What is the Secret to Happiness?

My Dear Fellows,

Can anyone here tell me the secret to happiness?

Many of you have come to Thailand seeking this secret happiness, yet few have ever found it.

Some, indeed, have found happiness on farmland, and others have found happiness at a university, and still others have found happiness in a coffeeshop. But, only too few of you.

I wonder, just how you might define HAPPINESS?

Happiness is a nebulous thing, which most of us are unable to define, simply because when we attain it, happiness ceases to become so very happy, after being so minutely scrutinized. Happiness is never long-lasting, as we know.

For example, I have known a few women, just as a few of my women friends have known a few men. And, in the end, there is always a great letdown.  This is not happiness, obviously.

And so, I wonder, are all of us basically destined to never experience true happiness in this life?

NO!!!!

In my opinion, living where we are living, in this blessed place, we should be able to attain happiness, if only we are very careful in our choices.

I do believe that there are quite a few people on this miraculous forum who have achieved happiness. Yet, rarely do they explain, in detail, the ways they have achieved their happiness.

Personally, I can tell you that I rarely achieve the feeling of happiness, except for very minor spurts of happiness, spurts which rarely last very long.

And, I also do not believe that happiness can be achieved by meeting a woman (or a man). True happiness must originate from within.

I happen to love women. And, I just love women not exclusively from a sexual perspective.  I mean.  I LOVE women.  I love watching women knit socks and scarfs, for example, and listening to them gab about family related issues, and other things, for example.

Now, here I am in Thailand. I am now here in Thailand, and I am blessed. Yet, I wonder why I am not feeling as happy as I should, just being as lucky as I know that I am.

Maybe, the reason is that I know that I am missing something, still, such as a good woman who knows how to care for me, and to knit socks for me.

Truly, I LOVE women, but I also RESPECT women. Do you think I am joking?  NO!!!!!

Respect for women is crucial, since women are the ones who protect the family, and also the ones who make our next generation possible. Women are also teachers.

Living with Thai women, as well as other women, just makes me feel…SO happy.

I know that you feel just as do I.

Let’s all glory in the blessing of womanhood.

Where would we be without the miraculous weaker sex, which is actually the strongest of all.

Regards,

Gamma

NOTE: Wow, Man…..  I REALLY do love women, and womanhood.  So true, my friends.

Let us all be very thankful.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, ChrisP24 said:

People could write (and many have written) a philosophical treatise on this subject.  For me, my simplest take on the subject is that happiness is a mindset, and happy people are those who, through a process of self-discovery and self-awareness, have developed a habit over time of being in that mindset.  Yes there will be ups and downs but happy people don't let the downs rule them.

You say that "Many of you have come to Thailand seeking this secret happiness, yet few have ever found it."  To that, I say that the happy expats are those who brought their happiness with them.  Those running from something or running to something are too often deceiving/misdirecting themselves.

As for women, my past relationships have been almost all good ones, and although those relationships of course come to an end one way or another, having had them, and having conducted myself in a way where I have few regrets, is a source of comfort and joy for me still.

I'll end with a quote from Yul Brynner:   “We are born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Everything in-between is a gift. ”

" the happy expats are those who brought their happiness with them"

By the way, speaking of Yul Brynner...  I LOVE his watch...

Yul Brynner loved the Cartier watch.  Maybe you know.

Nice post of yours. (I cannot find Yul Brynner with his Cartier watch in Google. But, trust me, he loved Cartier.)

Cartier Santos:  Yul Brynner loved this watch.

W2SA0006_1551395170.jpg.db6f6af56eeba4d04bac322e9510f848.jpg

Take care!

Happiness cannot be found in a watch, of course.

Yet, this watch is beautiful.

Happiness can only be found in helping others...

Trite but true.

Take care.

w960.webp

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, ChrisP24 said:

People could write (and many have written) a philosophical treatise on this subject.  For me, my simplest take on the subject is that happiness is a mindset, and happy people are those who, through a process of self-discovery and self-awareness, have developed a habit over time of being in that mindset.  Yes there will be ups and downs but happy people don't let the downs rule them.

You say that "Many of you have come to Thailand seeking this secret happiness, yet few have ever found it."  To that, I say that the happy expats are those who brought their happiness with them.  Those running from something or running to something are too often deceiving/misdirecting themselves.

As for women, my past relationships have been almost all good ones, and although those relationships of course come to an end one way or another, having had them, and having conducted myself in a way where I have few regrets, is a source of comfort and joy for me still.

I'll end with a quote from Yul Brynner:   “We are born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Everything in-between is a gift. ”

Few people, here, would put so much time into any reply, as you have done.

And so, I happen to know, there are people here who are able to craft a few important comments.

REALLY NICE thoughtful post of yours, and not unexpected.

Nice to see your post, and far better than mine.

Nice.

• Like 1

True happiness is a loving wife whom always supports you and being beside you whether no matter what happens be it misfortune, poverty or sick health. Being borned in a blessed family although poor is truly what money cannot buy???? As for material wealth really helps and having lots of money is also important to buy luxurious convenience but without the above blessings, it's really a lonely sad world.

1 hour ago, Nyonya said:

True happiness is a loving wife whom always supports you and being beside you whether no matter what happens be it misfortune, poverty or sick health. Being borned in a blessed family although poor is truly what money cannot buy???? As for material wealth really helps and having lots of money is also important to buy luxurious convenience but without the above blessings, it's really a lonely sad world.

Yes.

This world would be a sad world, without the things you mention.

In fact, you are so correct: A loving wife, as long as you also have a minimal about of money, is all you need.

In addition, you might need a few books.

