Second Hand Rolex Watch

Neeranam

On 10/6/2021 at 8:19 PM, a3tsw said:

alternatively , go onto chrono24 and do a dealer search for Thailand where you will find details of registered dealers , mostly in Bangkok area , there is also a dealer in Khon Kaen who advertises on bahtsold.com

Thanks, I went to a shop in Khon Kaen but they only had 1 watch and was not very nice. 

On 10/5/2021 at 1:01 AM, Airalee said:

Which model? Which style? What size? 

Or do you not care and just want any old Rolex to say you own a Rolex?

I've always wanted a Daytona since watching a Paul Newman movie. 

I like the green and blue faces. 

Why would I only want to say I own a Rolex?

• Like 1

On 10/5/2021 at 2:24 AM, 2 is 1 said:

Why Rolex? Old man watch! Watch for people who want show i have expensive clock! Still most think its fake. Buy some nice new one what only watch people  know its NICE! If only want show then buy Casio LOL

I am only buying it for myself, I couldn't care what others think about it/me. 

I am old - 56. I have other watches and enjoy collecting them but never been able to afford one before now. 

Golden Rolex look like pimp watches imo, but SEA is a a good place to wear those items because anyone expects they are 1k-Baht fakes.

When I was robbed in Laos ages ago, they took my wallet with a few USD but were not interested in my Speedmaster

3 minutes ago, JustAnotherHun said:

Golden Rolex look like pimp watches imo, but SEA is a a good place to wear those items because anyone expects they are 1k-Baht fakes.

When I was robbed in Laos ages ago, they took my wallet with a few USD but were not interested in my Speedmaster

Should have done a Swiss job on them 55

3 hours ago, Neeranam said:

What is wrong with Rolex?

Nothing wrong with Rolex. Had quite a few. Never lost money on them. Even after wearing for years. Always managed to get my money or more back on selling.

Depends on the models that you buy. Daytonas always in strong demand.

Google "Paul Newman Daytona" 

True stories:

I once bought a second hand sought after Daytona while on a trip back to the UK. On the way back to the hotel, I bumped into a friend who upon seeing it offered me £1000 more than I had just paid for it. Sold it for a quick profit.

Another time I ordered another Daytona from the jeweller. Not easy to get. He kept it for me until my next trip back to the UK. When I went to pick it up, he asked if I wanted to sell it as he had a customer willing to pay £1000 more than I paid for it.

I refused and still have that one.

Do your research and pick a sought after model. I haven't looked for a while, but there might be deals to be had due to Covid. People selling because they need cash.

3 hours ago, Neeranam said:

They make an absolutely quality product.

Having said that it is way overpriced in my opinion perhaps doubly so.

There are many excellent watch brands that I would purchase for even less money than buying a Rolex.

If you're looking for a solid, rugged watch then I would look at Omega first.

As for aesthetics there are a dozen different brands I would buy before Rolex.

But to answer your question had to Singapore.

You might find better deals in Hong Kong now the economy is softening there.

Those are both excellent places to buy luxury watches.

Edited by Chad3000
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

How much did the overhaul cost (My Submariner is well overdue a service) 

I paid b16,500 for the full overhaul on my Omega sea master at Swatch

6 years before that it was almost half.

I did have a problem where the power reserve could not get through an evening and they took it back and fixed it up for free so they did honor the warranty.

Edited by Chad3000
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, phetphet said:

Nothing wrong with Rolex. Had quite a few. Never lost money on them. Even after wearing for years. Always managed to get my money or more back on selling.

Depends on the models that you buy. Daytonas always in strong demand.

Google "Paul Newman Daytona" 

True stories:

I once bought a second hand sought after Daytona while on a trip back to the UK. On the way back to the hotel, I bumped into a friend who upon seeing it offered me £1000 more than I had just paid for it. Sold it for a quick profit.

Another time I ordered another Daytona from the jeweller. Not easy to get. He kept it for me until my next trip back to the UK. When I went to pick it up, he asked if I wanted to sell it as he had a customer willing to pay £1000 more than I paid for it.

I refused and still have that one.

Do your research and pick a sought after model. I haven't looked for a while, but there might be deals to be had due to Covid. People selling because they need cash.

Thanks, I'm going to the UK soon, I'll start searching online for good shops. 

2 hours ago, Chad3000 said:

If you're looking for a solid, rugged watch then I would look at Omega first.

As for aesthetics there are a dozen different brands I would buy before Rolex.

I want to buy a few different brands, Omega is one. 

9 hours ago, Neeranam said:

This is just my opinion. Doesn't necessarily apply to you and is intended as a generalization. But...

(i) Rolexes are the most counterfeited watches in the world. Replicas can be bought in varying quality from all kinds of vendors. So my default assumption when I see one in public is that it's not genuine. Of course this depends a bit on how congruent it is with the wearer and other factors.

(ii) Even assuming that you can pull off the look congruently, Rolxes are boring. Like, they're the go-to brand of people who have no genuine passion for horology but want to buy something that they think will make them look cool, and so go for the brand that they know (see also: BMW drivers ????).

