MorChana to have face recognition integrated, warn officials of foreigners outside designated Sandbox zones

webfact

2 hours ago, smedly said:

and apart from needing a smartphone for all this to work - I know many who don't have them - you also need a 24hr data connection - are they paying for that ?

No it doesn't. Bluetooth will work with location services... all on your phone

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

52 minutes ago, Rhacsyn said:

A very good point. Cellular tracking for all mobile phones is simple and widespread. Those with Android phones may wish to check a Covid tracking app that was loaded quietly on all phones. Go to settings, Google and Google services and there you will find Covid 19 notifications. If you don't want to be tracked make sure it is turned off. Same applies to Google location history under Privacy.

damn you are right I see some COVID exposure notification setting.  Can I remove or delete the service?  It does not appear to be an app.  It was set to OFF.

2 minutes ago, gk10012001 said:

damn you are right I see some COVID exposure notification setting.  Can I remove or delete the service?  It does not appear to be an app.  It was set to OFF.

Sorry, no idea if it can be deleted as it is a Google "service". I just keep it turned off

14 minutes ago, Rhacsyn said:

Sorry, no idea if it can be deleted as it is a Google "service". I just keep it turned off

I found a post on you tube about it.  It is easy but an indirect and seemingly crude way to get rid of it.  Damn that service or app was not on my phone a few weeks ago.   Screw big brother. This is why I still use a 3g Voice and text phone only.  My smartphone I don't use yet, except for wifi right out of the box.  No data plan or carrier yet.  Just putting it through its paces and it is clear it does things I don't want or need in the background and without my consent or even knowledge.  Not a conspiracy guy, but this one was sneaky.  I also deactived Blue Tooth so unless some tracking app turns that on, the phone won't communicate with other phones.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, gk10012001 said:

I don't yet have a so called smart phone, and don't need one.

Thank you for your post which I thoroughly agree with. Like yourself, I do not own a smartphone and use a home computer for all my needs. I also wondered what would happen if you went out and left your smartphone back in the hotel room - sign a register??? No such BS 1984 bureaucracy in the country where I now live.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

Thank you for your post which I thoroughly agree with. Like yourself, I do not own a smartphone and use a home computer for all my needs. I also wondered what would happen if you went out and left your smartphone back in the hotel room - sign a register??? No such BS 1984 bureaucracy in the country where I now live.

I am an old fashioned but still practicing engineer. I work with state of the art aerospace and defense things.  Smartphones can be marvelous devices with so many beneficial uses.  Medical status reporting, video and audio recording of important events,  Mapping apps are great for a traveler, on the spot internet searches, communications, etc.  But most people use them as toys. Spend over 1,000 USD on the latest device. Then subscription economics starts, spotify, and dozens of other things. All can be fun and enjoyable.  But growing up in a one car household, I just never got the habits of truing to keep up with the Jones'.  Now on the cusp of retiring, I am quite glad I put away and investing what I did.  My old fashioned 3g flipt top voice and text phone that I only got 10 years ago when they killed off my 2g ericsson little phone got me to retirement quite well thank you.  And nothing or few things are free or come without hooks.  All the ad collection, data collection that goes on.  So disgusting and distasteful to me.  The current generation doesn't seem to see things that way, because they are used to it.  Few really get the idea of Big Brother or invasion of privacy. At work in the defense industry as part of my clearances and jobs of course I literally sign away much of my privacy and I am sure DISCO and those agencies routinely look at my accounts, bank stuff etc.  I willfully agreed to that for the last 38 years.  But all the stuff that Google or Facebook or LinkdIn try to collect and bombard a person with ... too much. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

It's in Phuket. 

Any visitor to Phuket, Thai or Foreign, arriving from international or domestic locations needs to have Mor Chana App downloaded on their smartphone.

This is simple track and trace - which theoretically tracks people who have come into proximity with someone else who has tested positive for Covid-19. 

Additionally, the App also tracks international arrivals (Sandboxers) to ensure they have not departed Phuket (or an area of approved quarantine) for the first 7 days. 

The reality: not enough people in Thailand care about the rules - this is just hot-air, nothing will change, its too difficulty for the fundamentally apathetic ‘enforcers’ to uniformly and consistently enforce. 

I don't care about Phuket. I want to know Bangkok or Chiang Mai.

Phuket is simple. 

11 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Looks like the BMW Technology for tracking foreigners is being utilized for more than is wanted.  Next you will find is that the Cameras in all of Thailand are linked to the Immigration data base and facial recognition is being done as you just casually walk down the street to get your coffee.  Big Brother is watching your every move.  It wont be long until the camera systems at the malls are also able to be linked to their systems to track where and when you go as well as tracking how much money you spend.  Waiting to hear from the punters who visit Soi Nana, Patpong, Soi Cowboy and then Walking Street in Pattaya as well as Bangla in Phuket as having to enter through a walkway that has cameras watching your every move as well.

This is already in effect to a certain degree in the UK. I saw a documentary about a trial run where pubs link up to a database of sex offenders. As soon as a sex offender walks into the bar, facial recognition picks him up and a warning is sent to the landlord who then act accordingly.

Yes, it will come here sooner rather than later.

7 hours ago, DLock said:
12 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

It's in Phuket. 

Any visitor to Phuket, Thai or Foreign, arriving from international or domestic locations needs to have Mor Chana App downloaded on their smartphone.

This is simple track and trace - which theoretically tracks people who have come into proximity with someone else who has tested positive for Covid-19. 

Additionally, the App also tracks international arrivals (Sandboxers) to ensure they have not departed Phuket (or an area of approved quarantine) for the first 7 days. 

The reality: not enough people in Thailand care about the rules - this is just hot-air, nothing will change, its too difficulty for the fundamentally apathetic ‘enforcers’ to uniformly and consistently enforce. 

Expand  

I don't care about Phuket. I want to know Bangkok or Chiang Mai.

Phuket is simple. 

The Mor Chana App is specific to Phuket arrivals (domestic and international).

Thailand Plus is used for international arrival into Bangkok - current option is only ASQ (can’t leave the room at all).

You asked how far can you wonder from the AQ hotel - the answer is... you can’t.

OR did you mean ‘how far can you ‘get’ before authorities are alerted by your app’ ???? (geo-fencing).

Other area’s of Thailand do not have a specific track and trace app.