Lockdown set to be relaxed next week: DDC

Jonathan Fairfield

48 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Another typically nasty, insensitive and frankly pathetic comment that I see on here a lot.

Millions out of work, industries crippled, an entire sector (the biggest sector) of the economy shut down for well over a year, people literally needing food handouts to survive.   Trying to find a way to allow at least a few desperate people to earn some kind of living becomes - in your bitter and twisted mind - "anything for money" like this is driven by greed.    I honestly hope you never have to suffer like millions of Thais currently are with no means of supporting themselves or their families.

Waiting for the "they should have saved for a rainy day" comment next.

I think that comment, used in context, was aimed at the government and those in control, rather than a slur on Thais.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cclub75 said:

In Europe, USA we have "social safety nets". In France, bars/clubs are closed since.... on year and a half. Restaurants were close more than 6 months. But they received load of cash. They can survive.

But in Thailand ?

What did they receive ? A few hundred THB on electricity bills ? 3 or 5 thousands THB ? 1 or 2 times ?

There is social security in Thailand. Not as robust as in some Western countries but there is assistance available if you pay it.

If you are comparing with the West, then Thailand has far better employment laws which protect the worker from being made unemployed, not to mention unemployment numbers are far lower than in the West.

You've taken one area where Thailand is deficient to suit your agenda, while ignoring other areas where Thailand is more proficient than the West, which do not suit your narrative.

7 minutes ago, cclub75 said:

But in Thailand ?

What did they receive ? A few hundred THB on electricity bills ? 3 or 5 thousands THB ? 1 or 2 times ?

Wake up. Millions of Thais have lost EVERYTHING. Their jobs, their savings, their assets.

They chose a government that would rather pocket money and protect their own than be transparent.

They chose a government that would spend big on unnecessary military toys while neglecting that social 'safety net'.

They chose a government that removed the previous elected administration in a military coup, that formed a new political party with no experience of governance, and that has appointed convicted criminals to positions of authority.

Sometimes, those choices end up coming back to haunt you.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, josephbloggs said:

As far as I can make out that's a terribly predictable and boring comment - not to mention untrue.  Thailand started slowly but has accelerated massively over the last 7-8 weeks.  We're now seeing 600,000 + vaccinations a day which is hugely impressive.  Everyone says the UK did an amazing job but even at their peak in March they could only manage 400 - 500k per day.

Credit where it is due (not that I expect anyone on here to give Thailand credit for anything).

The number of daily Covid-19 vaccine doses administered in the UK has hit a record high for a third consecutive day.

A combined total of 844,285 first or second doses were given on Saturday, up from 711,157 on Friday.

1 hour ago, josephbloggs said:

Another typically nasty, insensitive and frankly pathetic comment that I see on here a lot.

Millions out of work, industries crippled, an entire sector (the biggest sector) of the economy shut down for well over a year, people literally needing food handouts to survive.   Trying to find a way to allow at least a few desperate people to earn some kind of living becomes - in your bitter and twisted mind - "anything for money" like this is driven by greed.    I honestly hope you never have to suffer like millions of Thais currently are with no means of supporting themselves or their families.

Waiting for the "they should have saved for a rainy day" comment next.

Great post and spot on 

• Sad 1

35 minutes ago, fredscats said:

For every action ,there is re-action    never thought Thais in general would go along en mass with lockdowns,but they have,they are frightend,...Aussies and kiwis will be reacting in a big way soon enough,had far too much of big brother,the cops will never hold back the growing resentment that is becoming more expected

What is happening in Oz in simply insane in all aspects , from lockdowns over 400 people to having citizens wait for 6 -8 months to return and make them pay for all.

just the other day council ordered to shoot all dogs in rspca so rescue group do not have to come to pick them up as was arranged, in fear of covid spreading.

2 hours ago, CM Dad said:

I don't want my 16-year-old son attending on-site classes until vaccines are offered to secondary students - and not Sinovac!

And that should be your choice.  But it's likely to be a long way off. Have the UK started vaccinating under-18s yet?

2 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

And that should be your choice.  But it's likely to be a long way off. Have the UK started vaccinating under-18s yet?

16-18 currently offered the vaccine, 12-15 under consideration (I think).

