Custom-made PC?

Why Me

1 minute ago, Why Me said:

Thanks but Pantip's huge. Any particular shop you have dealt with?

Several of them, I'd go to IT City, you may pay more but the job will be good. I haven't had any bad experiences anywhere there. Just make sure you specify branded parts. I can't rememebr the names because it's been a couple of years since I was there. It's not as sleazy as the article makes out.

Edited by ozimoron

I would take a knowledgeable friend along on the first visit and let him do the initial discussions.  Even the good shops like IT City can have rouge sale-people.

I always make out I am a novice when I first visit any computer shop for the first time and listen to the "advice" I am given.  If it is a load of "bull" I tell them so and walk.

I have found some very good and some very bad places as a result.

On a side note I find if the salesperson is good and you are not too specific on brands etc that they can offer some very good non-mainstream alternative solutions.

• Thanks 1

InvadeIT, they charge 1,000 baht for assembly. They have a decent HW selection.  https://www.invadeit.co.th/

Advice, either directly or via one of their retail outlets also offers a build option. They are the largest VAR in Thailand. Many shops purchase from them.  https://www.advice.co.th/

This can all be done virtually, no need to go any place, assuming those places are actually open.

And one firm recommendation, buy ASAP as prices/availability are only going north/south. Also: integrated graphics.

Retail prices are tightly controlled here, so shop on availability, word of mouth, return policy and build/shipping prices.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Then a separate graphics card is essential,

Of course, but as these are all but unavailable then one is forced to the integrated graphics option, while waiting for a graphics card to become available.

The AMD Ryzen 5600G (and a B550 MB) is probably OK for the OP, but that's just my guess. Need to hear their applications and budget. Not sure if we're talking 20,000 or 50,000?

4 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Of course, but as these are all but unavailable then one is forced to the integrated graphics option, while waiting for a graphics card to become available.

The AMD Ryzen 5600G (and a B550 MB) is probably OK for the OP, but that's just my guess. Need to hear their applications and budget. Not sure if we're talking 20,000 or 50,000?

Unavailable?

https://www.invadeit.co.th/category/video-cards/

18 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Unavailable?

Well, in my defense I did say

25 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

all but unavailable

so you're a bit selective on the quoting.

When I checked InvadeIt a few days ago - I'm working on a build for a friend just now - all eight pages of graphics cards showed as NOT AVAILABLE.

Today, I see there are some options on the first page, but not sure if these are within the OPs budget.

I suspect for those not aware of the current market, that graphics card prices might induce choking.

When I say:

On 9/18/2021 at 7:34 AM, mtls2005 said:

Also: integrated graphics.

it's meant as a "consideration", and not some kind of declarative statement of the only option.

But people need to comment I guess.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Not sure if we're talking 20,000 or 50,000?

16 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Then a separate graphics card is essential, and possibly cost more than your motherboard.

You guys seem to know what you are talking about. Appreciate your advice. So here's what I have in mind.

My existing system which I have been pretty happy with it except it's starting to act up now and then, hence thinking of replacing:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 @ 3.2 GHz
RAM: 16GB
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 4GB
Storage: 2 x 1TB HDD
Motherboard: ASUSTek B150M-A

PROPOSED

CPU: 1151 Intel Core I7-9700K @ 3.6 GHz (without CPU cooler)
RAM: 32GB
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Storage: 1TB SSD

Motherboard: ?

I am not a hardware expert. I just looked up online for moderate upgrades to my existing system. Budget? I can go up to 50k but would prefer nearer 30k. Again, many thanks for your input.

14 minutes ago, Why Me said:

You guys seem to know what you are talking about. Appreciate your advice. So here's what I have in mind.

My existing system which I have been pretty happy with it except it's starting to act up now and then, hence thinking of replacing:

PROPOSED

I am not a hardware expert. I just looked up online for moderate upgrades to my existing system. Budget? I can go up to 50k but would prefer nearer 30k. Again, many thanks for your input.

