Patong still queues for food

webfact

1633315956_1-org.jpg

The queue for food provided by Aland and Sunee through their Hot Meals for All project stretches back every day. Photo: Hot meals for All

By The Phuket News

PHUKET: While tourism officials continue to tout the positive effects of the Phuket Sandbox tourism scheme, at last report claiming the project has helped to inject B2.6 billion into the economy, people in Patong continue to queue for food each day, with husband and wife Aland Tan and Sunee Koyoma continuing their efforts to help those who cannot afford to feed themselves.

Sunee is originally from Saraburi province but has lived in Phuket for the past 16 years. Aland is from Malaysia and has lived in Phuket now for seven years. In pre-COVID days, the couple ran a small restaurant in the beach resort town.

“The situation is bad, 90% of the shops and businesses are still shut down,” Sunee explains.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/patong-still-queues-for-food-81602.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2021-10-04

Hi everyone,

i'm arriving in Phuket october 23. I might join a group distributing food to people there. By taking part financially and, importantly, helping distributing food. I might also organize my own distribution to people in the streets. 

Thai people are amazing people, and deserve help in these hard times. i would be ashamed of myself by going there only for holiday purposes while so many are suffering.

Alain

• Like 2

By the time tourists are back, what businesses will be existent? Will there be any places left to hangout at? This could take a while. I hope the government will be forthcoming with easy loans at nominal fees to entrepreneurs. But probably it will be the loan sharks doing the funding.

Jordan depends on aid, a lot of it American. The king was reported to have a $100,000,000 I property in the US. "Let the people eat dirt" is the official motto.

America and other countries help Thailand, but where are the huge Thai companies? They could have programs to help very small businesses. They could be feeding the starving Thais. If Thais don't care about Thais, why should anyone be expected to?  Dang! I must be having hallucinations!!!

• Confused 1