Pfizer vaccine for Thai nationals?

Fortean1

My wife is Thai.  She refuses to accept Sinovac.  We live near Hua Hin.  How would I help her get vaccinated with Pfizer?

Her hospital is the government hospital, Pran Buri Hospital.  We visited last week and were told Sinovac only, no mention of 2d dose being AstraZeneca.  Only medical staff and Thais going overseas for business and schools can get Pfizer.

Terry

( a few miles south of Hua Hin )

Edited by Fortean1
Typo
  • Sad 1

My wife is the same Terry. I don't think the government are doing two shots of Sinovac anymore. I think it is all one shot Sinovac plus one shot Astra Zeneca for Thais. She won't get Pfizer at the moment but the government is buying a lot so maybe in the future?

What about Sinopharm? Chulabhorn have that.

Edited by Chris.B
  • Like 1

Thank you for your reply Chris.

Pfizer should be more and more available.

We can't go to Bangkok as the sister-in-law in Lat Phrao asked us not to come as we were not yet vaccinated.  A hotel is something we haven't tried for 13 years.

I had my 1st Pfizer dose on 23 September; 2nd Pfizer dose o/a 13 or 14 Oct.

"I Want To Believe" does reflect my interest in the UFO phenomenon.  I am neither a hostile skeptic nor a true believer.

some  expats, who got recently pfizer, will be selling off their moderna - that one might be coming already in october, albeit small quantities yet.

you can still order moderna for the next year, that would be second generation. Coming between january and july.

In august british chamber of commerce were handling out the AZ, that including thai citizens. Check with them if they have any left. I thing they were doing it only in bangkok, but that is just a few h drive from HH. You can do it in one day even by public transport

Edited by internationalism
  • Like 2

Both me and the wife got Pfizer when we were in the US last spring,

Yesterday we took sister in law to Bangkok hospital here in Khon Kaen and registered her for the Moderna vaccine , it was 3,300 baht .for both shots They said they will be injecting in three groups (SIL is in group one) from Oct 1st to January.

We will see.

but you can check with Bangkok hospital near you to see if they have the same. 

15 hours ago, sirineou said:

Yesterday we took sister in law to Bangkok hospital here in Khon Kaen and registered her for the Moderna vaccine , it was 3,300 baht .for both shots They said they will be injecting in three groups (SIL is in group one) from Oct 1st to January.

We will see.

How can she be in group 1 if you only registered her yesterday? 

• Like 1

I work on a foreign vessel here. About 11 crew from various countries and 2 Thais.

I find it weird.

We have managed to get vaccinated one way or another with az or Pfizer. However when enquiring about vaccination they said the only option for the 2 Thai crew was Sinovac. So one of them remains unvaccinated.

The wifey and I called Bumrungrad Hospital, around August 1. We were both scheduled for our first Pfizer on or around the 20th of August. We received a message shortly after that, that our second Pfizer jabs were scheduled for the 17th of Sept. We live in Kanchanaburi, are far from rich, and are now fully vaccinated.

There was talk of 1st AZ then 2nd Pfizer program starting in October and my Thai gf ( 40 yr old ) was hoping to get this. But it seems to have disappeared off the map to be replaced with a 1st shot Sinovac program !!

Now she is hopeful of a walk-in Sinopharm program coming here ( Ayutthaya ) instead of the AZ/Pfizer .

As many others she is wary of Sinovac due to the bad press it has received.

Teenagers were due to get 1 shot of Pfizer but sounds like they are now getting 1 shot of Sinopharm !! With all the Pfizer that is reportedly due to arrive this year it’s difficult to know where this is destined ??

Maybe the major plan now is 1 SV, 2 AZ, booster Pfizer ??

I have no idea and am not sure the government has either !!

On 10/1/2021 at 9:01 AM, Kwasaki said:

My wife and her family are being vacinated because I explained to them that there is nothing wrong with Sinovac and told them the truth instead of stupid Thai uneducated speculation that's being banded about all vaccines never mind just Sinovac. 

I know two Thais who happen to be rich and have had Pfizer and went a private hospital in Phisanulok and paid for it.

China Vaccine Diplomacy Wavers as Nations Seek Western Shots

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/china-vaccine-diplomacy-wavers-nations-035710049.html

9 hours ago, Chris.B said:

How can she be in group 1 if you only registered her yesterday? 