Plenty of good advice here with regard to shops, maybe go and speak to all of them and get their ideas but I find Lazada the best place to buy, I will buy parts from Advice, JIB, banana and other smaller sellers - prices can go up and down over the weeks and months, so I keep an eye out and buy from anyone who has the best price on the day.

You seem to have made up your mind on processor, I find Reddit a great place to get suggestions - you might find an idea for a mono there - there are plenty of guys with plenty of suggestions without a vested interest in selling you something.

As it goes, I was just looking on lazada at the price of graphics cards after the comments above and the 1060 is something that caught my eye as reasonable and adequate for my needs, not too sure about your needs.

What are you using your machine for?

Edited by recom273

1 minute ago, Why Me said:

Software development with a fair bit of animation involved. I am not  a gamer though so don't need bleeding edge.

I am looking at the 1060 now, for my purpose, its limited to 2 video transcodes but you can apply a crack patch and it will do far more, so I think its a pretty reasonable bit of kit for your use (damn, I didn't want to spend any more money)

Maybe, upgrade your mobo to a X150 or X170?

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Why Me said:

PROPOSED

Why not simply solve the "acting up" issue?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bruno123 said:

Why not simply solve the "acting up" issue?

Good question. Well, the acting  up is a bunch of things, it's freezing, the graphics goes nuts every so often and there's a sound problem so I am scared it's going to die on me right in the middle of something important.

Which of course doesn't answer why not try to have it repaired. The it's 5 years old and I do have a budget for a new one.

Edited by Why Me

Just now, Why Me said:

Good question. Well, the acting  up is a bunch of things, it's freezing, the graphics goes nuts every so often and there's a sound problem so I am scared it's going to die on me right in the middle of something important.

Which of course doesn't answer why not try to have it repaired. The it's 5 years old and I do have a budget for a new one.

Five years old ???? That's almost new. Wotcha going do with the old one? Throw it away?

Run some tests: https://www.raymond.cc/blog/having-problems-with-video-card-stress-test-its-memory/

Might be your Motherboard failing. PSU? Both relatively cheap to replace. You need to buy an SSD anyway.

Reuse, don't throw away.

• Thanks 1

Do you have a knowledgable friend to help assembly? For my last build I bought some parts from banana IT, some from lazada and just do the build at home. Can easily get it thousands of baht cheaper if you take your time and buy the offers on lazada. For the video card I bought second hand with 2 year guarantee. First one broke after 3 months. Second one has been going nearly 3 years now.

36 minutes ago, elcaro said:

Do you have a knowledgable friend to help assembly? For my last build I bought some parts from banana IT, some from lazada and just do the build at home. Can easily get it thousands of baht cheaper if you take your time and buy the offers on lazada. For the video card I bought second hand with 2 year guarantee. First one broke after 3 months. Second one has been going nearly 3 years now.

My last PC build I bought the parts I needed from JIB here in Pattaya's Tuk Com, I spoke with the guys and made sure all components will work together, then I brought all the new parts along with my old parts (PC case, power supply) to a neighborhood computer repair guy and he assembled it for 500B, it runs fine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bbko said:

My last PC build I bought the parts I needed from JIB here in Pattaya's Tuk Com, I spoke with the guys and made sure all components will work together, then I brought all the new parts along with my old parts (PC case, power supply) to a neighborhood computer repair guy and he assembled it for 500B, it runs fine.

JIB will assemble too won't they?

1 hour ago, Why Me said:

JIB will assemble too won't they?

Yes they will, I only brought it to the neighborhood computer guy because of past positive dealings and he's always willing to add a few programs at no additional cost. 

22 hours ago, bbko said:

Yes they will, I only brought it to the neighborhood computer guy because of past positive dealings and he's always willing to add a few programs at no additional cost. 

But from where do those programs come? Better do it yourself as and when you need the program instead of letting a 'neighbourhood computer guy' install on your PC.

• Like 1