You are not logged in ▶️ Click to sign-up or login ×
ASEANNOW Official TikTok account is now LIVE! -Follow Us! ×

Lockdown set to be relaxed next week: DDC

Jonathan Fairfield

8 hours ago, champers said:

I was vaccinated today at Central on Beach Rd. It took an hour; including 30 minutes recovery post jab; and during that that hour there must have been at least 100 other expats in the process.

The indoor stadium in Pattaya has been reported to be very busy with Thais getting jabbed. There has been yraffic jams getting in and out.

The process is moving along and more vaccines are due next month and in October.

Hmmm.  Interesting that none of the vloggers on utube show any of that.  That would be good to show somewhere

I'm up here in Northern Sakon Nakon.

People wear masks.

Thats about it.  Theres alcohol for sale, large gatherings everyday, etc.

I think people are just going to do what they need to do.

Lockdown or not.

Since the lockdowns Seka, the closest"city"  to me is pretty darned lively!

Does anyone know if Soi Cowboy will open on October 1st? I'm going to BANGKOK to get some farm machinery repaired and will have 48 hours to kill.

Sincerely 

MORRIS 

Double vaccinated, Pfizer 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

18 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Some good news (if true). Let's hope schools are included.

I do hope so...but I fear schools will be the last to open. Teachers, students and parents are all sick to the back teeth with this online learning nonsense. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

I have a fair amount of experience with Thai labour protection laws, I employ close to 3800 Thais at the moment. 

How many do you employ? 

Thai labour laws are far better at protecting and more importantly, compensating employees that lose their jobs, even those that are dismissed than equivalent laws in the West, most of which are controlled through ombudsmen or other methods which render them even more malleable than in Thailand. 

FYI, business owners have been compensated a number of times and been given financial support for wages and operating costs while being made to close during the COVID-19 crisis, so you are wrong again there.

Oh i am an amature in comparison to you, only 20 years running a business and only 4 employees

But please keep spouting utter nonsense, including how business owners have been compensated, which clearly explains why 100 or so business owners suing the government for 200 million and all others protesting and demanding government helps business owners.

You would not not be Reece any any chance? you sure sound like him

48 minutes ago, KhunMorris said:

Does anyone know if Soi Cowboy will open on October 1st? I'm going to BANGKOK to get some farm machinery repaired and will have 48 hours to kill.

Sincerely 

MORRIS 

Double vaccinated, Pfizer 

Out of luck, just missed it by a day, Cowboy is open on the 4th. ????

• Haha 1

'It's not going away, any reduction in measures will be met with a proportional increase in infections.

But it's almost like they're beginning to realise that something's changed since last year - this is not the same scenario that happened in Europe in 2020.

There's nowhere near as many deaths here when you compare them to detected infections.

There's been a million detected infections in Thailand with 9562 deaths.

In the UK when they reached 1 million detected infections (October 31, 2020) there had been 46,645 deaths

In Italy at 1 million infections (November 11, 2020) there had been 42,953 deaths.

That's quite a difference, likely many contributing factors to this, especially population age and of course it's not the same virus that it was a year ago...it's mutated multiple times since then so I guess it's kind of hard to compare as it's not comparing like with like.'

It is hard to compare, as you say, a lot depends on how deaths are recorded for instance. In the UK everyone who died and was posotive to covid was recorded as died from covid, I don't know why they did that but the figure was a false one.

Interesting point about the virus mutating to survive. I read something about that nearly a year ago. As you say, as antobodies are produced the virus mutates so that can spread more easily but generally ends up getting weaker, I think that's what's happening.

It's not done yet though, in the UK we are eexpecting the numbers to go up again in the autumn/winter, it will be interesting to see the death rate then with the majority either vaccinated or been infected before.

• Thanks 2

17 hours ago, djayz said:

That's not the Thai way.!

Not the British way either; resulting in 131,000 deaths! Actually with the 1st wave, unlike the UK government's truly pathological response , Thailand were very quick to learn from other countries and control the virus, but yes Thailand, thinking they had defeated the virus, were painfully slow to follow through and learn from other countries to prioritise vaccination.

Edited by SunsetT
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, ukrules said:

It's not going away, any reduction in measures will be met with a proportional increase in infections.

But it's almost like they're beginning to realise that something's changed since last year - this is not the same scenario that happened in Europe in 2020.

There's nowhere near as many deaths here when you compare them to detected infections.

In the UK when they reached 1 million detected infections (October 31, 2020) there had been 46,645 deaths

In Italy at 1 million infections (November 11, 2020) there had been 42,953 deaths.

