Understanding Administering of 2nd AZShot

Havenstreet1940

Shortage of AZ is easing. Also due to supplies of even more popular BionTech/Pfizer.

I saw a headline (paid content) that the US is now using generous quality vaccine supplies to SE Asia to improve relations and put the brake on Chinese expansion.

Waiting for my AZ tomorrow.

• Like 1

On 8/25/2021 at 8:59 AM, Havenstreet1940 said:

I understand that after having the first AZ shot, an appointment date for the 2nd shot is given.    How is this possible if AZ is in short supply.  How does the hospital know if they will have the necessary vaccine at that time?

I had an AZ shot on August 10th, they put a sticker on my passport with the second shot date of Oct 26th [approx 10 wks] 

IMG_20210826_161604.jpg

• Thanks 1

Apparently once you get your 1st AZ jab you are pretty much assured of getting your 2nd jab on the scheduled date.....or earlier if you were one of the folks in early to mid June that were initially given a 2nd jab date for 16 weeks later.  That is, when the Thai govt in mid June "briefly" extended the AZ jab interval from the preferred 12 weeks to 16 weeks in order to free-up more AZ jabs for "1st" shots.  But about a week later the govt reversed that policy and started using the 12 week jab scheduled again.

And since then people who were given a 2nd AZ jab date that was 16 weeks down the road from the 1st jab have been moved up to approx 12 weeks.      My local private Bangkok hospital in mid June gave some folks a 16 week 2nd AZ jab date but in early August sent out notices the people who were scheduled for the 2nd AZ jab at 16 weeks should come in at 12 weeks.  

Fortunately, the wife and I got our 1st AZ jabs on 30 June and were given a 2nd jab date of 22 Sep, which is exactly 12 weeks after the 1st jab.

I wouldn't worry about a person's scheduled 2nd AZ jab being delayed since there is a lot more AZ (and or vaccines) available now compared to a month or two ago.

On 8/25/2021 at 3:59 AM, Havenstreet1940 said:

How is this possible if AZ is in short supply.  How does the hospital know if they will have the necessary vaccine at that time?

They know that they have the agreed number of doses - was it 6 million a month? - the problem was the extra doses that the Thai government thought they also could have. It just takes little planing, and should your second jab be moved a few days or a week, it should not be a big deal. I'm scheduled for 19th September, and I don't worry...????

11 hours ago, bbabythai said:

Im eagerly awaiting my 2nd dose of AZ soon. I tried to visit the centre today but gates were closed. All operations stopped. I hope they are open in a few weeks. 

Don't know where you are talking about, but you should check to see if the place you got your 1st jab is still in operation for future jabs....ask around...make some calls....check for signs at the location.  Maybe the location is no longer giving jabs....has moved to another location....etc.  

On 8/25/2021 at 2:40 PM, Emdog said:

Exactly. I got my 1st July 31; 2nd scheduled for Oct 22. Lots can happen between then and now.

I got my first on July 1 and second was to be given on September 20. Then I received an SMS from Phuket Win to say date changed to September 5 - just 9 days away. We'll see what happens then

• Like 1