GERD and sore thraot

alexi333

Hi, i have hiatal hernia, open sphincter and problems with GERD, it provokes sore throat.

Do you know any syrup or mouthwash to help with pain, anti-inflammatory and protect the esophagus ? Moreover, to treat GERD, i tried Vonopraxan, Omeprazole and Nexium. Nothing really help. Do you any other treatment please ?

Thanks a bunch

• Like 1

I have been prescribed Dexilant 60 and 30 MG in the past.  For me it has been effective in controlling symptoms of GERD.  On the negative side Dexilant is very expensive(a month supply cost cost 6000 Baht).  The 6000 was at a private hospital and I could not find a pharmacy that had Dexilant.  Consider making an appointment with a Gastroenterologist and ask him about Dexilant.  

• Like 1

Almost 20 years ago I had GERD really bad.  I tried antacids, over the counter and doctor prescribed H blockers. Raised the head of my bed until I was almost standing, began sleeping in a chair---- Nothing worked, One day I was working at a house owned by a nurse, She told me to stop taking anything and carry a bottle of water around with me. She said just sip often, don't drink it as the water could make it worse, just keep washing the throat with the water. I don't remember how long it took, but it went away and I have had very little problem with it since. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I want to add that I almost went and had that procedure where they somehow stitch a knot in your esophagus where from then on, as the doc said " everything from then on goes south, you can't even vomit" I somehow didn't feel comfortable with that even if I hadn't vomited in years.

2 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

I have been prescribed Dexilant 60 and 30 MG in the past.  For me it has been effective in controlling symptoms of GERD.  On the negative side Dexilant is very expensive(a month supply cost cost 6000 Baht).  The 6000 was at a private hospital and I could not find a pharmacy that had Dexilant.  Consider making an appointment with a Gastroenterologist and ask him about Dexilant.  

I got Dexilant 30mg at Fascino for 2,300 baht for a month, also the same pice at RSU Healthcare.

I found for my Gastritis Omeprazole worked just as well, so I stopped Dexilant after one month

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Like 1

Are you at all overweight? As losing weight can be the single most effective thing you can do for hiatus hernia & GERD

Also make sure not to lie down within 2 hours of eating. And sleeping with your head up somewhat is helpful.  You can get special wedge pillow for this purpose on Lazada https://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.search.1.7e0751e60fuJSp&q=wedge pillow&_keyori=ss&clickTrackInfo=textId--3437558565911396659__abId--217103__pvid--cbd0f343-066d-4e19-b0b4-e60e68140278__matchType--1__srcQuery--wedge pillow__spellQuery--wedge pillow&from=suggest_normal&sugg=wedge pillow_0_1

Or from Amazon

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Are you at all overweight? As losing weight can be the single most effective thing you can do for hiatus hernia & GERD

Also make sure not to lie down within 2 hours of eating. And sleeping with your head up somewhat is helpful.  You can get special wedge pillow for this purpose on Lazada https://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.search.1.7e0751e60fuJSp&q=wedge pillow&_keyori=ss&clickTrackInfo=textId--3437558565911396659__abId--217103__pvid--cbd0f343-066d-4e19-b0b4-e60e68140278__matchType--1__srcQuery--wedge pillow__spellQuery--wedge pillow&from=suggest_normal&sugg=wedge pillow_0_1

Or from Amazon

thanks, for your answer, i'm not on overweight....

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/26/2021 at 10:54 PM, Sheryl said:

Or from Amazon

Hello, thanks for your advice. just one question please : if i go sleep more than 4 hours after eat, do you think i really need this kind of pillow because my stomach is supposed to be empty ?

14 hours ago, alexi333 said:

Hello, thanks for your advice. just one question please : if i go sleep more than 4 hours after eat, do you think i really need this kind of pillow because my stomach is supposed to be empty ?

I would try it. You may still regurgitate stomach acide (which will be all the mroe acidiic for nto having food in it.).

Also use the pillow when reclining for any reason (i.e. reading, watching videos etc).

Regarding weight loss, you do not have to be overweight to benefit from it. Especially for someone with a hiatus hernia, weight loss is very helpful and the only situation where I would nto recommend it is where someone is already underweight. It is simple physics; the more mass you have in your abdominal area, the more upward pressure there is on the stomach.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/25/2021 at 8:49 PM, alexi333 said:

Hi, i have hiatal hernia, open sphincter and problems with GERD, it provokes sore throat.

Do you know any syrup or mouthwash to help with pain, anti-inflammatory and protect the esophagus ? Moreover, to treat GERD, i tried Vonopraxan, Omeprazole and Nexium. Nothing really help. Do you any other treatment please ?

Hello. I was diagnosed in my mid-thirties with a hiatal hernia and GERD.  I dont have the open sphincter issue though. I had an upper GI endoscopy.  Im 66 years old now.  Over the years gastroenterologist have changed up my medication because after a while they would not work as well.  For a number of years I have been using Rabeprazole 20 mg each day which has seemed to work.  Sometimes though even with the medication the GERD will act up.  But it will lessen the acid.

I know of no syrup or rinse to protect the esophagus. It is protected with oral medication to lessen the acid production.  If the reflux is bad please be careful with this.  You dont want to develop a condition called Barrett's Esophagus.  

