290,000 new graduates jobless due to Covid

webfact

te.jpg

By Panithan Onthaworn

Around 290,000 fresh graduates became jobless during the second quarter of 2021 as uncertainties induced by the Covid-19 pandemic stayed high, the government’s planning unit said Wednesday.

The number of unemployed fresh graduates rose by 10 per cent from a year earlier, the National Economic and Social Development Council (NESDC) said in its quarterly social situation.

The second-quarter unemployment rate stood at 1.89 per cent or around 730,000 jobless people in total.

Discover Cigna’s range of health insurance solutions created for expats and local nationals living in Thailand - click to view

ti.jpg
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, JoePai said:

Not just jobless but also clueless from the ones I've met - mind you that's the same the world over

Given how education is falling in quality in so many countries, I don't think Thai people will have to worry about the quality of their education for much longer.  Unfortunately not for the reason they might have hoped.

I feel for them. If you graduate into a recession, when things recover you are passed over for the current years graduates.

Something some on here should bear in mind when they are lecturing us on how they they achieved what they did so why couldn't everyone else.

Total Kraap, there are  many  jobs  going in rural  Thailand but they are  just  too  lazy to do the work, finding farm workers at 500  baht a  day (14k a  month) + accomodation  water electric  rice motorbike and other perks is  nigh on impossible. Hua  Hin area

57 minutes ago, mokwit said:

I feel for them. If you graduate into a recession, when things recover you are passed over for the current years graduates.

Something some on here should bear in mind when they are lecturing us on how they they achieved what they did so why couldn't everyone else.

Someone should  also reply that they would  do and have done any and  all  jobs to get an income when nothing else  was  available rather than sit  on their backsides  whining and think menial work is  beneath them. Many are  purely  bone idle with the worst work ethics Ive ever  seen.

Unemployed graduates = too many graduates with too high expectations

Same everywhere

The difference here in TIT is any job that requires a degree also requires an uncle or even a sugar daddy (if the graduate qualifies in the looks department)

Interviewed dozens of them for the past few years. Most of them expect decent salary, easy jobs and no pressure. Took up a few and all ended up quitting after a few months. I guess most they can survive with their parents help.

A mate of mine was lucky enough (?) to marry a  Chinese /Thai from a wealthy family in BKK.  I have been out to diner with them, and their friends many times.  Most  of them have at least one degree, moreoften two,  even three sometimes.

Yet to have a conversation with any of them  consists of giggling, talk of TV shows, celebrities, or  fashions.  Not an once of common sense amongst the lot of them. Very pleasant and polite ,,however  I feel sorry for them, their   knowledge of the world outside Thailand is pitiful.