Over 31,000 children in Thailand infected with COVID-19 in past 4 months, 9 dead

webfact

Children-COVID19.jpg

More than 31,000 children in the country, aged from under one to five years, have been infected with COVID-19 in the past four months. Most were infected by close relatives or other caretakers and, of these, nine have died, said Dr. Suwanchai Wattanayingcharoenchai, director-general of Thailand’s Department of Health, yesterday (Monday).

Citing data released on August 21st, he said that, within a week, 5,298 additional infections among young children, including 4,773 Thais and 525 foreigners, were recorded, representing an increase of 33% over the previous week.

Of the 31,811 cases, 27,755 are Thais and the rest are children of foreign migrant workers. Bangkok had the most infections, logging 5,806 cases, followed by 2,324 in Samut Sakhon and 1,993 in Chon Buri.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/over-31000-children-in-thailand-infected-with-covid-19-in-past-4-months-9-dead/

Logo-top-.png

• Sad 1

My wife got called into the kindergarten yesterday as they wanted to give each student and parent medicine - the wife claimed they said it was to help with covid and for opening the school later, though I can't see it. Anyone else had the same happen with their school/kindergarten. The school also arranged covid vaccines, though the wife and friend had to travel from Pattaya to Bangkok !

No description available.

No description available.No description available.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

More than 31,000 children in the country, aged from under one to five years, have been infected with COVID-19 in the past four months. Most were infected by close relatives or other caretakers and, of these, nine have died, said Dr. Suwanchai Wattanayingcharoenchai, director-general of Thailand’s Department of Health, yesterday (Monday).

And the schools are about to open with virtually no vaccinations to children... the ones Prayut loves so much and cares for!!

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

25 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

. I truly hope it will be before the end of September.

Think it through. 

When restrictions ease Sept 1 and for example dine in etc allowed. Reports of positives in the community will just continue to be the norm. Difficult to pin it down to having acquired covid at certain venue.

School kids different. Regardless of where when how they became positive with covid is irrelevant as it will be put down to attending school.

Rightly or wrongly is not important. What then? A back flip on schools opening? 

There is talk of school open for 12-18yr old as the first step. 

The 6yr olds will be somewhat later and can't imagine end of September possible, however it's clear that the whole mantra of government has changed. Its full steam ahead so anything possible. 

Edited by DrJack54

2 hours ago, rudi49jr said:

Imagine it was your child getting sick and dying of covid. Would you still feel the same way then?

did you stop traveling? if so then you have the right to claim what you say. And in the case if not, then you are also like me one of the people who contribute to the spreiding that caused the children got sick and some of them died. all because you as well I needed to travel. and with this make super high ways for spreading.

It is all  about the numbers to make the spicies to survive. and in the first place covid is spreading due to human behavior fast around the world. 

Only when you not move around and stay in one place you help others to avoid getting it. 

I do understand what you try to say, still even then it is within the set parameters. that is the cold science behind the numbers and the perspective.

Also de aware that you not need to have underlaying illness also mismatch of genes that make you more receptive for covid or having makes one dies.

We have seen this with the black plague, Spanish Flu, Sars-1 (around 2003). 

and do not forget the killers like traffic or narcotics, or other human made product like petrol with lead additives. or the believe that non obese people are healthy people. the more you look into the 'cold' number the more fascinating pattern one sees. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, pizzachang said:

.03 % is within the natural variable. And even with this low percentage, it would be useful to know which of those unfortunate children had underlying factors.

Certainly the death of any child is a horror that no parent should endure and no caring parent would ever willing put their child at risk but 9 deaths out of about 10 million is very low. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hockeybik said:

Certainly the death of any child is a horror that no parent should endure and no caring parent would ever willing put their child at risk but 9 deaths out of about 10 million is very low. 

It was 100% for those that unfortunately died. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, brewsterbudgen said:

So keep schools closed forever?  I'm thinking you don't have school-age kids...????

