Covid insurance for 78 year-old

I live in Chiang Mai, am married to a Thai woman and have a Marriage Visa which is valid until Dec 1. I also have a re-entry permit that is valid until Nov 15. I am currently in the U.S. and making plans to return to Thailand in mid-October. I'm hopeful that by the time I return insurance and quarantine requirements will relax but at the moment, that is all unknown.

So far, I've been unable to find any insurance that will cover me because of my age. I'm 78 years old, physically very active, in perfect health and have no preexisting conditions of any importance.

Can anyone suggest an insurance vendor that might be able to insure me.

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Edited by AlaskaDave
minor

@ubonjoe

Thank you for the information. The dates on my Visa expiration and re-entry permit are both Nov 15, my mistake. I need to call my visa agent to learn exactly which type of visa I have . The nomenclature of the various visas is endlessly confusing to me. One of my older visa stamps has RETIREMENT stamped at the bottom while the newer ones I've received since I've got married to a Thai woman (3 years ago) have nothing to indicate married status or anything else. In 2018, I did apply for and received what I loosely refer to as a Marriage Visa, whatever the official nomenclature for that is.

I did a run through of the insurance application at the link you supplied and my age did not disqualify me. That's a good result. However, the amount they demand varies depending on the type of visa or visa extension one has, so I'm still not sure how much it will cost me until I learn the proper Thai designation of the visa I currently have.

Thanks again!

Edited by AlaskaDave
correction
  • Like 1

I see OP found a insurance as suggested but just for others looking & assuming travel insurance will cover as it usually has....

I was recently looking at my usual IMG travel insurance & they do cover Covid

as stated below

https://www.imglobal.com/coronavirus

I have a short-term IMG travel medical insurance plan and I have departed my Home Country/Country of Residence – am I covered if I contract COVID-19?

Most of our travel medical plans provide coverage* for COVID-19 related care if you have purchased and entered the destination country prior to either: 1) the CDC issuing a Warning Level 3 (avoid nonessential travel) for your Destination Country; or 2) a government agency of your Home Country publishing or issuing a Travel Warning or Emergency Travel Advisory regarding your Destination Country. Eligible Medical Expenses that may be considered for coverage include, but are not limited to, charges for illness, injury or medical evacuation.

But as also stated only if CDC warning is below level 3

So looking at what warning level CDC now has for Thailand

it is not looking good

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/covid-4/coronavirus-thailand

COVID-19 in Thailand

Level 4: Very High Level of COVID-19 in Thailand

Key Information for Travelers to Thailand

• Avoid travel to Thailand.
  • If you must travel to Thailand, make sure you are fully vaccinated before travel.
  • Because of the current situation in Thailand, even fully vaccinated travelers may be at risk for getting and spreading COVID-19 variants.
  • See recommendations for fully vaccinated travelers.
  • See recommendations for unvaccinated travelers.
  • Travelers should follow recommendations or requirements in Thailand, including wearing a mask and staying 6 feet apart from others.
  • Quick guide for travelers.

10 minutes ago, AlaskaDave said:

The dates on my Visa expiration and re-entry permit are both Nov 15, my mistake. I need to call my visa agent to learn exactly which type of visa I have . The nomenclature of the various visas is endlessly confusing to me. One of my older visa stamps has RETIREMENT stamped at the bottom while the newer ones I've received since I've got married to a Thai woman (3 years ago) have nothing to indicate married status or anything else. In 2018, I did apply for and received what I loosely refer to as a Marriage Visa, whatever the official nomenclature for that is.

You have been getting one year extension of stay not a visa. A visa is only issued by a embassy or consulate and they cannot be extended.

If you were getting extensions based upon marriage you would  know it. It requires copies of your marriage certificate, a recent Kor Ror 2 printout and copies of your wife house book registry and ID card. Also you would get a under considerations stamp with report back date 30 days later and that is when your extension of stay stamp is done.

Look in your passport to see if yougot 2 stamps when you did your extension. 

• Like 2

I am definitely getting my extensions based on marriage — we have filed so many papers it's hard to count them all; kor ror 2, house book, marriage cert from Hang Dong, photos, etc. etc., so I know I have it. I just don't know the correct terminology for what I have.

None of the recent Immigration stamps (except the one I mentioned above), have any extra stamps that I can see, although my passport pages are such a mess I fail to see how anyone knows what's going on LOL. All stamps specify a requirement to report to Immigration by a certain date but that's all I can determine.

So, in your opinion, and with much more experience than me, what type of "visa" do I have?

20 minutes ago, AlaskaDave said:

So, in your opinion, and with much more experience than me, what type of "visa" do I have?

Non-O since you are not on a extension of stay based upon retirement.

The pages for my extensions of stay have a handwritten note in Thai at the top stating they are for marriage to a Thai and how many I have gotten. My most recent one has number 14 at the end of it.

6 hours ago, AlaskaDave said:

I did a run through of the insurance application at the link you supplied and my age did not disqualify me. That's a good result. However, the amount they demand varies depending on the type of visa or visa extension one has, so I'm still not sure how much it will cost me until I learn the proper Thai designation of the visa I currently have.

