Second Hand Rolex Watch

Neeranam

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Extortionate taxes, etc?  False information.

Import duty is 5% and VAT is 7%, hardly "extortionate".   What is the "etc" that you claim would have to be paid also?

Yeah, watches are 5% import duty and 7% VAT. If you hand carry and declare and they accept the declared value, no problem. But I was talking about sending from HK. Then it's 5% on CIF. I wouldn't want to risk a 5000 USD watch or whatever to a courier service un-insured. Plus if you're leaving all the clearance work to the courier, and Customs assess a ridiculous value, then they've got you over a barrel because they have your watch. Sure you may be able to talk sense into them, but who wants the hassle? 

14 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Hahahaha....you think ADs work like that?    If that were the case, ADs would have to have a stock of "popular" models just sitting there doing nothing!   They don't. 

I did this 6 months ago. Bought a THB 1,3 mill. Pearlmaster and skipped the waiting-list for a “Kermit” at retail price.

That’s how it works at my local AD here. Want a popular sports model? Then buy something else first.

3 hours ago, khunpa said:

I did this 6 months ago. Bought a THB 1,3 mill. Pearlmaster and skipped the waiting-list for a “Kermit” at retail price.

That’s how it works at my local AD here. Want a popular sports model? Then buy something else first.

Which AD, where?  Cortina  sure don't work that way.

First AD I've heard about that has a waiting list for the Sub, i.e. established customers waiting to buy, yet it denies them access to one of the most sought after watches, in stock, to sell to someone not on the list, leaving existing customers out in the cold.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

On 10/5/2021 at 8:10 AM, khunpa said:

If you have the cash and looking for a “none-popular” model, then I recommend  you to buy it from an official dealer here.

Because if you do that, you will get the opportunity to buy a popular model at the same time at retail price. If you choose the right popular model, you can then resell that right after with huge profit and you will be left with a very cheap Rolex for yourself.

You will be amazed of how easy a dealer can get a brand new popular model for you, when you buy two watches at the same time here.

Can't even trust the official dealers 100%.  Quite a number of years ago, one of the salespeople at an official Bangkok Rolex shop was caught switching out fakes over the counter to non-discerning customers who thought they were buying genuine.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, dddave said:

Can't even trust the official dealers 100%.  Quite a number of years ago, one of the salespeople at an official Bangkok Rolex shop was caught switching out fakes over the counter to non-discerning customers who thought they were buying genuine.

Yeah, right.

• Like 1

On 10/11/2021 at 8:31 AM, Excel said:

Really ? I have a submariner I bought around 1992/3. It was an ever faithful timepiece and I wore it daily. Unfortunately around two years ago it stopped and given the condition of it I was not prepared to pay the crazy price quoted for its repair and refurbishment and hence threw in the cupboard where it remains. Perhaps I should get it out and get it fixed if they are selling for silly prices.

I'll buy it off you. I'm in Bkk.

RAZZ

To the OP.

I am pretty interested in watches.

I could write a massive post about where to go in Bangkok and buy used. But if you want to meet up I can show you or tell you.

What did you want to buy new? I have a few contacts as my wife was in the industry here.

RAZZ

Edited by RAZZELL

On 10/13/2021 at 6:10 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

It seems that the desperate anti-Rolex brigade with their information and Rolex stories are the same ones who have "Chinese-Thai, self-made business women, loaded with degrees, never been to a bar in their lives" wives!

Weird thing is, If I had a ThaiChinese wife, I'd keep quiet about it. 

The ones that mention it seem to be trying to say, "she's not a hooker", which is nothing to be proud of. 

1 hour ago, RAZZELL said:

To the OP.

I am pretty interested in watches.

I could write a massive post about where to go in Bangkok and buy used. But if you want to meet up I can show you or tell you.

What did you want to buy new? I have a few contacts as my wife was in the industry here.

RAZZ

Thanks, I'll keep it in mind when I go to Bkk next. 

Do you know anything online?

I want a Daytona,or maybe an OP with a green/blue face. 

Edited by Neeranam

On 10/14/2021 at 11:27 AM, Liverpool Lou said:

Which AD, where?  Cortina  sure don't work that way.

First AD I've heard about that has a waiting list for the Sub, i.e. established customers waiting to buy, yet it denies them access to one of the most sought after watches, in stock, to sell to someone not on the list, leaving existing customers out in the cold.

Rolex (Pendulum) in CM. 

They often have several popular models in stock or can get them. 

They will however not sell them to you, unless you buy a high-priced other Rolex watch.

