Pattaya: Rain washes away 400 million baht beach - barriers and tunnel proposed

webfact

3 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

No, you provide the link stating categorically that the beach was designed that way ?

You also stated that threads relating to the tunnel & flooding had been deleted, just a quick link to show that Thai Visa / Asean Now do not remove / delete threads, ever.

So where is your proof that the beach was designed to be washed away with every heavy rain............. 

Glad you asked, next time you are down there open your eyes.  Ta Daaaa, proof!  Maybe someone else here can enlighten you further about what should be blatantly obvious to the casual observer.

Edited by shdmn
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Golden Triangle said:

No, you provide the link stating categorically that the beach was designed that way ?

You also stated that threads relating to the tunnel & flooding had been deleted, just a quick link to show that Thai Visa / Asean Now do not remove / delete threads, ever.

So where is your proof that the beach was designed to be washed away with every heavy rain............. 

Lol...you found a thread from last year and the very last comment says it all.

At least they got it right this time. Don’t knock them down when they finally get something right, otherwise we may never see it again. Let’s just look at beach road flooding or the sand fiasco. Give praise when it’s due. 

I am talking about the plethora of threads from years ago, when the tunnel was still being constructed.  Absolutely filled with comments from doom mongers 100% certain it was going to constantly flood because their narrative always has and always will be that Thailand can't do anything right. How many of them admitted they were wrong in hindsight?  Apparently just one.  ????‍♂️

If any of those threads still exist anywhere I couldn't find them.

Edited by shdmn

7 hours ago, shdmn said:

Glad you asked, next time you are down there open your eyes.  Ta Daaaa, proof!  Maybe someone else here can enlighten you further about what should be blatantly obvious to the casual observer.

If they had been designed to wash away by the local eggheads, perhaps they would have stood a better chance. Anyhow, come November the rains will stop and the problem will have gone away. 

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

If they had been designed to wash away by the local eggheads, perhaps they would have stood a better chance. Anyhow, come November the rains will stop and the problem will have gone away. 

Until when/if  the seasonal  strong Northerly wind driven waves and longshore currents, North to South, rip out the sand. So far seems those Northerlies have been mild. The jetty at North point seems to be helping, even if it was constructed as a pile of rocks covered in rusting wire mesh. Instead of properly with full size boulders.

7 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

Just like the leaky roof joke. Can't fix it when it's raining. When it stops raining, it doesn't leak so no need to fix it.

And yes, lots of people expected the tunnel to flood as almost every other project the city has done (to prevent flooding) was a failure, so why not the tunnel.

However, as was pointed out, the underpass went through a natural "high point" in the land and the Central Road/Sukhumvit intersection never flooded before, unlike the intersections on each side of it (South and North Pattaya Roads) which are in natural depressions.
As such, it is unlikely to get the volume of water that other areas experience.

I noticed the other day when I went through there after we'd had a heavy rain. The North and South Pattaya intersections were lakes but the underpass was clear. I was checking out the drains on the sides as we drove through, noting they weren't very large - and weren't plugged with garbage.

The beach on the other hand. They know where the water flows because they built channels into the walkway that allow water to flow directly from Beach Road onto the beach.
This is a pic (google street view from Oct 2020) of the promenade across from Central Festival. Note that they lowered the sides along the road so the promenade is level with the road, and then there's the ramp leading down to the beach.

As though it was specifically designed to channel water towards the sand. (Lol - otherwise it might go the other way and flood the bottom of Central Festival instead !)
b-1a.jpg.b42263d0c6b28d092d5fd0821d8bc8f1.jpg

Here's the pic of the same spot from the other way (looking towards Central Festival) from the OP's post:
b-1b.jpg.a9ab9ff666c43cdd052aa8a5da16c217.jpg

Gee, I wonder why the sand gets washed away every time it rains (hard) in Pattaya ?

Hmmmm, doesn't seem to be any explanation for it at all !!

I live on Pattaya Beach Road at the north end and walk the Promenade.  One thing I've noticed with the big flood control project they did is the road drain grills that run along the whole length of the road.  They are shown in your picture.  If you look, in some areas they are very wide and the drain grills are very open--the circled yellow in the lower left of your top photo.  If you look to the yellow circle in the upper right, you'll see that the grills narrow to about half the width and are not as open.  

I think if they had installed the very large drain grills the entire length of the road, and not just in some sections, along with a better system to handle the water once it enters the drain pipes, the flooding would be much less.  It looks like they cheaped out with what was installed.  When we get a heavy rain,  the mostly closed drain grills with just slits in them are not open enough to let the water drain well.  They might start with re-doing those sections so the whole length of the road has the larger, open drain grills to handle large amounts of rain runoff better.  

1 hour ago, newnative said:

I live on Pattaya Beach Road at the north end and walk the Promenade.  One thing I've noticed with the big flood control project they did is the road drain grills that run along the whole length of the road.  They are shown in your picture.  If you look, in some areas they are very wide and the drain grills are very open--the circled yellow in the lower left of your top photo.  If you look to the yellow circle in the upper right, you'll see that the grills narrow to about half the width and are not as open.  

