Qatar Airways - how is the service to the U.S.

bookstore

I am returning to the US in a few weeks and booked a ticket on Qatar airlines. It was actually one of the best flights I could find but it seems to me that it is going the wrong way. BKK to Doha is going the wrong way. I usually fly to HK or Taiwan but there flights right now did not serve my needs.

I don't know what to say or think. Why would flying westward be "the wrong way" when Doha bears WNW of Bangkok? If you wanted a shorter travel time, you should have considered booking a flight via Incheon or Tokyo (if available).  

• Like 1

Qatar Airways is a great airline and like you said some great ticket prices now ( spend another 1500 and get yourself a Qsuite in business ) "wrong way" its not all that much further over Europe - Altantic - west coast USA than the Pacific to west coast.....

• Like 1

BKK-DOH = 6 hours

DOH-LAX = 15.5 hours

Total = 21.5 hours on Qatar

BKK-NRT = 6 hours

NRT-LAX = 9.5 hours

Total = 15.5 hours on ANA/JAL or partners.

Simple geography shows it's a lot further and looking at flight times on line confirms this, and that it is indeed the "wrong" way if you want the shortest route.  However lots of people do it and you have to take more into consideration than just the extra flight time.  Saying that it is significantly more so other factors would have to be quite convincing for most people to do it.

What made you choose this route over others?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, treetops said:

BKK-DOH = 6 hours

DOH-LAX = 15.5 hours

Total = 21.5 hours on Qatar

BKK-NRT = 6 hours

NRT-LAX = 9.5 hours

Total = 15.5 hours on ANA/JAL or partners.

Simple geography shows it's a lot further and looking at flight times on line confirms this, and that it is indeed the "wrong" way if you want the shortest route.  However lots of people do it and you have to take more into consideration than just the extra flight time.  Saying that it is significantly more so other factors would have to be quite convincing for most people to do it.

What made you choose this route over others?

Then the other way is longer when you go back. Really not a big difference and Qatar is a good airline. It's always quicker to go "East" from Thailand to USA and then going west to get back to Thailand. Flying from NYC or Boston is almost exactly the same either way by many airlines too. JAL charges more usually. Business class on Qatar is awesome. 

Have flown Qatar many times to the states. Always first class service in all classes and Doha airport is like a 5 star hotel. Like someone said you always fly to Doha,  that is Qatar's hub. Also remember in aviation routes the jet stream at altitude also effect the time of flying, Sometimes the longest route is the quickest. Try Qatar, you will not be disappointed. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, bookstore said:

I am flying from Doha to LA  I live about 40 miles west of the city

Polar One route, all north, then all south for DOH-LAX.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/QTR739

Neighbors flew BKK-DOH-LAX two weeks ago, QR 741 for the LAX sector. Commented that the flight was nearly full, and quite long, ~ 16:15. An hour late leaving DOH as they waited for some connecting PAX.

There are two dailies I think for DOH-LAX: QR 739 and QR 741 - maybe one is seasonal? And two-stop service via a number of other gateways on B6 and AA.

No doubt a longer journey (to the western third of the U.S.) but QR has a decent schedule, price, equipment, service, partners. Their ticketing policies are also some of the most flexible.

One-stop service via NRT is probably the shortest duration? ~ 18 hours on JL or NH?

• Like 1

I frequently use Qatar to fly from bkk to lax.  I’ve always had excellent experiences with them.  The airport in Doha is great.  The service on the planes is always excellent.  The planes themselves are new and although the flight from Doha to Lax is quite long,the entertainment system provides a lot of selections to pass the time.  Dress comfortably, sit back and enjoy the flight. Oh, and drink plenty of water and don’t sit in your seat the entire time…get up and walk around……

If possible, upgrade to business.  The Q Suite experience is well, well worth the extra cost.  Either way, economy or business, you’ll find it a better experience than JAL.  I did….many time!

Edited by Tracyb
  • Like 1

For SFO or LAX I normally fly EVA. Great airline and short trip. However this time they have cancelled me twice as Taiwan is closed to transfers at least through September. I switched to Singapore airline. BKK to SFO is about 20 hours each way including a transfer in Singapore. The flight from Singapore to SFO and maybe LAX also is only Business class and Premium Economy. if you get the timing right Premium Economy is only about $1,250RT! Very good airline also.

They also fly to Phuket if you need that on return?

19 hours ago, CANSIAM said:

Qatar Airways is a great airline and like you said some great ticket prices now ( spend another 1500 and get yourself a Qsuite in business ) "wrong way" its not all that much further over Europe - Altantic - west coast USA than the Pacific to west coast.....

I'm with you all the way. QSuites are out of this world. To worth the price for such a long flight. Best business class accommodation I've ever used by far. Staff have always exceeded my expectations as a regular business flyer to.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Tropposurfer said:

I'm with you all the way. QSuites are out of this world. To worth the price for such a long flight. Best business class accommodation I've ever used by far. Staff have always exceeded my expectations as a regular business flyer to.

Agreed, the A380 Business Class stand up bar with the bench seats for turbulence drinking is quite an experience as well, think I spent 5.5 hours in there on a 6.5 hour flight BKK-DOH ( pre pandemic ), had to sober up quickly for Qatari immigration.  The 777 AND 787 are great business as well and staff. Qsuite - close that sliding door and during these times a sense of even more Covid protection.  I'll be onboard in March BKK - SEA. !

• Like 1

To fly from BKK to the west coast of the US I prefer EVA, China Airlines, and Singapore.  After those three I like Korean and Asiana.  The service on all three is very good.  The airfare is cheaper than Qatar and the total time in the air plus layovers are quite a bit less.  All fly to the major west coast cities of LA, San Fran, and Seattle except China Airlines as they don't fly to Seattle anymore.

Qatar is a very good airline too but in my experience just not as convenient as the other carriers.