• Thanks 1

I am not sure of the hospital situation in Bangkok right now, but my old Thai relative had to wait at home 

sick with COVID for over a week, before she was finally admitted to a hospital. If she did not have some connections

she would still be at home, or dead.  I also have many relatives that live in the city and have to try survive while they 

wait for their vaccines as well as avoid a lot of people who are COVID carriers in the city.  I guess they will be happy if they 

can dine in a restaurant on occasion, or have fewer restrictions. It has been a long time since life has been like it was in

2019. Or pre COVID.

Geezer

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

There is social security in Thailand. Not as robust as in some Western countries but there is assistance available if you pay it.

If you are comparing with the West, then Thailand has far better employment laws which protect the worker from being made unemployed, not to mention unemployment numbers are far lower than in the West.

You've taken one area where Thailand is deficient to suit your agenda, while ignoring other areas where Thailand is more proficient than the West, which do not suit your narrative.

Social security here is nothing in comparison to the west. All those who lost jobs and had SS got about 15000-18000 over 18-19 months period. No not per month but in total. 

business owners got nothing in any shape or form 

and you very mistaken about Thai labor protection laws, not only not much different up the West but easily manipulated and most certainly are not made hard to fire someone in addition to charging for any damage they caused and charging them deposit prior to employment 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Why Me said:

Nice! Thailand is following India's delta curve. Crazy high followed by steep drop. India had 25k cases yesterday with more than 15 times the population. If the pattern holds we should be heading into the low 1000s in a month.

Can't be to do with the vax/lockdown patterns then which are totally different in the two countries. Looks like delta tends to weaken (by mutation?) as it spreads.

Yep. All indications are that delta tends to "burn through its available fuel" quite rapidly.

Just now, fusion58 said:

Yep. All indications are that delta tends to "burn through its available fuel" quite rapidly.

Read an article on Ebola and one of the reasons it doesn't spread so far and wide, even though it is highly transmissible, is that it kills people too quickly!!!! 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Do they not follow what is happening in other countries?

No need: Thailand is the geographical and cultural center of the universe. ????

For the fortunate few, traveling abroad isn't so much about experiencing other cultures as taking lots of selfies and earning prestige points to flaunt back home.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, BestB said:

What is happening in Oz in simply insane in all aspects , from lockdowns over 400 people to having citizens wait for 6 -8 months to return and make them pay for all.

just the other day council ordered to shoot all dogs in rspca so rescue group do not have to come to pick them up as was arranged, in fear of covid spreading.

Australia are now a horror show and the story about the dogs was beyond disgusting and counter productive.   People are more accepting of cruelty to humans than they are to dogs and all this will lead to is 10 times more people on the streets protesting than would have ever have made the journey to pick up one of those rescue dogs.   

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

There may well be other reasons for this announcements inasmuch the financial world does not like economic uncertainty , nor government actions that may have a negative effect on their countries currency . However a positive move can at least maintain the currencies value and may well give it a boost . 

15 hours ago, Anton9 said:

Probably because waves follow the same pattern regardless of restrictions, they always peak and start to drop once a certain amount of people already got infected(and we all know there are way more than reported)

Well. you're a real party pooper.

24 minutes ago, James105 said:

Australia are now a horror show and the story about the dogs was beyond disgusting and counter productive.   People are more accepting of cruelty to humans than they are to dogs and all this will lead to is 10 times more people on the streets protesting than would have ever have made the journey to pick up one of those rescue dogs.   

I also followed the news about what's happening in Australia a little bit but they are really bonkers over there at the moment . They want people locked in their homes to tape up their balcony doors , if you see your neighbours while shopping avoid them and don't start a coversation and on the whole population how many people axactly died since the start of the outbrake ?? I think in thailand more people die on the roads in a week(and maybe in Australia as well) 

57 minutes ago, impulse said:

If Thai people wrote the test questions, western folks would probably test an average of 75 or so. 

Just one example:  Thai people develop amazing skills that allow hundreds of thousands of them to live in houses paid for by their "intellectual superiors"  That's gotta sting....

If Thai people wrote the questions, we'd all be in trouble. 

The main problem in Thailand is education, always has been. You can make flippant remarks and refer to prostitutes conning foreigners etc. but that's just akin to heckling and chucking peanuts from the cheap seats. 

There's a reason the Thais themselves send their offspring overseas for an education, and if they cannot afford that endeavour, they send them to schools with a Western curriculum and names. 

They know their own problems, better than we do, and see them clearer than through any rose-tinted lenses.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BestB said:

Often the toughest tactics render the best results.