You can get on a waiting list here, but it is basically worth nothing. The deal is buy two to get the one you want. (If a popular model is involved)

Edited by khunpa
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Thanks, I'll keep it in mind when I go to Bkk next. 

Do you know anything online?

I want a Daytona,or maybe an OP with a green/blue face. 

Online in Thailand or in the Uk?

New Ceramic Daytona you will be paying double list price.

RAZZ

On 10/10/2021 at 2:03 PM, Neeranam said:

better fakes here anyway, 3000 baht.

The best fakes coming out of China now can cost up to 3000 USD according to the watch dealers on Youtube. Gentlemen timekeepers on YouTube  (or something similar) are always finding fakes or partial fakes, even from dealers.

• Like 1

On 10/10/2021 at 8:02 PM, Neeranam said:

I want to buy a few different brands, Omega is one. 

Rolex: Any  Daytona, but Panda very sought after, Submariners, inc Hulk (green face and bezel), GMT Pepsi. Half red, half blue bezel.

Maybe have a look at Bremont.

Again, doing research and buying the right model is imperative.

I had two EP120's. Still have one. Limited edition of 120.  Based on the EP120 Spitfire, and some internal parts made from the EP120 when it was rebuilt. So rarity and a bit of WW2 history. Sold one for a fair profit after six years.

Pateks also hold their price, but not cheap. Wouldn't mind a Nautilus with S/S strap myself.

• Like 1

a couple of UK sites that may be of interest to you :- www.watchfinder.co.uk & www.chasingchrono.com , also a lot of good info from Paul Thorpe's youtube Channel.

If in London , check out Grays Antique Market , close to Bond St tube station , several good dealers in there.

Some more , a small arcade on the LHS if coming from Oxford St on New Bond St ,. about 150m.

Royal Arcade further down LHS again on Old Bond St.

For Classic /Vintage Rolex Burlington Arcade.

• Thanks 1

In the USA, you want to deal with Mr. Roman Sharf or his staff at Luxury Bazaar. Prices around 10% over wholesale.

He moves $100 million per year in timepieces and jewelry. Purchases fully guaranteed and he doesn't play any games.

Check out his excellent YouTube channel. 

• Like 1

On 10/16/2021 at 9:45 AM, Neeranam said:

Could be Thailand or the UK as I am going to the UK soon.

Do you any knowledge of this site?

https://www.chrono24.com/rolex/pre-owned-daytona-watches--mod2-used.htm

Chrono24 is a German Company which basically provides a web portal to International watch dealers. 

So, if you see a watch you like - click on "contact" seller and you can see the advertiser - then google and see if the same watch is on their own company site and check the difference in price. (Most are about 5%-7% more expensive on Chrono to pay their fees).

As mentioned - Watchfinder in the UK - (expensive and now part of Richemont Group)

Burlington Arcade is expensive - David Duggan has been around for years.

Some used watches are definitely cheaper in Thailand and there are plenty of trust worthy sellers.

You can start on the 5th Floor of CentralWorld - there are about half a dozen used dealers next to each other. I find "Inter Watch" the most friendly - opposite the Asiabooks pop up.

RAZZ

• Thanks 1

On 10/16/2021 at 2:06 PM, a3tsw said:

a couple of UK sites that may be of interest to you :- www.watchfinder.co.uk & www.chasingchrono.com , also a lot of good info from Paul Thorpe's youtube Channel.

If in London , check out Grays Antique Market , close to Bond St tube station , several good dealers in there.

Some more , a small arcade on the LHS if coming from Oxford St on New Bond St ,. about 150m.

Royal Arcade further down LHS again on Old Bond St.

For Classic /Vintage Rolex Burlington Arcade.

Thanks, I'll check it out soon. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/13/2021 at 5:55 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

Rolex movements are no good, then, is that what you're saying?    Mechanically, a Seiko 5 is a better bet than an Explorer?

Well, at least every Seiko (even the cheapest ones) has an entirely in-house Seiko-made movement.

Whereas, Rolex only makes part of their movement. Other parts such as the balance wheel, spring, jewels and suchlike are outsourced from another manufacturer (and therefor not Rolex made).

Legally, they can say "in-house" if a certain percentage of it is made in-house. But not very nice after spending thousands for a watch with generic stuff inside.

Rolex is just for flash characters with little taste or appreciation for timepieces.

Try comparing virtually any Rolex watch to a Grand Seiko though, lol.

Edited by FruitPudding
  • Sad 1