That's quite a difference, likely many contributing factors to this, especially population age and of course it's not the same virus that it was a year ago...it's mutated multiple times since then so I guess it's kind of hard to compare as it's not comparing like with like.

I would like to agree with you (really), but do you not think that perhaps the reporting in the UK was ever so slightly more accurate than that in Thailand?  The amount of testing in UK has increased all the way through. Is it the same in Thailand?

Having had my shots and watching Thailand from UK, I would so like to be planning a winter trip and yet..........

Edited by VBF

11 minutes ago, allyoops said:

'It's not going away, any reduction in measures will be met with a proportional increase in infections.

That's quite a difference, likely many contributing factors to this, especially population age and of course it's not the same virus that it was a year ago...it's mutated multiple times since then so I guess it's kind of hard to compare as it's not comparing like with like.'

It is hard to compare, as you say, a lot depends on how deaths are recorded for instance. In the UK everyone who died and was posotive to covid was recorded as died from covid, I don't know why they did that but the figure was a false one.

Interesting point about the virus mutating to survive. I read something about that nearly a year ago. As you say, as antobodies are produced the virus mutates so that can spread more easily but generally ends up getting weaker, I think that's what's happening.

It's not done yet though, in the UK we are eexpecting the numbers to go up again in the autumn/winter, it will be interesting to see the death rate then with the majority either vaccinated or been infected before.

Recording infections and death rates is one thing but just as important is the rate of those suffering with long covid which as we know can ruin your life in some cases . There are reports of sufferers who were athletes prior to getting long covid . The virus has left them unable to walk or without muscle mass maybe for the rest of their lives .

19 hours ago, djayz said:

Yes, I know that a lot of people and businesses are hurting, but what if infection rates start climbing again?

It probably won’t go up again, not officially anyway. They’ll just hide the real figures just as they always do in order to try to get the tourists back again so that the can get whatever money they can through it. I doubt very much if the government will let the figures be shown to go up again before the start of October, otherwise they’ll have to shelve the reopening of Thailand to whatever tourists want to come in. It’s all planned to show that Thailand is a safe country to come to. As is usual with Thailand, money number 1.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Dr Opas noted an apparent improvement in the Covid-19 numbers in recent days saying that lockdown measures, test kits and home quarantine were all playing a vital part in helping the situation

To keep the numbers at a false low.. 

4 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

They chose a government that would rather pocket money and protect their own than be transparent.

They chose a government that would spend big on unnecessary military toys while neglecting that social 'safety net'.

They chose a government that removed the previous elected administration in a military coup, that formed a new political party with no experience of governance, and that has appointed convicted criminals to positions of authority.

Sometimes, those choices end up coming back to haunt you.

If you followed all the shenanigans around the last election, I think a fairer statement would be that the current government chose itself. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, brucec64 said:

If you followed all the shenanigans around the last election, I think a fairer statement would be that the current government chose itself. 

They had plenty of support in many provinces, and won the popular vote to form a coalition government. I know several Thais that voted for Palang Pracharath.

The Thai electorate had plenty of time to decide after the coup if continuing with the military in charge was a good thing, they did, and here we are.

1 hour ago, BestB said:

Oh i am an amature in comparison to you, only 20 years running a business and only 4 employees

But please keep spouting utter nonsense, including how business owners have been compensated, which clearly explains why 100 or so business owners suing the government for 200 million and all others protesting and demanding government helps business owners.

You would not not be Reece any any chance? you sure sound like him

This was from last June:

BANGKOK (NNT) - The Cabinet has approved a proposed compensation scheme for businesses and workers affected by the semi-lockdown order in six provinces, setting up a 2.5 billion baht budget for payments of compensation.

https://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news/detail/TCATG210708162518867

Grey area businesses such as 'massage', 'bars', 'restaurants' and other similar ventures that foreigners mostly fall into will always struggle as they don't properly register their employees, pay as little tax as possible and thus always get shortchanged from the government when it comes to getting handouts.

We have received compensation and the employees received money also even just last month from the social.  

Our accounts and legal teams are top notch though, if one was using a former bar-girl or go-go dancer to manage this sort of stuff I could see it going badgery ping-pong fairly quickly. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, djayz said:

Although I'm sick and tired of  these lockdowns, and long for life to go back to the way it was (notice how I avoided using "normal"), I can't help but feel that it might be a tad too early to open up again. 

Yes, I know that a lot of people and businesses are hurting, but what if infection rates start climbing again? What do we do then? Another lock down? 

Would it not be more sensible to leave things as they are for a few more weeks in the hope that this thing will blow over? 

I hope the government takes your feelings into account. More lockdowns and more poverty for everyone. 

• Confused 1