The premium for 1 year is B43,200 originating from the US, it's the same regardless of the visa category selected, according to the link https://covid19.tgia.org/.   The only things that alter the premium is the period of coverage or country of origin.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

10 hours ago, farang51 said:

Insurance or covid insurance as it says in the topic? If the latter, the one you can buy from TGIA works until 99 years old.

https://covid19.tgia.org/

A friend with a retirement extension of stay wants to get back into Thailand.   He doesn't care about the actual coverage, only that it satisfies the legal requirement.  

On the TGIA website the policy premium depends on length of coverage.  Can he choose the cheapest 30 day coverage if his intention is to stay around 8 months.  Or must he choose coverage to match his extension of stay termination?  Or to the date that he plans to leave Thailand?

12 hours ago, AlaskaDave said:

Can anyone suggest an insurance vendor that might be able to insure me.

The official $100,000 Covid-program insures after origin destination, not age, you can book insurance - and also verify 3rd party insurance - HERE.

6 minutes ago, shortstop2 said:

On the TGIA website the policy premium depends on length of coverage.  Can he choose the cheapest 30 day coverage if his intention is to stay around 8 months.  Or must he choose coverage to match his extension of stay termination?  Or to the date that he plans to leave Thailand?

The site also states on the "Itinerary Detail" page that the coverage has to be for the entire duration of stay in Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, shortstop2 said:

It has to be valid for the length of stay given when entering the country. In your friends case it must be valid to the day his extension and re-entry permit expires.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It has to be valid for the length of stay given when entering the country. In your friends case it must be valid to the day his extension and re-entry permit expires.

Thanks Joe!

Near expiration time, will he then be able to apply for a one year extension stay without explicit Covid coverage?

34 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Dhipaya Health have a policy with maximum age of 99 years.

Suggest you google them. 

Then I suggest you find out if that is only renewal or if a person over 75 can sign for a new insurance? After that, you are welcome back. ???? 

Actually over 70, only renewal i the case of Diphaya. Sorry Dude!

2 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Then I suggest you find out if that is only renewal or if a person over 75 can sign for a new insurance? After that, you are welcome back.

The discussion is about covid 19 insurance not standard medical insurance.

Dhipaya and others offers it to the age of 99.

6 hours ago, AlaskaDave said:

I am definitely getting my extensions based on marriage — we have filed so many papers it's hard to count them all; kor ror 2, house book, marriage cert from Hang Dong, photos, etc. etc., so I know I have it. I just don't know the correct terminology for what I have.

None of the recent Immigration stamps (except the one I mentioned above), have any extra stamps that I can see, although my passport pages are such a mess I fail to see how anyone knows what's going on LOL. All stamps specify a requirement to report to Immigration by a certain date but that's all I can determine.

If its just Covid Insurance you require, I am the same age and have cover for 1 Year thro DHIPAYA for B850. If that helps?

28 minutes ago, Al BB said:

If its just Covid Insurance you require, I am the same age and have cover for 1 Year thro DHIPAYA for B850. If that helps?

He needs the $100,000 covid 19 insurance required to apply for a certificate of entry.

The 850 baht insurance only covers 100k baht for treatment.

• Thanks 1

Let me be clear. I am looking for insurance that will cover me for $100,000 should I get Covid in order to apply for my Certificate of Entry (COE).

The various passport stamps are a mess and I can't see any extra stamps or numbers that appear to count the number of times I've applied for what I assume is a "Non Imm" extension because my reentry permits all say "Non-Imm" at the bottom.

Ubonjoe wrote replying to my question asking what sort of visa I have, "Non-O since you are not on a extension of stay based upon retirement."

So, does Non-Imm equate to Non-O?

Also, I'm pretty sure that the Thai government, in an effort to increase tourism, will soon eliminate the requirement for this Covid-specific insurance, consequently I would hate to waste money on a policy that lasts an entire year. If I buy a RT ticket for say 3 months, I could get away with spending less but still be legal. I could then rebook my ticket for a later departure if and when the Covid-specific insurance requirement is dropped.

Thanks for all the help up to now. My main reason for posting this has been resolved. I was worried that at my age I might not be able to buy insurance at all. But that worry has been laid to rest.

Edited by AlaskaDave
grammar

8 hours ago, AlaskaDave said:

Reading what you posted before you are on a non-o visa. You certainly do not appear to be on a Non-OA visa.

I have recently seen non imm used on a vaccination registration website. Non immigrant visas can have many different reasons for issuance and could be B, O, R,  F and etc.  There are also ones like the of OA that has the extra letter behind them.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AlaskaDave said:

Effectively, yes. It has become the norm to refer to visas or extensions as Non-O, Non-B Non-OA etc, but they are all "Non-Immigrant" visas/extensions because unless you have Permanent Residence or citizenship you are not applying for the settled status of an immigrant and must keep applying to renew your stay or get a new visa. So I am on a Non-Immigrant 'O' extension, which in shorthand on this forum is known as a "Non-O".

Edited by Eff1n2ret
  • Like 1