And, you might need great music, too.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KarenBravo said:

Chasing happiness dooms you to failure. True happiness is ephemeral and insubstantial.

Chase contentedness instead. You might even find some happiness there.

There is no point in chasing happiness, as you say.

Doing so can only lead to unhappiness and dissatisfaction in life.

Instead, we must chase something else.

4 minutes ago, RubbaJohnny said:

No way to happiness, happiness is the way.

If like Moses/משה רבנו you seek advice keep taking the tablets.

My view is that taking too many tablets, with a glass of water, will not solve your problem.

Don't take too many happy tablets, is my best advice to you.

Valium can only lead you to ruin.

Same with belief in things that are not science-based.

Far better that you study the chemistry of the Sun.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun#:~:text=The Sun is composed primarily,Sun in the photosphere%2C respectively.&text=Since the Sun formed%2C the,involved fusing hydrogen into helium.

Without the Sun, there would be no Hebrew.

11 hours ago, RubbaJohnny said:

No way to happiness, happiness is the way.

If like Moses/משה רבנו you seek advice keep taking the tablets.

We are lucky he dropped one.  Who knows what was in commandments 11 - 15?

• Haha 2

If one goes in search of happiness, that person will never be fulfilled. Happiness depends on external circumstances which are forever changing from day to day. Instead, we should strive to discover inner joy and peace which can only be found in a personal relationship with the Creator God of the universe. When we reject Jesus Christ as our personal Lord and Savior, the wrath of God abides on us, and we should never expect that we can live a life that delivers any kind of happiness in a meaningful and consistent way. 

Before The Second Coming of Christ, This Will Happen To So Many - YouTube

• Sad 1

36 minutes ago, fittobethaied said:

If one goes in search of happiness, that person will never be fulfilled. Happiness depends on external circumstances which are forever changing from day to day. Instead, we should strive to discover inner joy and peace which can only be found in a personal relationship with the Creator God of the universe. When we reject Jesus Christ as our personal Lord and Savior, the wrath of God abides on us, and we should never expect that we can live a life that delivers any kind of happiness in a meaningful and consistent way. 

Before The Second Coming of Christ, This Will Happen To So Many - YouTube

So if I am Muslim, Shinto or Rastafarian I cannot be happy, no?

To un-confuse Thaibeachlovers and ChrisKC.   Quoting fitobethaied 'When we reject Jesus Christ as our personal Lord and Savior, the wrath of God abides on us, and we should never expect that we can live a life that delivers any kind of happiness'

He is saying that unless one embraces Christianity & Jesus Christ, one cannot be happy. Not true, I know many happy Rastas!

Edited by KannikaP
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

14 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I happen to love women. And, I just love women not exclusively from a sexual perspective.  I mean.  I LOVE women. 

Me too, but only to look at, so long as they are worth looking at. Actually becoming involved with them has usually led to my disappointment.

Not always true though. I have been ecstatic to be involved with a very few women, only to be crushed when it inevitably goes wrong and ultimately ends in tears.

IMO happiness will only be found when sexbots become available, as long as they can be reprogrammed whenever they become stroppy.

Looking back, my happy times always involved women, even if only temporarily, with one exception. That was in Antarctica, back when men were men, and women were thousands of miles away. Without women to distract, and irritate, life was as pure as it is possible to be, and without any around to temp me I didn't miss them at all.

Then I had to return to the land of women, and did I ever get messed up! Not happy memories, but a learning experience. If one doesn't learn from calamity, one is condemned to repeat till one does learn the lesson.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

Chasing happiness dooms you to failure. True happiness is ephemeral and insubstantial.

Chase contentedness instead. You might even find some happiness there.

Can't say that I've ever been content. I have been happy a few times though.

The best I can hope for now is to not be any more unhappy than I have to be.

14 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I LOVE Thailand.

Thailand is the best place I have ever been.

Truly, I love Thailand, more than any other country.

I agree, but that is rather sad, that a country with so many problems is better than anywhere else I have resided, other than Antarctica, and all who go there are given but a short time in that blessed continent.

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Can't say that I've ever been content. I have been happy a few times though.

The best I can hope for now is to not be any more unhappy than I have to be.

Please do not worry.

You are already doing quite well.

Being happy a few times is more than most could hope for.

Realize that you are most fortunate to not be happy ALL THE TIME.

And, let it go at this.

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I agree, but that is rather sad, that a country with so many problems is better than anywhere else I have resided, other than Antarctica, and all who go there are given but a short time in that blessed continent.

Some who go there, to Antarctica, do not just go for a short time. (not making a pun)

Some who go there, go forever.

1123111148_800px-Last_Rest_(Grave_of_Scott_Wilson_and_Bowers).png.e56cb5e11b7e0af940b9e53c4befc2e4.png

3 minutes ago, Pravda said:

I can tell you one thing for sure. Anyone who comes to this forum and boasts about their great life is definitely not happy. You have to be totally depressed to gloat about it to anonymous forum members who could care less.

You definitely have no friends or family that loves you.

I’m happy, I’m happy

I’m happy, I’m happy

and I’ll punch the man who says I’m not

- Ivor Cutler

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Please do not worry.

You are already doing quite well.

Being happy a few times is more than most could hope for.

Realize that you are most fortunate to not be happy ALL THE TIME.

And, let it go at this.

I discovered long ago that everyone has demons, and those that appear to be happy are just better at putting on a false front than the rest of us.

I know of only one exception, the most lovely man that I ever met. The genuine article, the real deal, the example to all of us. He died in his thirties leaving a wonderful wife and two small children to mourn him. Perhaps he was too happy to live long.