Thailand's daily COVID-19 cases drop below 20,000 for 8th successive day

Jonathan Fairfield

Govt expects to vaccinate 70 per cent of population by year-end

At least 70 per cent of Thai citizens would be fully vaccinated by the year-end, the Public Health Ministry said.

Dr Opas Karnkawinpong, director-general of the Department of Disease Control, said once the vaccination of the elderly, people with chronic diseases and pregnant women was finished, the ministry would vaccinate the general public and children aged 12 years or above.

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40005421

• Like 2

Probably because originally they only ordered around 3 million a month from AZ/Siam Bioscience as revealed in documents.

"Thailand, an AZ PRODUCING COUNTRY, just ordered 8 million AZ from abroad because local production by SBS cannot reach 10 million per month as they promised."

https://twitter.com/erich_parpart/status/1431833465582800897

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

At least 70 per cent of Thai citizens would be fully vaccinated by the year-end, the Public Health Ministry said.

Dr Opas Karnkawinpong, director-general of the Department of Disease Control, said once the vaccination of the elderly, people with chronic diseases and pregnant women was finished, the ministry would vaccinate the general public and children aged 12 years or above.

Although we don't know the percentage of those above that have already been fully vaccinated, or do we?

• Like 1

Thailand’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs has revealed that South Korea is likely to provide COVID-19 vaccines to Thailand at the end of September.

Ministry spokesperson Tanee Sangrat said Foreign Affairs Minister Don Pramudwinai discussed collaboration on COVID-19 vaccines with South Korean Foreign Minister Chung Eui-yong during his visit to Thailand between August 26th and 28th, adding that this was the first visit by Mr. Chung after being appointed Foreign Minister.

The South Korean Minister said his country could provide vaccines to Thailand at the end of September, after fully vaccinating 70% of its population.

https://www.facebook.com/nbtworld/posts/10158225521702050

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dinsdale said:

Ok. I didn't know this was the case. It is said though that the longer between shots the longer the protection. By putting them at risk I was meaning the protection will last a shorter period of time. Do you know if any other country in the world is doing this. If the company that makes the stuff says 12 wks for best protection I guess 3 wks would get you the least protection.

The Guardian writes that it is quite common

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jun/30/gps-giving-second-covid-jabs-just-three-weeks-apart-despite-nhs-guidance   Wed 30 Jun 2021 19.21 BST

"Many other countries operate shorter gaps between doses than the 12-week delays in the UK"

It's becoming more and more clear that booster jabs will be needed with all vaccines. I'd agree with getting the protection up quicker now, you'll need another jab in 6 months anyway and it'll keep you out of hospital until then. Simplistic thinking, I know. But I think it works ????  

Edited by MikeyIdea

They never say how many they tested if there not testing the numbers then there will be a droplets face it if you test positive you have to go to a field hospital to isolate now if they changed the rule and people could isolate at home I think the daily testing would be a lot higher 

2 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

They got that from the official CCSA slides yesterday. B.P. did an English version graph but seeing as we can't post that here is the original graphic where I've translated the necessary points. 

Notable they anticipate to stop any new orders of Sinovac in Nov & Dec, great news!

For this month, although they said in late July that they would have 10 million doses, they actually got 13.8

For the remainder of the year, Sept = 15.3m. Oct = 24m. Nov = 23m. and Dec = 23m.

https://www.hfocus.org/content/2021/08/22866

data 29 aug 7.png

If I am not wrong Moderna is NOT coming in October as promised but in December !!!

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, MikeyIdea said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jun/30/gps-giving-second-covid-jabs-just-three-weeks-apart-despite-nhs-guidance   Wed 30 Jun 2021 19.21 BST

"Many other countries operate shorter gaps between doses than the 12-week delays in the UK"

It's becoming more and more clear that booster jabs will be needed with all vaccines. I'd agree with getting the protection up quicker now, you'll need another jab in 6 months anyway and it'll keep you out of hospital until then. Simplistic thinking, I know. But I think it works ????  

The only thing you can trust in " the guardian " is the date.. ????????

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

I think that could happen - if they don't run out of vaccines and fix the problems they have in the bigger cities. 

I got both my shots upcountry now. I'll give a first hand account of my experience. The first thing I have to say is that it was efficient and well organised. I was impressed the first time and more impressed when I got the second shot.

5 stations with chairs neatly arranged and spaced out, strict numbering system, OK, 4 stations could have been enough but 5 wasn't a problem. Large area open on 3 sides. Staff came with free water regularly. A number of beds available if you felt sick after the shot. Plenty of polite support staff. 500 and a bit people first time, 6-700 people the second time. I was ready in 1.5 hours both times. Not bad at all ???? The only drawback was that I had to wait half an hour after the shot to see if I developed any side effects. I waited 15.

All free for everybody, foreigners (living there) of course welcome , I saw 3 + myself both times. 

Edited by MikeyIdea
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

If I am not wrong Moderna is NOT coming in October as promised but in December !!!

I remember an announcement it will be the end of this year or 2022.

There may be several agencies private and public that have ordered it.

The caveat is that the orders were placed prior to the US announcing it is going to be giving booster shots next month to 10's of millions who received vaccines.  So, they will need them more now then previously planned.

Personally, I would get any vaccine available now.  Especially if you want to eat in a restaurant. ????

The Moderna may come later here just in time as a booster shot.