Until that family is vaccinated.

We have two kids. 

It's definitely a pain in the a*s with 6 hours a day of online learning.  Luckily my wifes an ex-teacher.

We've got some elderly Thais living amongst us with diabetes.  Prime candidates for COVID-19 complications.

I'm also older.

I'd rather be safe than paying millions of baht for COVID-19 treatment.  

I'm getting Pfeizer on the 12th and the rest are booked and paid for Moderna in October. (Hopefully).

We all want the kids back at school. 

But until our family is vaccinated our family will continue to teach at home.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Hockeybik said:

Exceedingly low - yet tragic for the families.

I wonder if they had pre-existing conditions?

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, 2009 said:

Children are barely affected by this!

The tops causes of death in children are still by road accident and by drowning -- as they always have been!

Totally wrong

But they'll spread it to the families who mostly live in confined spaces.

"Although kids are much less likely than adults to get seriously ill from COVID-19, pediatricians are reporting a worrying trend - more children are being hospitalized with the coronavirus than at any point during the pandemic."

https://www.npr.org/2021/08/23/1030430471/how-the-delta-variant-affects-children

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

So keep schools closed forever?  I'm thinking you don't have school-age kids...????

I dont think most of them have, i'd bet the majority have a steady income/pension too.

30 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

Until that family is vaccinated.

We have two kids. 

It's definitely a pain in the a*s with 6 hours a day of online learning.  Luckily my wifes an ex-teacher.

We've got some elderly Thais living amongst us with diabetes.  Prime candidates for COVID-19 complications.

I'm also older.

I'd rather be safe than paying millions of baht for COVID-19 treatment.  

I'm getting Pfeizer on the 12th and the rest are booked and paid for Moderna in October. (Hopefully).

We all want the kids back at school. 

But until our family is vaccinated our family will continue to teach at home.

And I completely respect your choice.  But it will take many, many months for all families in Thailand to be fully vaccinated especially if there are any kids under 11.  In fact, it might be unachievable. I don't think schools can or should stay closed for that long.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Last year my son lost 2 1/2 months of school and this year they finished at the end of March with a return date around the first week of May. Tomorrow is September 1st and still no return date yet. So far this year he has lost 4 more months of schooling.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Last year my son lost 2 1/2 months of school and this year they finished at the end of March with a return date around the first week of May. Tomorrow is September 1st and still no return date yet. So far this year he has lost 4 more months of schooling.

Similar for my son. He had online classes for April - July and this term started online on 23 August. Not ideal for a class of 22 6-year-olds. I'm hoping he might get back to school before the end of September.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

And I completely respect your choice.  But it will take many, many months for all families in Thailand to be fully vaccinated especially if there are any kids under 11.  In fact, it might be unachievable. I don't think schools can or should stay closed for that long.

I agree with you also.

My wife who's pulling the load on home schooling wishes they would open yesterday.

For our family we may all be vaccinated within the next 8 weeks.  We're lucky we have a massive house and a guest house to quarantine anyone who might get COVID-19.

Unfortunately most families who live in the village all sleep in one room.

I haven't heard of any opening times for schools, have you by any chance?

Stay safe.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Similar for my son. He had online classes for April - July and this term started online on 23 August. Not ideal for a class of 22 6-year-olds. I'm hoping he might get back to school before the end of September.

This will be my son's 3rd successive school year of interruptions.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Harry Black said:

I posted this the other day, seems topical on this thread.

Seven in 10 children and young people reported poorer mental health due to the impact of COVID-19 on their lives in a 2020 UNICEF-led survey in Thailand. Following school closures, more than half said they were worried about their studies, and future education and employment.

https://www.unicef.org/thailand/press-releases/first-day-school-indefinitely-postponed-140-million-first-time-students-around-world

Nothing is good about it. 

Nobody wins.

Interesting and truthful article.

Edited by MrJ2U
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1