How long has this been going on?  I suggest you see a gastroenterologist.  Have you discussed these issues with the doctor who has been treating you for those conditions? If you havent had an upper GI endoscopy lately you might need a follow up.  

Also.  The medications used to treat the reflux such as Omeprazole, Nexium, Rabeprazole.  They can deplete your calcium level.  You should take a calcium supplement while using them.

Edited by swm59nj
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Sheryl said:

I would try it. You may still regurgitate stomach acide (which will be all the mroe acidiic for nto having food in it.).

Also use the pillow when reclining for any reason (i.e. reading, watching videos etc).

Regarding weight loss, you do not have to be overweight to benefit from it. Especially for someone with a hiatus hernia, weight loss is very helpful and the only situation where I would nto recommend it is where someone is already underweight. It is simple physics; the more mass you have in your abdominal area, the more upward pressure there is on the stomach.

thanks Sheryl for your advice, i will follow it, i lost 8kg in 3 months...

5 hours ago, swm59nj said:

Hello. I was diagnosed in my mid-thirties with a hiatal hernia and GERD.  I dont have the open sphincter issue though. I had an upper GI endoscopy.  Im 66 years old now.  Over the years gastroenterologist have changed up my medication because after a while they would not work as well.  For a number of years I have been using Rabeprazole 20 mg each day which has seemed to work.  Sometimes though even with the medication the GERD will act up.  But it will lessen the acid.

I know of no syrup or rinse to protect the esophagus. It is protected with oral medication to lessen the acid production.  If the reflux is bad please be careful with this.  You dont want to develop a condition called Barrett's Esophagus.  

How long has this been going on?  I suggest you see a gastroenterologist.  Have you discussed these issues with the doctor who has been treating you for those conditions? If you havent had an upper GI endoscopy lately you might need a follow up.  

Also.  The medications used to treat the reflux such as Omeprazole, Nexium, Rabeprazole.  They can deplete your calcium level.  You should take a calcium supplement while using them.

Thanks Mate, i did 2 endoscopy already, Esomeprazole (nexium), omeprazole and Lansoprazole doesn't work for me, it's been 1 week i take Rabeprazole, i feel a bit better. Do you think probiotics can help ?

Fatomide

You can sometimes buy it over the counter in Pattaya, Bangkok, etc.

The "Bangkok" private hospitals located all over Thailand sell them at around 5 baht a tablet.

You can show them this picture.

IMG_20211009_191601.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Fatomide

The "Bangkok" private hospitals located all over Thailand sell them at around 5 baht a tablet.

IMG_20211009_191601.jpg

Thanks i have never heard about it

22 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Fatomide

IMG_20211009_191601.jpg

This is a H2-receptor antagonist in  the same drug family as (and chemically related to) ranitidine.  Like PPIs (omeprazole etc), these drugs decrease the production of acid in the stomach, thus reducing the acidity of stomach contents.

One would not usually take it along with a PPI, but rather take one or the other class of drug.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

This is a H2-receptor antagonist in  the same drug family as (and chemically related to) ranitidine.  Like PPIs (omeprazole etc), these drugs decrease the production of acid in the stomach, thus reducing the acidity of stomach contents.

One would not usually take it along with a PPI, but rather take one or the other class of drug.

Interesting, thanks to share !

13 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

I'd prefer that.

But for some reason It's hard to get up here in Issan.

Ranitidine has been pulled from the market in many countries as ti has been found to yield a toxic carcinogen upon disintegration. (NMDA)

While Thailand has not issued a recall as far as I know, most doctors have stopped prescribing it.

You really do nto want ranitidine. Famotidine is a better choice if you want a drug in this class.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Ranitidine has been pulled from the market in many countries as ti has been found to yield a toxic carcinogen upon disintegration. (NMDA)

While Thailand has not issued a recall as far as I know, most doctors have stopped prescribing it.

You really do nto want ranitidine. Famotidine is a better choice if you want a drug in this class.

I thought they've resolved that problem. 

Guess not.

https://www.pintas.com/zantac-lawyer/when-will-zantac-be-back-on-the-market/

• Like 1

The docs are way too quick to get you on the PPI's. They did it to me and made me worse as it was low stomach acid that was my problem which they exacerbated by prescribing PPI's.

Symptoms of low stomach acid can mirror GERD/GORD. What happens is due to you not having sufficient acid, the transit of the food is slowed and to put it simply rots in the gut and any gas/acid only has one way to go which is upwards.

I think it's generally accepted that as we age our ability to produce the acid required to service the gut properly is reduced, hence low stomach acid or hypochlorydria.

I'm not saying you suffer from this by the way but advise you to check it out as if you're on PPI's or H2 Blockers i'd consider that akin to chucking petrol on a fire if indeed you did suffer from LSA.

Sore throat from acid reflux ,try gargling with salt and water in the morning for 1 minute . 

I take 20mg of Miracid(omeprazole) one in the morning and one before dinner (5pm).

I was diagnosed with Laryngopharyngeal reflux,silent reflux.

No acid or heartburn but constant mucus and hacking all day long!

I noticed it was tolerable when I lost weight, stopped coffee, beer,sweets ,many fruits and dairy products.

Vegetable's and  baked chicken are my friends.

• Like 2