COE - How Long Time In Beforehand???

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You need to apply for it at least 15 days before the day your flight departs.

Normally the do not issue the COE until 3 or 4 days before you flight.

So does that mean if you roll the dice on non refundable flight tics and your COE gets denied you have to eat the cost?

@glegolo18, @ubonjoe: According to a document on the website of the Thai Embassy in Bern (where I did get my COE), there are NO minimum or maximum days when you can apply for the COE before the flight. However, two things must be kept in mind:

1. The COE validity according to this document is 30 days. 

2. The number of processing days depends on the Embassy (workload, staffing), Bern took 28 hours from when I started until they issued the COE. Of course, I had all documents ready and was able to upload everything within minutes of getting to the next stage.

37 minutes ago, CHEYENNE5668 said:

So does that mean if you roll the dice on non refundable flight tics and your COE gets denied you have to eat the cost?

That would be correct, yes. HOWEVER: most airlines in this time offer free - and sometimes unlimited - postponement of flights, so you could still use the flight at a later stage, once you sorted the COE problem. 

Also, there is no waiting period for the COE process. Once you know the reason for the rejection, remediate the problem and start again, if you started early (see my previous post), your flight will probably still be valid.

Apply whenever you're ready to travel. However, once you do, the clock is ticking. Mine was preapproved within 48 hours.  You then have 15 days to upload the following: Flight itinerary, COVID insurance policy, and ASQ reservation. Final approval was almost immediate once that was done. So, the process was quick. I'm guessing not many applications at this point in time, so no backlog to delay things.  

• Like 1

I have flown home to Thailand after work ( onboard a ship ) 4 times since the pandemic  started & have applied for COE usually 3 weeks in advance no problem . The 15 days that are referred to is 15 days you have to attach your flight details & asq booking etc after your initial COE application 

I applied for COE and got pre approval in 48 hours - from London. Than booked flight and hotel (coming via Phuket sandbox) paid for PCR tests and uploaded got COE very next day from London although my flight is on 5 October 2021.

20 hours ago, Swiss1960 said:

That would be correct, yes. HOWEVER: most airlines in this time offer free - and sometimes unlimited - postponement of flights, so you could still use the flight at a later stage, once you sorted the COE problem. 

Also, there is no waiting period for the COE process. Once you know the reason for the rejection, remediate the problem and start again, if you started early (see my previous post), your flight will probably still be valid.

What happen if my Tourist Visa (TRV) is approved but my COE application got delayed? I have to buy an air ticket and submit my departure date to apply for the TRV first then the COE. If the COE were to delay beyond my departure date, do I have to reapply for STV? Thanks.

21 hours ago, Swiss1960 said:

Ok Thanks

20 hours ago, Flying Saucage said:

For instance for Hua Hins opening on October 1, it is not possible to apply at all now. Wonder when it will be possible.

This opening is not yet approved.  There may be developments following tomorrow's CCSA meeting.

On 9/7/2021 at 8:32 PM, ubonjoe said:

This was my experience (L.A. embassy). I submitted all documents on 25 August. I didn't get the COE until 9 September, 4 days before my flight.

2 hours ago, scoutman360 said:
On 9/7/2021 at 8:32 PM, ubonjoe said:

This was my experience (L.A. embassy). I submitted all documents on 25 August. I didn't get the COE until 9 September, 4 days before my flight.

It seems experience seems to vary on this.

The first time I entered Thailand, there was no online CoE process so it was a little ‘jumbled up’ - communication was direct with the Thai Embassy in the UK, at the time there was some back and forth as to who approved the CoE; MFA or the Embassy. MFA being much slower to approve finally delegated authority to the Embassies and the process smoothed out, I received the CoE and Thai Embassy issued Flights 2 weeks in advance of travel. 

The second and third times I applied for the CoE the process was extremely quick (Qatar).

Second time: It took 3 hours from Start of the application process to receiving the CoE - I received the CoE 4 weeks before travelling (I had all the required documents ready from previous travel). 

Third CoE application was via the SandBox route, it was the hotel's themselves that slowed down the process to 3 days as I had to wait a couple of days for the SHABA certificates, otherwise the process was extremely quick and efficient - I received the CoE 16 days before travel. 

I liked the fact that the CoE’s were issued in a timely manner a couple of weeks before travel, it took some of the ‘edge’ off. Regardless of how many times I’ve gone through the process, it always feels like ‘building a house of cards’ and one slip-up and they all come tumbling down !! (i.e. pre-flight covid test !!... or Embassy issuing the CoE to a wrong e-mail address etc).

--------

As a precaution - Book Hotels through Agoda or some other hotel which offers ‘risk free booking’ and are fully refundable up to a day or two before arrival.

This is more difficult with flights, but secure flights which are fully refundable if CoE has been refused, or of you test positive on your pre-flight PCR test. 

The PSAS PCR test booking is refundable (minus a 5% service charge) if you are unable to travel.