I think if they had installed the very large drain grills the entire length of the road, and not just in some sections, along with a better system to handle the water once it enters the drain pipes, the flooding would be much less.  It looks like they cheaped out with what was installed.  When we get a heavy rain,  the mostly closed drain grills with just slits in them are not open enough to let the water drain well.  They might start with re-doing those sections so the whole length of the road has the larger, open drain grills to handle large amounts of rain runoff better.  

Indeed even the larger grates for drainage should have been larger. But how can you expect good design when they are challenged here  on even designing a plastic pull top on any container correctly: the connection between the "pull" and the top is supposed to be stronger than the connection between the top and the container.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pomchop said:

Hey at least they got all those pesky shade trees cut down and hauled away so there would be no chance that their roots might help prevent at least some of the beach erosion.

The few trees that were there and where they were wouldn't have any effect. And it's not "erosion" that is the problem, it is "flash flooding".

To prevent erosion, the entire beach would - literally - have to be covered in trees. However that still wouldn't stop the wash-outs caused by massive amounts of water being funneled into small channels aimed straight at the sand.

And if they planted trees directly in the channels that wash out each time, all that would happen is the water would wash away the sand/dirt around the tree roots and the trees would be knocked over by the torrents of water.

(You can see how deep the channels are that happen each time it washes out, and that's with the industrial sized sand bags underneath. Normal trees wouldn't stand a chance.)

On 9/3/2021 at 3:29 PM, newnative said:

Can't say I agree with doing the entire road side drains. The water that does the damage is that which flows down the main roads onto Beach Rd. Do what is simple enough to catch that water and send it through very large pipes out to sea and the problem would be solved, IMO.

However, the real problem may be that ( as some posters have mentioned ) there is no desire in city hall to actually fix the problem, for the obvious reason.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

. Do what is simple enough to catch that water and send it through very large pipes out to sea and the problem would be solved, IMO.

Right. How many times do I have to say this project to "simply" catch the water and send it out to sea was tried and failed about 5 years ago. https://www.pattayamail.com/news/beach-road-drainage-system-50-complete-50204

11 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Can't say I agree with doing the entire road side drains. The water that does the damage is that which flows down the main roads onto Beach Rd. 

Here are the too narrow grates @newnativeis referring to. Most ridiculous thing I have ever heard of. And also shown the failed  shambles of that major project that had submarine pipes going out 200 meters into bay. The only simple solution these folks are capable of: Forget pipes. Just construct open concrete spillways from beach road and across the beach to bay. Maybe 4 from North to South. 

IMG_20210905_112829.jpg

IMG_20210905_113200.jpg

2 hours ago, morrobay said:

Just construct open concrete spillways from beach road and across the beach to bay. Maybe 4 from North to South. 

That idea has merit, but only need one on end of North, Central and South Roads, IMO.

Seems they are incapable of working out how big a pipe is needed to take maximum flow, so an open canal across the beach would work if large enough and sides high enough. They could even rent boogie boards for adventurous sorts to ride the flood into the bay.

However, as it would actually work, I doubt it would be considered, for the usual reason that has been given multiple times on this thread.

• Like 1

I lived in Soi Buakhaow 13 18 years ago, over the road from the newest of the hospitals. The unmade road was finally getting built. As I'm a plumber with vast drainage experience I took interest in the construction. I got talking to a guy who I presume was a civil engineer about the drainage problems he suggested that when the job is completed Soi Buakhow will be flood free. Lo and behold the main drain was holding water even before it rained. 

On 9/3/2021 at 10:04 AM, Kerryd said:

Just like the leaky roof joke. Can't fix it when it's raining. When it stops raining, it doesn't leak so no need to fix it.

And yes, lots of people expected the tunnel to flood as almost every other project the city has done (to prevent flooding) was a failure, so why not the tunnel.

However, as was pointed out, the underpass went through a natural "high point" in the land and the Central Road/Sukhumvit intersection never flooded before, unlike the intersections on each side of it (South and North Pattaya Roads) which are in natural depressions.
As such, it is unlikely to get the volume of water that other areas experience.

I noticed the other day when I went through there after we'd had a heavy rain. The North and South Pattaya intersections were lakes but the underpass was clear. I was checking out the drains on the sides as we drove through, noting they weren't very large - and weren't plugged with garbage.

The beach on the other hand. They know where the water flows because they built channels into the walkway that allow water to flow directly from Beach Road onto the beach.
This is a pic (google street view from Oct 2020) of the promenade across from Central Festival. Note that they lowered the sides along the road so the promenade is level with the road, and then there's the ramp leading down to the beach.

As though it was specifically designed to channel water towards the sand. (Lol - otherwise it might go the other way and flood the bottom of Central Festival instead !)
b-1a.jpg.b42263d0c6b28d092d5fd0821d8bc8f1.jpg

Here's the pic of the same spot from the other way (looking towards Central Festival) from the OP's post:
b-1b.jpg.a9ab9ff666c43cdd052aa8a5da16c217.jpg

Gee, I wonder why the sand gets washed away every time it rains (hard) in Pattaya ?

Hmmmm, doesn't seem to be any explanation for it at all !!

You've all been told many many times " it's designed to do this " ????????????