(iii) Might be a purchase better avoided. Personal story here, but when I was in my mid-20s a few years ago, I blew part of my annual bonus on a nice watch. I did this for 3 years. Now, in hindsight, that cash would have been a lot better off invested. Sure the watches are cool, but did they benefit my life in any meaningful way? No. And now I rarely even wear them, and don't I expect that to change as smartwatches continue to develop. Obviously if you're older and compounding doesn't matter as much anymore, then opportunity cost won't be as big a consideration. But man, I'm going to miss out on 30+ years of compounding that money, so do consider it.

So in conclusion, blowing Gs on a watch is something most people do to flex. And that's fine. Just make sure that if you do buy one, it's fulfilling the function that you bought it for, and also that you won't regret the opp cost tradeoff later.

8 hours ago, The Cipher said:

This is just my opinion. Doesn't necessarily apply to you and is intended as a generalization. But...

(i) Rolexes are the most counterfeited watches in the world. Replicas can be bought in varying quality from all kinds of vendors. So my default assumption when I see one in public is that it's not genuine. Of course this depends a bit on how congruent it is with the wearer and other factors.

(ii) Even assuming that you can pull off the look congruently, Rolxes are boring. Like, they're the go-to brand of people who have no genuine passion for horology but want to buy something that they think will make them look cool, and so go for the brand that they know (see also: BMW drivers ????).

(iii) Might be a purchase better avoided. Personal story here, but when I was in my mid-20s a few years ago, I blew part of my annual bonus on a nice watch. I did this for 3 years. Now, in hindsight, that cash would have been a lot better off invested. Sure the watches are cool, but did they benefit my life in any meaningful way? No. And now I rarely even wear them, and don't I expect that to change as smartwatches continue to develop. Obviously if you're older and compounding doesn't matter as much anymore, then opportunity cost won't be as big a consideration. But man, I'm going to miss out on 30+ years of compounding that money, so do consider it.

So in conclusion, blowing Gs on a watch is something most people do to flex. And that's fine. Just make sure that if you do buy one, it's fulfilling the function that you bought it for, and also that you won't regret the opp cost tradeoff later.

Some good points, thanks. 

I have seen some fakes in MBK for 3000 baht, but they really looked like the real thing and seemingly had Seiko mechanisms. 

• Like 1

On 10/5/2021 at 12:13 AM, CharlieH said:

By all accounts there is currently a world shortage and 2nd hand are fetching stupid prices and new mors than x2 if you can find one.

IF you can find them be prepared for a shock. ????

Really ? I have a submariner I bought around 1992/3. It was an ever faithful timepiece and I wore it daily. Unfortunately around two years ago it stopped and given the condition of it I was not prepared to pay the crazy price quoted for its repair and refurbishment and hence threw in the cupboard where it remains. Perhaps I should get it out and get it fixed if they are selling for silly prices.

Many Rolex are fake , yes .

Rolex is overpriced , yes

their movement isn't special , yes .

I can't dispute on any of those quotes and i am not a Rolex lover myself .

However , on other points , no other watch ( well there are a few , but not the same well known name ) , does get the peoples heads turning and sell for much more then original pricing . I do make a profit on my originally bought Omega watch , but watching the prices on Rolex from the same date im like "WHAT" .  It s just a fact that most Rolex go up in value quite fast while others are or going down , or stable or go up but in a steady flow while Rolex goes up a lot .

And while there are good copies around , a original is worth so much more , and i do not mean only the resale value but also the value you give it . Anybody owning a original watch in Asia knows what im talking about . And it is not what others think i wear , but it is knowing what im wearing . Rolex is overpriced , yes , 100% , but i do not make the price , it is the people buying who do make that .

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Skallywag said:

Have not owned a watch since I retired.

Watches are obsolete, people just check their phone

LOL

Peace 

Agreed. Rolexs are just for pretentious people who want to say "look at me i am stupid enough to spend 10,000 on a watch".

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Henryford said:

Agreed. Rolexs are just for pretentious people who want to say "look at me i am stupid enough to spend 10,000 on a watch".

There is some amusing judgement of the character of others based a nothing more than a watch…. 

This is more telling of those making such judgements & highlights their bitter and judgmental character more so than any flaw in the character of someone who chooses a Rolex. 

• Like 2

On 10/5/2021 at 8:12 AM, BKKBike09 said:

since it's impossible to go to HK at the moment for non-residents, you'd have to have it sent, and then it would almost certainly get caught by Customs here and be subject to extortionate taxes etc.

Extortionate taxes, etc?  False information.

Import duty is 5% and VAT is 7%, hardly "extortionate".   What is the "etc" that you claim would have to be paid also?

Edited by Liverpool Lou

On 10/10/2021 at 1:47 PM, Will B Good said:

I guess for many it is an item of jewelry and/or symbol of wealth/success...... no different to those ridiculously thick gold neck chains expats seem so keen on (I know.....just jealous)

It's about owning a precision piece of machinery in a digital age. My love for tech makes my love for mechanical watches even stronger.

Send the clue truck round...see you get one.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Rolex does still make some smart looking and performing models. The watches do perform!

Explorer 1, Explorer 2, Milguass, Sub, Dweller.

Obviously, I'm into tool watches.

For this money so many great watches for half the price. Buy 2.

On 10/10/2021 at 1:21 PM, FruitPudding said:

If you care about appearances buy a Rolex. If you care about mechanics buy Seiko.

Rolex movements are no good, then, is that what you're saying?    Mechanically, a Seiko 5 is a better bet than an Explorer?

Edited by Liverpool Lou