Bangkok hospital in KK is amazing in their ability to process quickly, also the numbers in different categories are not as large as you may think. I registered on Saturday 4 weeks ago and was scheduled for vaccination the day after calling, from my registration number there were less than 500 foreigners registered with them then. Due for my completed course tomorrow.

FWIW this is the government free vaccination scheme not a private paid for one.

If tomorrow is a similar day to last month they will process about 4,500 shots

Edited by sometimewoodworker

On 10/1/2021 at 12:15 AM, Chris.B said:

My wife is the same Terry. I don't think the government are doing two shots of Sinovac anymore. I think it is all one shot Sinovac plus one shot Astra Zeneca for Thais. She won't get Pfizer at the moment but the government is buying a lot so maybe in the future?

What about Sinopharm? Chulabhorn have that.

Yes they're buying it for themselves, and students, while they give useless sinovac to the rest of their older population . San state of affairs 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Tony125 said:

China Vaccine Diplomacy Wavers as Nations Seek Western Shots

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/china-vaccine-diplomacy-wavers-nations-035710049.html

News and news and more news. 

sinovac has been approved by WHO. 

The thing is with threads like this ANF members know more than Scientists and doctors.????????????

22 minutes ago, john thom said:

Yes they're buying it for themselves, and students, while they give useless sinovac to the rest of their older population . San state of affairs 

Another ANF scientist amazing. ????????

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

News and news and more news. 

sinovac has been approved by WHO. 

The thing is with threads like this ANF members know more than Scientists and doctors.????????????

Sinovac is almost useless for Delta.

Chinese don't even take it.

• Like 2

On 10/1/2021 at 3:25 AM, sirineou said:

Both me and the wife got Pfizer when we were in the US last spring,

We will see.

but you can check with Bangkok hospital near you to see if they have the same. 

Someone told me the Bangkok hospital in Khon Kaen offers Moderna for 2500 bahts per shot (as of yesterday, a Thai person told me). That would make a hefty cost of 5000 bahts for the 2 shots required. Is that true?

Edited by gejohesch
forgot sthg
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

Sinovac is almost useless for Delta.

Chinese don't even take it.

Old news from back in June 2021.

Fed up with reading about it my wife has had Sinovac and may get AZ second or another Sinovac. 

Then apparently if 2 Sinovac is given another Sinovac booster at some time or AZ if it becomes available.

My view is any vax is better than no vaccine. 

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, The Theory said:

I got Sinovac and I'm still here alive, no problem. Thais better do check-up for their hidden health problems before getting any vaccine, not only Sinovac. 

Sinovac has only 53% efficacy (against hospital infections) and antibodies decline rapidly to "undetectable" after 6 months for the vast majority. 

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/antibodies-sinovacs-covid-19-shot-fade-after-about-6-months-booster-helps-study-2021-07-26/

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, rbkk said:

Sinovac has only 53% efficacy (against hospital infections) and antibodies decline rapidly to "undetectable" after 6 months for the vast majority. 

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/antibodies-sinovacs-covid-19-shot-fade-after-about-6-months-booster-helps-study-2021-07-26/

That's why booster shots are being sorted out. 

its get tiresome trying to reach out to those that are unwilling to learn, all vaccine work as intended, doesn't matter how long the vaccine will last or any vaccine taking, if the virus does not go away everybody will need to be vaccinated again and again until it is gone, 50%-90% effectiveness vs 0% protection or go into hibernation, has been more than a year going into covid it's getting old, natural selection so let it be.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

Old news from back in June 2021.

Fed up with reading about it my wife has had Sinovac and may get AZ second or another Sinovac. 

Then apparently if 2 Sinovac is given another Sinovac booster at some time or AZ if it becomes available.

My view is any vax is better than no vaccine. 

That's sad 

Why?

Pfeizer is available.

Sinovac is better than nothing.

Edited by MrJ2U

16 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

That's sad 

Why?

Pfeizer is available.

Sinovac is better than nothing.

All I know is our Local govt hospital vaccinated Thais and my Mrs with Sinovac and others with Sinofarm they wouldn't give me Sinovac they said I'd have to wait until they receive Pfizer which they did in August and had my 2nd in September. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Kwasaki said:

All I know is our Local govt hospital vaccinated Thais and my Mrs with Sinovac and others with Sinofarm they wouldn't give me Sinovac they said I'd have to wait until they receive Pfizer which they did in August and had my 2nd in September. 

Stay safe.

Enjoy your weekend.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rbkk said:

At the least it's a damn good stop-gap that can SAVE LIVES!

• Like 2