Are you still able to live comfortably?

georgegeorgia

9 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Yeah, but those 'Colonel Blimp' type guys are the first to call everyone else thieves and fraudsters.

I'm thinking a big helping of MYOB is in order on this one.

I have no problem calling a thief a thief, or a fraudster a fraudster..... someone taking benefits they are not entitled to by law is doing that. So many feel defrauding the government does not count..... 

And you seem to be another who likes to call my type childish names....

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I have no problem calling a thief a thief, or a fraudster a fraudster..... someone taking benefits they are not entitled to by law is doing that. So many feel defrauding the government does not count..... 

And you seem to be another who likes to call my type childish names....

"Not entitled to by law"  If you could ever so kindly show a passage where the "law" stands on this?   PS  and any and all punishments that the DWP avails themselves on these miscreants.....and above all else the following passage

"  In respect of pensions,fraud undermines the  
value In respect of pensions,fraud undermines the  value of income for
people at a time of life when sources of income become more limited, and the chances of financial recovery  for people at a time of life when sources of income become more limited, and the chances of financial recovery are reduced"   Govt funded survey    Thinking of poor little Annie SA  16 pound odd a week     She will be dead by now  impoverished soul

Thank You

Edited by fredscats
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Irate priest said:

I'm no expert on this but i believe most are leaving because the proof of income for residency is out of reach for a lot of people. I don't think you can use an agent in Spain

Yes proof of income,is my hopefully future bolt hole,  but will SP be frozen there too come 2023?

22 hours ago, sandyf said:

How many plan for an acrimonious divorce? and invariably a one sided outcome.

100% correct. Who gets married expecting to lose a lot or even most in a difficult ending? My biggest asset, my house was lost to such an event, the repercussions of which make my life far more difficult today than it would have been had I never become embroiled with a bad woman.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Yeah, but those 'Colonel Blimp' type guys are the first to call everyone else thieves and fraudsters.

I'm thinking a big helping of MYOB is in order on this one.

This is laughable,..is          MYOB  after countless years of threats of doom to those who oppose frozen pensions and doing something about it,years of it,to no avail....Im still here doing the same thing,others not so ,but I see jealousy raising its head here....Who is the thieving and fraudster Col. Blimp?

12 hours ago, Irate priest said:

I'm no expert on this but i believe most are leaving because the proof of income for residency is out of reach for a lot of people. I don't think you can use an agent in Spain

Same for Thailand.  Once embassies stopped issue 'income statements', and Thailand went to "Show me the Money" policy, many could not, so had to leave.  

Stopping the fraud, a very good thing.  Would imagine it also had a positive effect on the "unpaid hospital bill" issues, as not hearing about them as much.

Tourist required to have health insurance, another plus.  Not as many "Go fund my stupidity" news-blips also.

Edited by KhunLA

7 hours ago, fredscats said:

"Not entitled to by law"  If you could ever so kindly show a passage where the "law" stands on this?   PS  and any and all punishments that the DWP avails themselves on these miscreants.....and above all else the following passage

"  In respect of pensions,fraud undermines the  
value In respect of pensions,fraud undermines the  value of income for
people at a time of life when sources of income become more limited, and the chances of financial recovery  for people at a time of life when sources of income become more limited, and the chances of financial recovery are reduced"   Govt funded survey    Thinking of poor little Annie SA  16 pound odd a week     She will be dead by now  impoverished soul

Thank You

Not my place to educate you,,, but on a simplistic level, a person sat near me in January. in Thailand, is spending his 200 quid heating allowance, he is not entitled to, and it would be better spent on poor little Annie.....

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Not my place to educate you,,, but on a simplistic level, a person sat near me in January. in Thailand, is spending his 200 quid heating allowance, he is not entitled to, and it would be better spent on poor little Annie.....

No , you know nothing,of the individual,or anything else. By word association related to your posts,Id say an idiot was at play

20 hours ago, Irate priest said:

Same for Thailand.  Once embassies stopped issue 'income statements', and Thailand went to "Show me the Money" policy, many could not, so had to leave.  

Tourist required to have health insurance, another plus.  Not as many "Go fund my stupidity" news-blips also.

Its not "income statements" its the jokers putting 800,000 into a bank and living off fresh air

Spain,almost there few years back,but disclosure of worldwide income, and tax was an issue,have the pensions that get me over the threshold,still looking into the health insurance issues now brexit rules the waves,even being charged for having bank account there,if health insurance becomes an issue in Thailand especially for age,yes forced out

On 10/5/2021 at 7:55 AM, Mike Teavee said:

I take it you don't live in Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket, Koh Samui etc... then as 12K would be subsistence living in any of those places & I'm also guessing you own your own property/transport in which case you're not really living on 12K as you've got the sunken investment of the X Millions you paid for your home/transport.

