Pandora Papers expose world leaders’ offshore entities, Thai tycoon families among listed

snoop1130

6 minutes ago, Joules said:
  3 minutes ago, Joules said:

Meanwhile, back in the good old US of A, the Biden Administration wants to put the spotlight on every American bank account worth $600 or more.  Hey man, this ain't no joke, there must be some unpaid taxes in there somewhere.  

Can you better explain, and defend, your claim that "the Biden Administration wants to put the spotlight on every American bank account worth $600 or more."?

Apparently, after the citizen outcry, the plan is being revised.  I am posting a link to Yahoo news, I hope that is legal.  If not, you can Goggle it.  Here's the link:  https://news.yahoo.com/democrats-raise-cap-biden-irs-110000327.html

Reckless hyperbole, while popular, is misleading. 

A proposed requirement, now shelved, to report bank transactions above $600 to the IRS is not "shining a spotlight" on such transactions.  It is very difficult to get the IRS to release the financial data of individuals and businesses.

15 minutes ago, heybruce said:

Can you better explain, and defend, your claim that "the Biden Administration wants to put the spotlight on every American bank account worth $600 or more."?

It is every transaction over $600 that will be scrutinized - that's incoming and outgoing transactions.  Buying a new couch ... they will look at this.

Bump it up to $9,900 per transaction ...

https://www.masslive.com/news/2021/10/biden-administration-proposing-plan-to-track-bank-transactions-of-600-or-more-to-fill-tax-gap.html

5 minutes ago, heybruce said:

Reckless hyperbole, while popular, is misleading. 

A proposed requirement, now shelved, to report bank transactions above $600 to the IRS is not "shining a spotlight" on such transactions.  It is very difficult to get the IRS to release the financial data of individuals and businesses.

Reckless apologist!  ???? ???? ????   How about the big leak?  https://news.yahoo.com/irs-investigating-leak-revealing-elon-203832974.html

Somebody got private data out of the IRS!  Lots of it.

16 hours ago, 2 is 1 said:

Most of  offshore entities  are not illegal!

Funny, that's like the reason President Obama gave for the Department of Justice not prosecuting the bankers in 2009. Of course, "most of" implies that "some of" IS illegal. I don't know about Thai law,  or Finnish or Estonian law, but it's become known that under American law a lot of income that IS taxable gets hidden in Cayman Islands, Lichtenstein, Isle of Man, and Las Vegas. Yes, America provides some of the most opaque tax shelters in the world, but of course we never mention that. Sorry, I'm going off topic. From what I've been able to learn of Thai history, they have reasons to distrust people with foreign connections.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, HaoleBoy said:

It is every transaction over $600 that will be scrutinized - that's incoming and outgoing transactions.  Buying a new couch ... they will look at this.

Bump it up to $9,900 per transaction ...

https://www.masslive.com/news/2021/10/biden-administration-proposing-plan-to-track-bank-transactions-of-600-or-more-to-fill-tax-gap.html

3 minutes ago, Joules said:

Reckless apologist!  ???? ???? ????   How about the big leak?  https://news.yahoo.com/irs-investigating-leak-revealing-elon-203832974.html

Somebody got private data out of the IRS!  Lots of it.

Once again, reporting numbers to the IRS is not the same as "shining a spotlight" or "every transaction over $600 will be scrutinized". 

The fact that an IRS leak makes the news illustrates how rare it is.  The fact that former President Trump has still managed to keep his tax returns secret shows how difficult it is to get the IRS to divulge information without the consent of the parties involved.

If you had simply used "report to the IRS" instead of your ridiculous misrepresentations I would have paid no attention to your posts.  I don't like intentionally misleading post, so I commented.

• Like 1

It must be the six families that own Thailand.

How surprising, NOT.

Its also the ones who own huge amounts of stock in Sinovac.

Of course it will all be just a "misunderstanding".

One has to wonder how long the people can put with this utter disregard and completely corrupted government and those 6 families.

There all intertwined.

Disgusting!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, 2 is 1 said:

Most of  offshore entities  are not illegal! Its only good tax planning. If you have several million's capital, why pay extra tax or tax over tax. I was doing tax planning, my Finnish company owner was my Estonia company whitch was owned company in Scotland. In Scotland i had only adress whit 3 other guy's, one room residence. But if want pay extra tax go for it. Have sold already all, dont know how this company "trik" works now days. But normal things, ofcourse if there is criminal money that kind need find.

The lovelys from the woke media seem to think that because you are tax wise and efficient in the handling of your own personal financial dealings you are fair game for naming and shaming with the inference that what you are doing is illegal.....which is in the main untrue. How said people earned their money is a whole different ball game. In the UK it's one of the wokey's favourite past times (many of whom are taking advantage of the same tax efficiencies with their own personal money), "do as I say, not do as I do". 

17 hours ago, 2 is 1 said:

Most of  offshore entities  are not illegal! Its only good tax planning

I agree.

I think the concern is how did they accumulate this wealth.

Whatever the case nothing will come of it even if its illegal.

• Like 2

And to think that I recently received a letter from the revenue department informing me that they had discovered a calculation error in my income tax filing and that I had to pay an additional 78 baht within 10 days -- or else! 

Edited by Misterwhisper
  • Haha 2

So' what is this Pandora News ? 

Since the AEOI ( authomatic exchange of information ) started , any bank , ( except some few places where I wouldn't suggest to deposit money ) , are subjected to report the beneficiary holdings to the state the beneficiary is resident .

Thailand is in the process to join .

That wealthy Thai business families are using offshore companies is a total non-story. There is nothing illegal about it and they are probably not even avoiding Thai tax.  The earlier Panama papers revealed Thai politicians and civil servants using offshore companies.  Now that was interesting but nothing was done to investigate it, other than probably some negotiations and brown envelopes passed to ensure no investigations. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Dogmatix said:

nothing was done to investigate it, other than probably some negotiations and brown envelopes passed to ensure no investigations.

yeah , quite possible ... when I moved here the container we sent ( full of household stuff ) , was to be inspected ( and opened ) by customs . But we were given the choice to pay a fee for ' non inspection ' ! When it arrived at our place , the container was still sealed . Amazing Thailand .

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, chalawaan said:

Well and good, but unless:

a) They've actually done something illegal outside of Thailand. and

b) an international court takes action.....

It's just a mild embarrassment, in fact some of them might even gain enormous face in the places that matter to them.

Any publicity being good publicity!

• Like 1