday with more than 15 times the population. If the pattern holds we should be heading into the low 1000s in a month.

Can't be to do with the vax/lockdown patterns then which are totally different in the two countries. Looks like delta tends to weaken (by mutation?) as it spreads.

By 'cases' you presumably mean positive PCR tests. 

So: what percentage of people are being tested in India? I'm ready to bet that it's much less than in Thailand. 

AND: a positive PCR test is not indicative of a "case" unless there are symptoms, despite the fact that WHO changed that definition at the beginning of this panicemie.

India has largely gone over to using Ivermectin as a prophylactic treatment and having great success.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BestB said:

is it possible government is now playing Russian roulette as they out of money and out of ideas or was it not as bad as initially they made it out to be .

I will say though , Thailand is lucky not to have Australian politicians who locked down the country over 400 cases and vowed to keep it locked down until 70% are vaccinated 

For every action ,there is re-action    never thought Thais in general would go along en mass with lockdowns,but they have,they are frightend,...Aussies and kiwis will be reacting in a big way soon enough,had far too much of big brother,the cops will never hold back the growing resentment that is becoming more expected

Edited by fredscats
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Boomer6969 said:

Here in the sticks people keep living as if there was no pandemic, but my estimate fo the average local IQ is in the 80 to 90 range. So no wonder.

There was a study done years ago (early 00's) that found that the national average was 88, and there were up to 15% of people categorised as 'medically retarded' (their words not mine) from the poorest provinces out in the sticks.

From experience I would say that is about right.

Don't expect much to improve with social media and mobile devices. I rarely see people reading books these days.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1