E.g. I could pay my rent for 5 years in advance & claim that I live on a lot less than I do, but I would be fooling myself if I thought that. 

Of the top of my head, my bare minimum budget (assuming I kicked the GF out) would be:-

- Rent - 10K (I can't live in a Studio so need at least 1 bedroom) 

- Utilities - 4K (Electricity, Water, Internet, Mobile)

- Health Insurance - 3K (I'm 55 so this is only going to go up) 

- 500 THB pd Food (Groceries & Eating Out) - 15K

... So I'm up to 32K pm just to get by. 

IMHO 66K is a little on the low side (80K would be a more realistic number) if you want to really enjoy your retirement (Travel, Play Golf etc...), but if you're happy to stay at home & not do very much then you can do it on less as others have shown, but 12K pm is way beyond low.

I agree with the subsistence living comment, but there are many very liveable places in Pattaya which will give plenty of change out of 8,000 a month. In fact 8,000 is at the top end of what needs to be paid. Yes I am talking about accom cost only. 

Where else in all the suggested alternatives outside of Asean would you get decent accommodation and, more importantly, in a decent neighbourhood for that. 

Edited by rott
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

You can easily find places for 8000 or less, countrywide.  Just depends on one's preferences, wants & needs.

I pay 6000, and if not having a dog, could have same townhouse a few doors down for 3500.  Not Krung Thep or Patts, but I've searched and found plenty there for 8000 or less. 

Daughter lives in a very nice place, convenient to everything for 10k @ Krung Thep.

18 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

You can easily find places for 8000 or less, countrywide.  Just depends on one's preferences, wants & needs.

I pay 6000, and if not having a dog, could have same townhouse a few doors down for 3500.  Not Krung Thep or Patts, but I've searched and found plenty there for 8000 or less. 

Daughter lives in a very nice place, convenient to everything for 10k @ Krung Thep.

And I pay 28K for my Condo... Feel free to leave a comment... 

Am I doing something wrong? am I an "Idiot"? Nah, I'm just living my life as you are so yet again... 

You do You... (& guess what), I'll do me & I pray we're both happy in our lives  

Edited by Mike Teavee

14 minutes ago, rott said:

Please show me where I have called you an idiot. 

Though reading your post I am beginning to suspect a few "issues". 

I know I have Issues, but which ones are you "Suspecting"?

OK, need to apologise here as I thought I was replying to the thread that went on a rabit hole of discussing  Frozen UK Pension (wait, it was this one) & called people idiots for taking a different path...

Fact is we all find our own "Path" "Groove" "Whatever" here in Thailand & I for one am very happy to live here 

Edited by Mike Teavee

21 minutes ago, rott said:

I was not speaking about my own or anybody else's lifestyle, just curious if anywhere else in the world has similar acceptable property prices. 

And I know the difference between too and to, and how to spell labei. 

Reading your post I am beginning to suspect a few "issues". 

For fun... Show me where I made any reference to you not knowing the difference between "too" & "to"...  

Edited by Mike Teavee

11 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

I know I have Issues, but which ones are you "Suspecting"?

OK, need to apologise here as I thought I was replying to the thread went on to discusse  Frozen UK Pension (wait, it was this one) & called people idiots for taking a different path...

Fact is we all find our own "Path" "Groove" "Whatever" here in Thailand & I for one am very happy to li e here 

Must be embarrassing for the one who gave you a like, to see that you were actually responding to a different post in a different forum. 

But no harm done. 

Just now, Mike Teavee said:

Now you really have <deleted> me off...  Show me where I made any reference to you not knowing the difference between "too" & "to"... 

Easy to play the "Nit Pick" game... 

No, in your post you do not know the difference. 

26 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

And I pay 28K for my Condo... Feel free to leave a comment... 

Am I doing something wrong? am I an "Idiot"? Nah, I'm just living my life as you are so yet again... 

You do You... (& guess what), I'll do me & I pray we're both happy in our lives  

My reply simply followed yours, if replying to you, I would have quoted you.  I was agreeing with the comments prior to yours.

But ... 'feel free' so I shall, curious, and only if you've been there for a while, and plan on staying, why not simply buy a condo in your bldg or elsewhere in Patts.  Putting out $336 a year is a big chunk to rent, unless a very large condo and a great value.  I've noticed some nice condos, not large, in the < 2 mill range.  Would think a buyer's market at present.

Not a condo fan myself, prefer lots of space (house) and own yard / privacy.  See the attraction though.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

My reply simply followed yours, if replying to you, I would have quoted you.  I was agreeing with the comments prior to yours.

