MorChana to have face recognition integrated, warn officials of foreigners outside designated Sandbox zones

webfact

but tourists are told to download thailand plus, not morchana.

Downloading thailand plus is not strictly enforced. And only minority use it. 

BTW morchana is inferior to thaichana, eats your bandwidth - for that I have never downloaded it.

the idea of phuket sandbox is no designated zones, tourists can travel anywhere within island. They suppose to come back to hotel and sleep there (the original plan from June was to allow them to stay at their own home, if they wished).

With this new development looks like they are going just to try on Phuket, but really to be used in new sandboxes on land, where tourists zoning will be introduced. Phuket, as an island, is completely sealed.

Judging by how thailand plus app is ignored, I don't think morchana will have any success

6 hours ago, webfact said:

PHUKET: The MorChana app has been expanded to inform officials within 30 minutes if any tourists are not in designated zones where they are supposed to remain while observing their Sandbox quarantine period, and is now integrated where possible to use face recognition software, the Minister for Digital Economy and Society (MDES) has revealed.

Welcome to Thailand... 

6 hours ago, webfact said:

The expansion of the MorChana app’s capabilities by integrating it with the command control centres was part of the move “to support the plan to open the country to receive tourists in the next phase,” Mr Chaiwut said.

This expansion is just another nail in tourism.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, phetphet said:

Next thing is it will be a requirement for all foreigners so they can track us at all times.

I am sure they are monitoring the phone celluar networks more than you might think.  The technolocy and software is readily available.  Most people are literally hand tied to their phones.  Just look at any video and you will see one hand clutching a phone.  And with 5G and beam forming technology, phone locations are known within meters.

• Thanks 1

Is the headline deliberately inflammatory???

[MorChana to have face recognition integrated, warn officials of foreigners outside designated Sandbox zones]

Which suggests a targeting of non-Thais…

The article highlights ‘tourists’ not foreigners…  the reality is that the Mor Chana App is a requirement for every ‘arrival’ in Phuket whether Thai or foreign & from domestic or international locations.

The article highlights the very purpose  of track & trace app which smacks in the face of those used to greater freedoms & personal rights.

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

Looks like the BMW Technology for tracking foreigners is being utilized for more than is wanted.  Next you will find is that the Cameras in all of Thailand are linked to the Immigration data base and facial recognition is being done as you just casually walk down the street to get your coffee.  Big Brother is watching your every move.  It wont be long until the camera systems at the malls are also able to be linked to their systems to track where and when you go as well as tracking how much money you spend.  Waiting to hear from the punters who visit Soi Nana, Patpong, Soi Cowboy and then Walking Street in Pattaya as well as Bangla in Phuket as having to enter through a walkway that has cameras watching your every move as well.

Seems the mongers will be firmly in the ‘wear your face mask camp’ !!! 

In the old days if you wanted a bit of peace then simple you put your phone in the Fridge.

If someone tried to phone there would be no ring tone + they got a message 'cannot connect try again later' 

if you switched the phone off then you got 'the phone maybe switched off'

wonder if the same thing happen these days ??

• Haha 1

So, how big is the "designated area"?

How far can I wander from the AQ hotel?

...and what will they do if I wander too far, or stay out later than I should, or leave my phone in the room "accidentally"?

This really is quite farcical and it does give me a chuckle.

Just open it up for vaccinated tourists with a 3-day COVID free test and Insurance...anything more is just stupid.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DLock said:

So, how big is the "designated area"?

How far can I wander from the AQ hotel?

...and what will they do if I wander too far, or stay out later than I should, or leave my phone in the room "accidentally"?

This really is quite farcical and it does give me a chuckle.

Just open it up for vaccinated tourists with a 3-day COVID free test and Insurance...anything more is just stupid.

It's in Phuket. 

Any visitor to Phuket, Thai or Foreign, arriving from international or domestic locations needs to have Mor Chana App downloaded on their smartphone.

This is simple track and trace - which theoretically tracks people who have come into proximity with someone else who has tested positive for Covid-19. 

Additionally, the App also tracks international arrivals (Sandboxers) to ensure they have not departed Phuket (or an area of approved quarantine) for the first 7 days. 

The reality: not enough people in Thailand care about the rules - this is just hot-air, nothing will change, its too difficulty for the fundamentally apathetic ‘enforcers’ to uniformly and consistently enforce. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gk10012001 said:

I am sure they are monitoring the phone celluar networks more than you might think.  The technolocy and software is readily available.  Most people are literally hand tied to their phones.  Just look at any video and you will see one hand clutching a phone.  And with 5G and beam forming technology, phone locations are known within meters.

A very good point. Cellular tracking for all mobile phones is simple and widespread. Those with Android phones may wish to check a Covid tracking app that was loaded quietly on all phones. Go to settings, Google and Google services and there you will find Covid 19 notifications. If you don't want to be tracked make sure it is turned off. Same applies to Google location history under Privacy.