Edited by bkk6060

Went to Makro a few hours ago and just returned home.  The past month aisles were full of carts for home delivery.  Today very few and instead the place was packed.  Looked like every person who owns a restaurant was loading up on everything they could in anticipation of Wednesday's opening.  Watched as 5 folks, looked like they were all together, had cases upon cases of Soda, Bags of rice, and everything one would find in the kitchen for cooking including oil, oyster sauce, and cases upon cases of other cooking goods.  They were not the only ones and the stock people were busy trying to reload the shelves in the Fruits and vegetable department.  Incredible, but then one wonders if they do not have shops in the local talads and are stocking up for the folks that buy from them as well......

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MikeyIdea said:

If thats the case one wonders why the likes of myself and others vaccinated in June are still waiting on the second jab of AZ and not being called in early.

Now this is interesting to see. As I posted earlier, Prachuap Khiri Khan was showing 396 cases today and that information comes from a “Save Bang Saphan” page. Always been correct in the past. Now, when compared with NBT World  we have a figure of 272!!

That is a huge difference and makes you wonder as to how there can be such a huge discrepancy in figures! Are they being massaged to suit the agenda? 

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

If thats the case one wonders why the likes of myself and others vaccinated in June are still waiting on the second jab of AZ and not being called in early.

City? It works fine in the NE around where I am now, heard the same from some friends in other parts of the NE but these are all towns (and 3-4 weeks between shots). You are not called in towns, you just come if you want. It seems they still have (big?) problems in cities. 

I couldn't get shots in the city I live but I used to stay with a friend in a town not far away (before delta) so I drove over (using a N95 mask all the time) and his gardener and I went and took the shots together, used his ID card as registered address. Don't tell anyone ????

Edited by MikeyIdea
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mtraveler said:

I think you are partially right, but there were other things happening that left Thailand flatfooted.  And I think it was a combination of greed and hubris that put them in a bind.  

They thought they could both make a lot of money and save a lot of money by producing a vaccine themselves.  And initially chose a single source for the vaccine that was probably enriching some people.  And I think there were some that thought the cheapest way to gain herd immunity was to let the disease spread through the general population.  I'd say each of these contributed to where we are today. 

The sign of good management is setting up contingency plans.  Thinking what is the worst possible outcome, and having a plan if the worst does happen.  That's what good companies do.  And Government is, ultimately, a company.  In this case, there was no contingency plan.  

I think vaccines would have been available earlier had they reached into their pocket and paid extra money, or if they had placed orders earlier (see "contingency plans").  And maybe they could have had an insurance policy by joining Covax.  Both to access vaccines in the event they needed them, and as a way to offload extra vaccine inventory if in fact they didn't need it until a later date.  Can you think of a good reason NOT to join Covax?

You need to do some research…it goes a fair bit deeper than this. 

• Sad 1

Today there were 264 deaths in #Thailand

145 males & 119 females

3 Burmese

Median age 68 (21-100 years)

Most deaths in Bangkok (111)

67% of deaths aged 60+ (in BKK 77%)

1 pregnant woman died 1 died at home

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1431862263317684224

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Each province's daily domestic COVID-19 cases update in Thailand on Sunday.

Total: 16, 528

https://www.facebook.com/nbtworld/posts/10158225611852050

https://scontent-sin6-4.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.6435-9/p235x350/240649458_10158225611612050_3815068959297339505_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=OAUQlLUxuHEAX9zbzBH&_nc_ht=scontent-sin6-4.xx&oh=ce62ccc4c583706c6c863e26e8a01710&oe=6151DCD0https://scontent-sin6-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.6435-9/p235x350/240846042_10158225611722050_5292067279212235037_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=IWaW_OaG2mAAX93mbjD&_nc_oc=AQnpyktmE7eOdwrkCcBUqE9njaI2sWYaCI4egqcnxK4n5YN4q_rEVD39YBz4QAnOzxM&_nc_ht=scontent-sin6-2.xx&oh=12875db382c12d72405a7acef26d8dde&oe=61502E67https://scontent-sin6-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.6435-9/p235x350/240827454_10158225611677050_4321115036351409108_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=IRN5UKap6mEAX9EXe69&_nc_ht=scontent-sin6-2.xx&oh=95d6809945b830ecf2b8e8abba9f78ff&oe=6150064Bhttps://scontent-sin6-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.6435-9/p235x350/240706919_10158225611542050_4417521826927825232_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=zpek8l--PZMAX9ZRLlb&_nc_ht=scontent-sin6-1.xx&oh=ac0f7f961ddcd60e8078a474aa5115af&oe=61512FFB

If numbers are correct then Chiang Mai has haddle nicely hole covid situation up there! Metro area  has almost 1 million people and if look like phuket where have 4 times more case whit about 400k people.

42 minutes ago, worrab said:

Now this is interesting to see. As I posted earlier, Prachuap Khiri Khan was showing 396 cases today and that information comes from a “Save Bang Saphan” page. Always been correct in the past. Now, when compared with NBT World  we have a figure of 272!!

That is a huge difference and makes you wonder as to how there can be such a huge discrepancy in figures! Are they being massaged to suit the agenda? 

Lets have a survey.

46 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Maybe they haven't got enough, or, they think they are safe with one, my wife's daughter school teacher was shocked when i told her that even after her 2 shots she can still catch and pass on, shocked as shocked could be.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Thailand's daily COVID-19 cases dropped below 20,000 for an 8th successive day on Sunday (Aug 29).

Maybe if they add in all the home isolations it would reflect the correct number.

30% have had the first jab... most with Sinovac

10% have had the second jab

some have had third dose... 

And they are talking about decreasing infection number so they can open up the country sooner rather than safely.

• Thanks 1