But ... 'feel free' so I shall, curious, and only if you've been there for a while, and plan on staying, why not simply buy a condo in your bldg or elsewhere in Patts.  Putting out $336 a year is a big chunk to rent, unless a very large condo and a great value.  I've noticed some nice condos, not large, in the < 2 mill range.  Would think a buyer's market at present.

Not a condo fan myself, prefer lots of space (house) and own yard / privacy.  See the attraction though.

Been here 2 months & no plams to stay here at all, I just took advantage of Covid Pricing to stay in a place that I (could but never would) afford to stay here... 

I've clearly not got my "Message" across on this thread at all but in essence.. Live Your Life... & Let Others Live Their Own... whatever that might be... 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

If you have seen any 80sqm+ condos in the <2M range I'd be very interested as I'd love to buy a place

(even if it has to be in the GF's name) somewhere around Pattya that we could call home.

Again, I live in my current Condo because it was such a bargainfrom normal pricing... I could afford to live here at the normal price but (IMHO) I would be an idiot to (Not that I would call anybody anything for living their live as they choose to)....

52 minutes ago, rott said:

I was not speaking about my own or anybody else's lifestyle, just curious if anywhere else in the world has similar acceptable property prices. 

And I know the difference between too and to, and how to spell labei. 

Reading your post I am beginning to suspect a few "issues". 

I could argue that you cannot show where I suggested there was a difference between "Too" or "To" Or  somehow suggested you spelt Lable wrong... (my autocorrect can never spell excersise but always spells lable right!)  

But any-how, just wanted to make peace... at the end of the day we are all on the same side & trying to help each other along on our journey in Thailand... I really enjoy these kinds of threads as I always learn something from them...

If you feel like I do/say something wrong then call me out, but I do it from my experience so am going to "Defend" that point of view... 

Peace? 

12 hours ago, rott said:

I agree with the subsistence living comment, but there are many very liveable places in Pattaya which will give plenty of change out of 8,000 a month. In fact 8,000 is at the top end of what needs to be paid. Yes I am talking about accom cost only. 

Where else in all the suggested alternatives outside of Asean would you get decent accommodation and, more importantly, in a decent neighbourhood for that. 

There are so many places,many of them,for a single guy a condo probably the best,there is one that was going for 7500,top end too,too posh for me,but I have mutts,so its a house,my friend lives in one (house)5000 a month,there are so many falling vacant,the choice is all yours

7 hours ago, KhunLA said:

I didn't catch the handbags @ 20 paces, but I don't think 2 mill for housing, gives anyone bragging rights.  Actually inexpensive, and if you couldn't afford to spend near that, if buying, one may want to reconsider their choice of living internationally.

I can't afford any other option than to live internationally.

Britain is way too expensive for me.

I'm living comfortably in Thailand, but I'd be a (homeless) pauper in the UK.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, fredscats said:

There are so many places,many of them,for a single guy a condo probably the best,there is one that was going for 7500,top end too,too posh for me,but I have mutts,so its a house,my friend lives in one (house)5000 a month,there are so many falling vacant,the choice is all yours

For me it's important I have a place that I can enjoy spending time in, especially during current Covid times when it has sometimes been difficult to get out & about. 

This means I need a minimum of 1 bedroom (cannot sit in the same room 24x7 so a Studio is out) + I need an extra bedroom for when my parents (1 month per year in normal times), mate (once per month) & the GF's friend (once every 4-5 months) come to visit. 

Having lived through Covid with the GF for the first 16 months I also realised I needed a 2nd bathroom so that got added to the list for the new place. 

I did look at houses & even agreed a deal on one near the beach in Jomtien, but after sleeping on it I realised it was too big for just the 2 of us & too much hassle to keep clean plus I'd miss the gym & pool parts of living in a condo.  NB I don't drive (no license since my UK one expired in 2013) or ride a motorcycle so being out in places like the darkside felt too far out for me, since using Bolt taxis a lot I've changed my mind on this point.

Also, I love dogs (though prefer cats) but living next to neighbours with ones that bark all day long would drive me up the wall so I try to avoid places where there are lots of dogs (funny enough my condo allows dogs under a certain weight, fortunately the windows are pretty sound proof here as one of the little sh1ts barks/cries/whines from about 6am to 9am every morning).

The unit I'm in now costs me more than I want to pay but as I'm doing very little travelling at the moment I was happy to pay it.  I fully expect the landlord to jack up the rent next year by which time we'll hopefully be able to travel easier again & I'll move into a much cheaper place (would guess around 1/2 of what I'm paying now)... But it will still be 2br 2bth for the reasons I've mentioned above. 

Again, it's too each his own, I see guys houses in Udon Thani & Chiang Mai and think I want one of those, but they tend to come with needing to have a car or a motorcyle & gym membership   

• Like 2