Electric vehicles of all kinds

Kanada

20 minutes ago, seedy said:

Broken and abandoned EV from a car share company in China, leader in EV R and D 555

And the pic does not show the total number

ev.jpg

gofun.jpg

Not sure what your point is. The cars were abandoned because the rideshare company they belonged to went bankrupt. It has nothing to do with the reliability of electronic vehicles. See quote below from an article on this.

China Insights explained how the Chinese government’s volatile policies have led to broken capital chains for many companies in the business of online car-sharing to abandon the new cars. Because their business operations are no longer sustainable, some companies chose to abandon these low-end vehicles.

This Chinese EV tech startup left thousands of its electric cars to rot after filing for bankruptcy

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, seedy said:

Broken and abandoned EV from a car share company in China, leader in EV R and D 555

ev.jpg

gofun.jpg

Truly an excellent point you make. It looks like the jig is up and the EV market is revealed to be nothing but empty hype...oh wait a minute...

Hertz Reaffirms Massive Tesla Order, Taking Model 3 Deliveries

Rental car giant Hertz ordered 100,000 Tesla Model 3 cars to add to its rental fleet last year. Since then, analysts and Tesla enthusiasts have been trying to learn more about when the cars would actually start getting delivered...

Hertz also confirmed that they were getting the Model 3 deliveries for their Uber fleet, which is another 50,000 cars that the company intends to add by 2023.

https://cleantechnica.com/2022/02/08/hertz-reaffirms-massive-tesla-order-taking-deliveries/

1 hour ago, placeholder said:

Truly an excellent point you make. It looks like the jig is up and the EV market is revealed to be nothing but empty hype...oh wait a minute...

Hertz Reaffirms Massive Tesla Order, Taking Model 3 Deliveries

Rental car giant Hertz ordered 100,000 Tesla Model 3 cars to add to its rental fleet last year. Since then, analysts and Tesla enthusiasts have been trying to learn more about when the cars would actually start getting delivered...

Hertz also confirmed that they were getting the Model 3 deliveries for their Uber fleet, which is another 50,000 cars that the company intends to add by 2023.

https://cleantechnica.com/2022/02/08/hertz-reaffirms-massive-tesla-order-taking-deliveries/

Maybe Hertz can actually start taking delivery now that they're out of bankruptcy.

As my profile picture attests. I am happily living in Thailand and driving a car powered by sunshine.

I am no longer going to waste my time fact checking anti EV/Renewable rubbish. Instead I will continue to block anyone who demonstrates that they are in fact an idiot   

icon5.jpg

Never Argue with stupid people.jpeg

Edited by Bandersnatch
  • Haha 2

On 2/7/2022 at 6:42 PM, Longwood50 said:

You are exactly correct.  If the marketplace was convinced that EV were better there would be no need to subsidize them.  No one subsidizes  Iphones, people pay premium prices for them because they offer superior performance.  Now while the electric vehicles may reduce pollution, they still get their electric from power plants.  In the USA 40% of the electric comes from coal, 40% from natural gas or oil, 10% from Nuclear, and 10% from hydro electric, wind, and/or solar.  

With the environmentalists hating power generating plants if Americans went big for EV they would soon outstrip the ability to supply the electric.  In terms of pollution, those plants that generate using coal, natural gas, or nuclear are hardly pollution free and even wind/solar/hyrdroelectric have their polluting aspects.  That is saying nothing of the billions of miles of electric cable required to transmit the electricity to the users.  

And the batteries are very toxic and hazardous to the environment.  

They have to be replaced and what happens to the old batteries?  Think how many there will be from all the worlds electrical cars!  

41 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Maybe Hertz can actually start taking delivery now that they're out of bankruptcy.

One really good reason to follow up on links is to spare yourself embarrassment. Had you bothered to read the article you would know that they already are taking delivery. In fact, that was the point of it.

On 2/7/2022 at 6:05 PM, KhunLA said:

Especially here in Thailand, where very little < 25% comes from coal or almost non existent use of oil for energy.

30 minutes from my house, and got 2 large solar farms, and the energy 'station' about 3 kms from house in natural gas powered.  All mute for myself, as will be solar, shortly in the future, for charging up my e-motorcycle, e-bike and other lithium battery 'toys'.  Got my eyes on an EV (car), just waiting to see if any incentives come out this year.

Try reading this.  

Also a lot of power is imported. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_in_Thailand

10 minutes ago, placeholder said:

One really good reason to follow up on links is to spare yourself embarrassment. Had you bothered to read the article you would know that they already are taking delivery. In fact, that was the point of it.

I'm not embarrassed. I'm the one trying to explain why private companies would continue building gas-fired electrical generation facilities when renewables are so much cheaper, or why renewables and EVs have to be mandated and subsidized even though they're so much cheaper and better, or having to pretend the fossil fuel industries get huge subsidies. That would be you. 

I think EVs and a lot of renewables are great, I'm just against subsidies, mandates and liars. To be clear, I am not calling you a liar. 

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

I'm not embarrassed. I'm the one trying to explain why private companies would continue building gas-fired electrical generation facilities when renewables are so much cheaper, or why renewables and EVs have to be mandated and subsidized even though they're so much cheaper and better, or having to pretend the fossil fuel industries get huge subsidies. That would be you. 

I think EVs and a lot of renewables are great, I'm just against subsidies, mandates and liars. To be clear, I am not calling you a liar. 

Nice try at changing the subject. Here's what you wrote:

"Maybe Hertz can actually start taking delivery now that they're out of bankruptcy."

What has that got to do with your rant about renewables? You got it wrong and instead of admitting it, are trying to change the subject.

I

1 hour ago, jak2002003 said:

And the batteries are very toxic and hazardous to the environment.  

Those that are advocates of electric vehicles will tell you they will be recycled.  However those same people when told about recycling spent nuclear material for power plants reject that.

There is nothing clean about mining lithium the component required for production of electric car batteries.  There is nothing clean about battery manufacturing and there certainly is nothing clean about recycling or disposal of spent batteries. 

Consider, when an electric car is involved in the USA in an accident a HAZMAT crew is dispatched.  If a gasoline car spills fuel it quickly evaporates with few if any negative environmental consequences.  If the contents of lithium car batteries is spilled it is a significant hazard and very difficult to mitigate. 

I think that the world is pushing towards electrification of cars without giving much attention to the law of unintended consequences.  One of them is lithium is a precious earth material and is limited.  Will there be an alternative to lithium, maybe.  But I hardly want to put all my bets on one horse. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Longwood50 said:

Those that are advocates of electric vehicles will tell you they will be recycled.  However those same people when told about recycling spent nuclear material for power plants reject that.

There is nothing clean about mining lithium the component required for production of electric car batteries.  There is nothing clean about battery manufacturing and there certainly is nothing clean about recycling or disposal of spent batteries. 

Consider, when an electric car is involved in the USA in an accident a HAZMAT crew is dispatched.  If a gasoline car spills fuel it quickly evaporates with few if any negative environmental consequences.  If the contents of lithium car batteries is spilled it is a significant hazard and very difficult to mitigate. 

I think that the world is pushing towards electrification of cars without giving much attention to the law of unintended consequences.  One of them is lithium is a precious earth material and is limited.  Will there be an alternative to lithium, maybe.  But I hardly want to put all my bets on one horse. 

You're the party who shared with us the "fact" the coal produces 40% of electricity in the usa. That was last true in 2013. You clearly aren't  keeping p with developments.

Your remarks are clearly clueless about the concept of relative harm. Yes lithium mining is dirty. How does that compare to fossil fuel mining? Keep in mind that lithium once mined it is usable again and again. In fact, it's even better after it's recycled. Can you say the same for fossil fuels? I think the word "fuels" is kind of a dead giveaway re the answer..

And clearly you don't know that there is a rapidly growing  industry in recycling lithium batteries.

And lithium supply isn't as limited as you might think. There are programs underway to extract it from geothermal sources and from seawater.

As for accidents, when the lithium catches on fire, then the hazmat suits come out. What percentage of accidents involving EV's involve lithium fires. And the technology is already in place to make those fires a thing of the past. Look up blade batteries. And Solid state batteries won't be flammable and they are just starting to be manufactured.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 2/9/2022 at 3:35 AM, seedy said:

ev.jpg

gofun.jpg

I have to ask what you think you are implying....and I suspect you have no idea.

Do you think it possible to open a separate thread for discussing  Thailand specific BEV and  related subjects such as charging at home and on the road without being highjacked by the fossils?

Edited by Klonko
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Klonko said:

Do you think it possible to open a separate thread for discussing  Thailand specific BEV and  related subjects such as charging at home and on the road without being highjacked by the fossils?

Open a new thread, don't make wild claims, and don't respond to people who do. 

Nothing stopping you is there? 

9 hours ago, Klonko said:

Great idea - if you make this very clear in the opening post we can all block the fossils and continue with the discussion without them 

The correct way to reduce greenhouse gas emissions -

Macron announces France is to build up to 14 new nuclear reactors.

The 44-year-old centrist argued that nuclear energy was required to help advanced economies transition to a low-carbon future because renewables were not yet a reliable energy source, nor able to produce the amount of electricity needed.

https://www.france24.com/en/live-news/20220210-macron-calls-for-14-new-reactors-in-nuclear-renaissance

Edited by seedy
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, seedy said:

The correct way to reduce greenhouse gas emissions -

Macron announces France is to build up to 14 new nuclear reactors.

The 44-year-old centrist argued that nuclear energy was required to help advanced economies transition to a low-carbon future because renewables were not yet a reliable energy source, nor able to produce the amount of electricity needed.

https://www.france24.com/en/live-news/20220210-macron-calls-for-14-new-reactors-in-nuclear-renaissance

"Correct"? That merely shows up the paucity of your thinking on the topic. FRANCE has for decades used nuclear power. Whilst some are impressed by its green credentials, others are totally opposed due to the disposal problems.

You appear to be a google reliant one quote wonder.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Looks to be the perfect solution for transport.  More need to invest in the R&D for mass production.  Solves all the hurdles of EV acceptance.  400+ range, more than enough for anyone, and easily 4-6 hrs on the roads here, way more than I want to be in a car.

35 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Looks to be the perfect solution for transport.  More need to invest in the R&D for mass production.  Solves all the hurdles of EV acceptance.  400+ range, more than enough for anyone, and easily 4-6 hrs on the roads here, way more than I want to be in a car.

Unfortunately, it's crazy expensive right now. The base price is $175,000.